AmboLander

FDM2012

Adventurer
Finally installed my 5000 BTU A/C for when on shore power, or my generator.

Along with using some adhesive insulation tape, (put it on all mating surfaces) I bought some random A/C ducting material at Lowes,
and engineered it to my liking.

Ideally, I would have used this whole space to vent the heat out, but I really did not want to start cutting frame, and whatnot...
IMG_20171012_192116.jpg
So, I just downsized it and made the best of it.
IMG_20171015_125046.jpg
It fits good and snug, and only a little bit of the air flow is restricted coming off
of the condenser. (About 2'' on one side.)

IMG_20171020_141223.jpg
IMG_20171020_141213.jpg
I still have a shelf in the cabinet (above the unit) to put stuff in, so that is cool.
IMG_20171020_154341.jpg
I pulled the vents off of an Ambo carcass at a wrecking yard (last November), that is only 20 minutes away.
The air/heat is expelling through them better than I thought it would.
IMG_20171020_151730.jpg
I installed a bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the pan on the A/C unit, and have another one on the way, for the exterior drain.
As you can see, it is draining nicely!
IMG_20171020_161529.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Looks good Eric, but I have a few questions.

1. Did you put any kind of screen under those exterior vents to keep the critters and no-see-ums out?

2. I see the drain hose, but is the AC unit sitting on an angle so all of the condensate will drain efficiently, and not slosh out when you drive away?

3. Those look like the same model Frigidaire AC Units I have for hurricane backup. If I remember correctly, the vents on the side are where the outside air enters, is pulled across the compressor and condenser, and then expelled through the back vents. This exterior air flow is supposed to be separate from the interior airflow that enters from the front and is discharged through the front.

So the question is, did you make any provisions to keep the two separate? Is there a way for the side vents to get air from the exterior or is it just drawing inside air, which will lower the efficiency quiet a bit?

I'm not trying to fault your installation by any means, but I was considering a similar installation in the upper right front corner where the factory AC unit was, and these are questions which I had not come up with answers for. Plus, I didn't want the vents facing forward and subject to 70 mph wind and rain while driving.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Looks good. Does it cool well?

I am only one day in, and only ran it for 45 minutes yesterday. Started out at about 94 degrees,
and when I shut it off, it was 81 degrees. More tomorrow......

Looks good Eric, but I have a few questions.

1. Did you put any kind of screen under those exterior vents to keep the critters and no-see-ums out?

2. I see the drain hose, but is the AC unit sitting on an angle so all of the condensate will drain efficiently,
and not slosh out when you drive away?

3. Those look like the same model Frigidaire AC Units I have for hurricane backup. If I remember correctly,
the vents on the side are where the outside air enters, is pulled across the compressor and condenser,
and then expelled through the back vents. This exterior air flow is supposed to be separate from the
interior airflow that enters from the front and is discharged through the front.

So the question is, did you make any provisions to keep the two separate? Is there a way for the side vents
to get air from the exterior or is it just drawing inside air, which will lower the efficiency quiet a bit?

I'm not trying to fault your installation by any means, but I was considering a similar installation in the upper
right front corner where the factory AC unit was, and these are questions which I had not come up with
answers for. Plus, I didn't want the vents facing forward and subject to 70 mph wind and rain while driving.

Come on now, Pat. You know i am just winging it!!

No screen yet. Not sure that I am concerned about such a small critter that could squeeze between the condenser fins!
But, I have might still do it.

The bottom pan isn't perfectly flat, and I put the fitting in dip (the lowest spot). Currently,
the rig is so heavy on that side, that it has a slight and useful lean. I am hoping to do my
SRW project soon, and that will level it out. So,
I will keep an eye on that.

Currently, other than the condenser output, I do not have the rear of the A/C vented to the outside.
When I was in my "IRMA PREP MODE", I ran it in a house window with my little Predator 2000 generator,
(which did awesome running the A/C and my big kitchen fridge at the same time),
and with toilet paper, I couldn't really detect any noticeable intake on those side vent.
I have considered doing some interior venting for it, though. I'll know more after more run time,
but most likely, I will just remove those window wings, and let it circulate around inside the cabinet,
and maybe put some vents in the side of the cabinet to allow for a little bit of intake. I dunno....

Even if not perfectly efficient, my outlook is that I will never use it enough to actually take significant
life off of the unit itself, plus they are cheap to replace. The actual performance, is what I am mostly focused on.

Other than tweaking, I have that project in my rear view. Now onto wrapping my up and down pipes,
and tackling some of the high mileage preventative maintenance tasks like rebuilding my turbo and installing
a new starter. I am chipping away at a short checklist, before it goes up on stands for a while, to do the SRW.
Which will require some serious fender mods x4, machine work on front hubs, front coils (already in hand from AGILE),
bumper cutting, rear fender flare fabbing, and several smashed fingernails, I'm sure!

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Even if not perfectly efficient, my outlook is that I will never use it enough to actually take significant
life off of the unit itself, plus they are cheap to replace. The actual performance, is what I am mostly focused on.

When I mentioned efficiency, I wasn't referring to the life of the unit, I was referring to how well it will cool the interior. If the condenser fan is constantly pulling air from inside the unit and pumping it outside, then that air is being replaced in the cabin with hot air from the outside somehow.

I may have to do a temporary install like that myself, so I was just wondering what you had come up with for those situations, if anything. :)

FDM2012

Adventurer
Just had to burst my bubble, didn't you? lol

Okay, okay, you got me. That's what I like about this forum. Plenty of people with friendly advice, and QC.

I will figure out something with some of the remaining carcass vent parts....and leave the window wings in.

IMG_20171021_102539.jpg

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Hehehe, we both live in Florida, but it'a a lot hotter where you are than it is where I am!

FDM2012

Adventurer
So, I have been putting some attention to this since last week. Yours was spinning faster than mine, and
mine even had a little drag to it. The starter has been on my long list of items to change/upgrade, so i went
ahead and did it.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The motor almost seems to jump out off of the mounts. The gear
reduction starter is so much better/stronger/faster!

It was straight forward, and took less than an hour.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP7VV68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20171024_162143.jpg

Here is how long it takes to start once I start cranking:

No cold starts yet, haven't had the van that long. Seems like it should crank quicker? Or is it just me?

FDM2012

Adventurer
Just finished rebuilding the turbo and wrapped the up/down pipes. It is purring, and it did quiet the engine noise a bit. Happy about that.

I need to do more driving to see if EGT's were helped any....

IMG_20171028_122638.jpg
IMG_20171028_184240.jpg
IMG_20171028_184003.jpg
IMG_20171105_153523.jpg
IMG_20171105_154449.jpg

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Sweat...... glad it helped.

Speaking of turbo's. [Rant on]Think my Turbo just blew in my VW TDI...... an hour away from home of course. Lost power and now throws amazing White Mosquito control Fog (smoke) [Rant off] Made a new friend. It is parked at his house. I bought something Big (Ambulance body) from him so he was nice. Generater powerd Ambo box so it will work perfect on my trailer...... as a mobile Tool box.... cheaper than a garage. Will use a Awning like thing to work under.

Village Idiot
So, I have been putting some attention to this since last week. Yours was spinning faster than mine, and
mine even had a little drag to it. The starter has been on my long list of items to change/upgrade, so i went
ahead and did it.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The motor almost seems to jump out off of the mounts. The gear
reduction starter is so much better/stronger/faster!

It was straight forward, and took less than an hour.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP7VV68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 422492

I'm gonna have to give this a try.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Today, I finished cutting back the pass through area from when I removed the sliders, and trimmed
it with some extra molding that I had left over from the remodel.
It is a noticeable difference from when viewing forward from the rear bench seats.

IMG_20171105_145833.jpg

I also notched out behind the drivers seat. I have 2 herniated discs in my neck, and sitting
so upright was killing me. MUCH improved!

IMG_20171105_145735.jpg

It was only in mid 80's here in Tampa today, but it sure was nice working in a 74 degrees box.
The little window unit A/C was worth the effort!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles