RTT Expedition Trailer V2.0

ljrunner05

Adventurer
I love camping. I've been hammock camping for the last 12 years, and was tent camping with my father before that. Add to that a love of jeeps and exploring and it's a recipe for fun. My hammocks have upgraded from an old ENO to a Hennessy Jungle Hammock, and my jeeps have gone from a 2000 Cherokee to a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited.

After getting married I decided it was time to upgrade from hammocks to a RTT so my wife and I could relax in comfort. I found a craigslist "off road" trailer for cheap, added a ladder rack and Tepui tent. It's served it's purpose for the last few months, but it's time to upgrade.

I've got a 6 day KAT expedition coming up the end of this month, so my father and I are trying our best to get this trailer ready in time.

In version 2.0 I started with a list of requirements(not necessarily in order). To start with my old trailer was too high up while traveling. On the new trailer I wanted a RTT Lift. Second I needed on board water storage. A couple 5 gallon jugs from walmart is great, but I'd prefer to have a larger tank on board with a propane instant hot water heater for longer trips. Third is off-road capability and clearance. Forth is kayak storage.

With the idea's flowing my dad, Mudicon on the forum, started helping me come up with ideas. He already has a offroad trailer that we'll be stealing ideas from.

Old Trailer:
IMG_0945.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg

The start of the new trailer: :sombrero:

IMG_1364.jpg

Last edited:

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Day 1:
My dad took his trailer over to the local steel yard and came back with most of what we needed to get started.
IMG_1365.jpg

This trailer will be built in two major parts. The upper body, and the frame. The frame will consist of a thick 2 inch steel backbone with a second welded cross section to support the suspension. The body will be bolted down to that. For us, that means we can remove the suspension and set the body off if needed. It also means I can pull the jeep out of a rut by the trailer if we ever had to. The backbone will basically be an extension of the frame of the jeep. (Jeep to receiver to solid steel backbone to receiver on the back of the trailer.) Hopefully I won't get that stuck and have to test that theory.

We started with the body. Once we found a level spot on the floor, the welding started and grinding started.

IMG_1362.jpg
IMG_1371.jpg
IMG_1375.jpg
IMG_1377.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg

Not bad for Day 1!

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Day 2

I'd imagine day 2 will look an awful lot like day 1. Welding and grinding, but it's starting to take shape quicker than I ever imagined.

IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg

Mudicon found these awesome hinges at Lowes. They allowed us to make a swinging tailgate that opened wide, but closed inside the tailgate frame. When it's done, the tailgate will transform into a table. It will be one of the last things we finish up, so I guess you'll just have to follow along until we are done! :sombrero:

IMG_1411.jpg
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg

This about sums up Day 2. We made a lot of progress, and have a lot more to go. The next thing will be skinning the body, and getting the frame complete. We'll have the frame notched and welded professionally, so I won't have a ton of pics of that.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Got another weekend free to come down to Alabama and work with my dad on the trailer. He made some progress during the evenings so there maybe a few missed steps. No way I could have done this without Mudicon!

Day 3:

Mudicon was able to get the frame welded and painted by the time I came down for another weekend. He also had the plates for the axles and receiver tube welded on. It looks awesome!

IMG_1549.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg

Day 3 we started welding the sheet steel sides onto the trailer, and bolted the body down to the frame. We also cut some plywood for the 30 gallon water tank to rest on.

IMG_1532.jpg
IMG_1533.jpg
IMG_1536.jpg
IMG_1538.jpg

As we continued on through the afternoon we got the second side skinned, and started on the telescoping tubes. Mudicon cut the tubing where the tubes would go, then welded them back solid to the tube. As you can see, the first one is mostly done with the support on top.

IMG_1555.jpg
IMG_1559.jpg

It's been 3 Full days, plus some evenings by Mudicon, and we already have the suspension, frame, body and part of the tent mounts done.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Day 4:

Day 4 was our first test drive, but prior to that we wanted to start on the wood rack. For those wondering why the body of the trailer stuck out so far we planned for a wood rack on the front.

IMG_1563.jpg

Wood rack is starting to come together.

IMG_1568.jpg

All hooked up to Mudicon's Hemi Commander and ready to go. This thing has crazy good clearance!

IMG_1569.jpg

Not sure I got any pics of us traveling down the road, but it did perfect. Pulled straight, it was no rattles or bouncing even with minimal weight.

IMG_1571.jpg

That about sums up day 4. We did start to skin the top, but I didn't get many good pics of that. More to come!

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Day 5:

This last weekend I went down to Alabama to work some more on the trailer with Mudicon. We are getting close, but have to be done by the 25th of this month for our KAT trip.

Let's start with some pics!

Got the water tank and flooring installed. The pump and pressure tank are all connected up and ready for testing.

IMG_1893.jpg

Mudicon spraying on the rubber coating.

IMG_1890.jpg

Getting the rest of the tent supports welded together. We were a little worried. If everything wasn't perfect, it would get bound up and not move.

IMG_1898.jpg
IMG_1896.jpg

First Test of the telescoping tent rack!

IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg

No worries, it worked perfectly! We then used the forklift to set the tent on top.

IMG_1907.jpg
IMG_1912.jpg

To say we were excited would be a drastic understatement. Everything is finally coming together.

IMG_1915.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg

Last but not least we drilled the holes and pushed the pins through. I've got a few more pics to upload, but I hit my 10 attachment limit. BRB. :sombrero:

ljrunner05

Adventurer
So we took the jeep and trailer for a test run. It pulls great, the suspension is perfect. I couldn't be happier. We've got a few things left before the trip. Fenders, Lights, tailgate and the floor of the firewood rack. One more day of work and it will be ready for the KAT!

Here are a few pics we took after the test run.

IMG_1928.jpgIMG_1926.jpgIMG_1923.jpgIMG_1929.jpgIMG_1941.jpgIMG_1943.jpg

More updates to come after next weekend!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Wow, that's nice. I'm going to have to look at that a little closer someday soon. :ylsmoke:

Is that a Timbren axle-less system I see there? I've got a dream in my mind of building my own trailer and had that picked out for it. Looks like it really adds some clearance underneath.

Edit: on second thought, Not Timbren? What is that? Looks like trailing arm landing gear off an airplane ha ha.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
Wow, that's nice. I'm going to have to look at that a little closer someday soon. :ylsmoke:

Is that a Timbren axle-less system I see there? I've got a dream in my mind of building my own trailer and had that picked out for it. Looks like it really adds some clearance underneath.

Edit: on second thought, Not Timbren? What is that? Looks like trailing arm landing gear off an airplane ha ha.

Yes, yes you should check it out soon! lol

We looked at the Timbren, but they were a little pricey. Here is the torsion axles I got instead:
http://www.easternmarine.com/flexiride-torsion-half-axles-fr-140b-2

Either way you go works and have a tremendous amount of clearance!

Mudicon

Have trail...will travel

After a bunch of research, these really looked to be the best option...and we have not been disappointed.

ljrunner05

Adventurer
I've got a few updates, but not many pictures. We were in a time rush on Father's Day and I didn't take the extra time to snap many pics.

We had a lot of little things to finish up this last weekend. First and foremost was trailer lights. We got those run with little trouble early in the morning. The next thing was attaching the fenders.

IMG_1970.jpg

Just a FYI for anyone building a trailer, do your trailer lights after you are 100% certain you won't be doing any more welding. Otherwise you'll get to pull your melted wires, and run new ones. :oops:

IMG_1972.jpg

The fenders are perfect for this trailer. They were a good Northern Tool find.

IMG_1973.jpg

Next up is the steps / fender mount / tree deflectors. :sombrero:

IMG_1974.jpg

I haven't decided if I want expanded metal or diamond plate to cover the steps. Thoughts anyone?

IMG_1976.jpg

This week I'm finishing up the little things including a plywood bottom for the wood rack and having the diamond plate broke over. I also ran silicon around the trailer edges to try and keep out water. It won't make it a boat, but it should lessen the flooding during creek crossings.

I may have one more update before our Kentucky Adventure Trails trip starting this weekend. I'll have plenty of pics and a "How she did" write-up after we get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz