Mounting Autohome Maggi to Frontrunner Slimline II rack

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Pretty sure I've located a used AH Maggi (small) for my 2008 4-Runner that I hope to bring home soon.

I went to the Frontrunner website and it looks like they sell Maggiolina specific mounting brackets for my roof-rack.

Has anyone out there mounted this RTT to this rack set-up? Do I only need those brackets regardless of the size of the tent?
I noticed they also sell RTT brackets that fill the gap between the slats of the rack and the top edge.....not sure if I need those too?

Hopefully that's not too confusing.

Thanks,

Nate

Lc80series

Did you get this figured out? I have a gx470 with the same FR rack and considering a small Maggiolina but it seems it will be difficult to mount.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Yes I did get it sorted out with a little work.

My small Maggi sits on the edge of the Frontrunner rack very nicely.

I did discover the bolts that came with the Frontrunner hardware were too short.

I'm considering adding some weatherstripping between the rack and the tent in hopes of solving a rattle I can't seem to locate. Doing that will require going to a little longer bolts but that's easy to do.

I do like having the tent mounted on my truck but also miss the functionality of the roof-rack.

Everything is a trade-off.....

Nate

Lc80series

Thanks for your response. If it's not too much of a pain, mind helping a fellow Tucsonan out and posting some pics of how it's mounted? You just went with the FR Maggi brackets with longer bolts? I'm on the fence weather to bite the bullet for a Maggi or get a GordiGear soft cover tent. Pros and cons to both but thinking I'll be happier with the Maggi in the long run.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Thanks for your response. If it's not too much of a pain, mind helping a fellow Tucsonan out and posting some pics of how it's mounted? You just went with the FR Maggi brackets with longer bolts? I'm on the fence weather to bite the bullet for a Maggi or get a GordiGear soft cover tent. Pros and cons to both but thinking I'll be happier with the Maggi in the long run.

PM sent

DoKarider16

Observer
Just in the process of mounting my Maggiolina tent to my Front Runner Rack. The bolts are about 1" too short. Not really sure how Front Runner Thinks these bolts will would work. The only way I can see them working is if you had an extended length rack and small tent? Not sure but hoping to have it done in a little bit. Trying to decide if I need something between the tent rails and the crossbars on the rack. I don't really like it just supported by the rails on the rack.

If you go Maggiolina you will be happy. Super easy to put up and down stays dry and no condensation in really cold temps.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Just in the process of mounting my Maggiolina tent to my Front Runner Rack. The bolts are about 1" too short. Not really sure how Front Runner Thinks these bolts will would work. The only way I can see them working is if you had an extended length rack and small tent? Not sure but hoping to have it done in a little bit. Trying to decide if I need something between the tent rails and the crossbars on the rack. I don't really like it just supported by the rails on the rack.

If you go Maggiolina you will be happy. Super easy to put up and down stays dry and no condensation in really cold temps.

I ran into the same problem. After driving 6 hours down to NM to p/u my tent, I discovered the supplied bolts were too short. Thanks to Frenchie (seller) for being so patient and helping me get the tent mounted correctly after a quick trip to Lowes.

I never contacted Frontrunner but maybe should so other can avoid the PITA of discovering "too short" bolts.

Agree....otherwise I'm loving the Maggi on my 4-Runner.

Nate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior