AmboLander

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Sorry, but I hacked it up pretty good last year when experimenting with improving induction. It has been at the landfill for quite some time now.... My current set up (along with many other mods) has well exceeded the stock configuration.

No worries... if I had deep pockets I'd buy a new one... but until then I'm still looking.

FDM2012

Adventurer
After saving my pennies for a while, waiting for South Florida to finally cool off, and drinking a
few pots of coffee (and tequila), I just did this to my Quigley:

Completed my Agile 4x4 RIP package by installing the springs that I have had sitting on a shelf for a year,
by installing their front coil springs.
New hubs from East Coast Gear
All new wheel bearing sets
Upper Kingpin bushings
Lower Kingpin Bearing sets and seals
Adjustable Lower Kingpins (for Camber)
New ujoints in front axle shafts
Hawk brake pads
Cut the fenders
Refit the front flares to fit said fenders
Mickey Thompson 375/65R16 MTZ P3's on Cragar 16x10 rims, –34 offset
Random fab work, cleaning, and painting.

It was all pretty straight forward stuff. The only thing that slowed me down was the machine shops putting
in my ujoints, and the machine work to make the rotors ABS compatible. (See pics) Oh, and the ID plates on the
Hawk pads. I had to remove them. They were each .025 thick, and that was the difference of getting them on
over the fat new rotors.

I cut A LOT from the fenders and fenders wells to make these fit without any rubbing. I was motivated for the tires, so
I didn't even blink. That what saws and grinders are for, right?

I may still trim the flares a bit to give it a more lifted look, but I am quite happy with where it is at right now. I ‘m not
into the whole “SkyJacker” thing.......

I have one flare to finish, and then it's off to the alignment shop. I am hoping for ZERO Death Wobble at highway speeds!

Anyways, there it is, and on to the next project, which many of you will get a kick out of. That's after the road trip to
Dallas for the holidays, of course. I'm on short time this trip, and not any real excursions planned in, so I am actually leaning
towards taking the Limo for this one...

Conversion 1.jpg
Conversion 2.jpg
Conversion 4.jpg
Conversion 5.jpg
IMG_20150514_204451.jpg

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
Looking great!!
I never installed the tone rings so my abs is currently inoperable. Someday I will but have not had any issues running without.
You should not have any wobble issues.
I have the rip kit and currently 35 x 12.5 tires.
Even ran 37’s for awhile with no wobble issues.
The 37 were really noisy on highway however and had some balance issues.
The only time I had quigley death wobble was on my old van when one of the lower control arms rusted away and became unstable.

I like the look of the wide tires on yours!!

cjken

Explorer
What year is yours
My 95 has a totally different Dana 60
Ball joints which I replaced earlier this yr. no kingpin setup. Odd.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I got it from a shuttle company in Orlando that went out of business.

I mostly use it for when friends/family come to visit, and occasionally for work.

I originally bought it to make into a 4x4 and bugout rig, but then opted for the Ambo,
and just never got around to selling it.

Where did you find the limo? I have been looking for one like that for a long time.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
I say still make the limo a 4X4, maybe coilover for the nicer ride.
Ambo looks great! Love the fat meats and everything else.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Rail on top. (Came off my old boat) Somehow, I will rope the 120lb spare up there!
I did the standard 1/4'' self tapper with silicone thing, and many of them went into some of the
aluminum rafters, so I feel pretty good about it. Will just strap the tire down for my upcoming trip,
but will soon do a more robust mount with some sort of a lock. I mean, it is a $500+ spare!

IMG_20171216_173013.jpg

Also changed the coolant. It has had something green in it ever since I bought it, so figured now was
a good a time as any to make it right.
IMG_20171216_084718.jpg

I'm driving it straight to the Dallas area for the holidays again this year, and am hoping for some kind
of a detour on the way home. Even if it is just up to my buddies cabin in Blue Ridge, Ga.
Just SOMETHING/SOMEWHERE with not so much pavement.........!!

All I have left to do to it is put on a new steering stabilizer. A certain offroad shop sent me SHOCK to use
as one. Yes, a shock, not a damper. Started telling me it would work better if it was under constant load,
like leaning on a wall or some crap. I kid you not.
They also said that if I take it off and it doesn't seem to have any issues, then to just run it without one.
My response was a little heated, to say the least. But a QUIGLEY on 36x15's WITHOUT a quality stabilizer?I THINK NOT.
I will not smear them by name, but I also will no longer recommend or promote them in any way.
#VERYDisappointed.......

I did get it aligned at a very reputable frame shop, and it feels pretty good. It's a little grabby on certain roads,
but it doesn't have any pull or hard veering, or anything. I am confident that the stabilizer will tighten it up a bit,
and dial it in the rest of the way.
The tires noise is also NOT nearly as loud as I thought it would be. Happy about that, but, I haven't had it
over 50 yet, either....

Anyways, I am already planning my next project for this thing when I get back. I have most of the parts already,
and I think/know MANY of you will get a kick out of it.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yep, looking good Eric!

BTW, how is that window unit A/C install doing? Still no problems with water leaking inside, etc?

FDM2012

Adventurer
Awesome progress!!!
Can't wait to see the next project.

Thx Ken. 2 projects, actually. One being the surprise, and the other being my spare tire mount.

I attempted to do a roof mount, but it was HUGE up there. Looked stupid..... And it is also waaay too
big for my front cargo rack. So, for my upcoming trip, I will just carry it inside.
I already have a swinging rear mount, but just haven't gotten to it.

I am really wanting to get up to your neck of the woods, and up to the Adirondacks this spring. If so,
I will see if you want to do an Ambo rendezvous!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke