PVC sleeping platform in a 2010 Xterra X

scarysharkface

Explorer
Sounds like we might run across each other. I'm headed up north July 24-Aug 5. Couple days in Glacier, two nights in Crowsnest Pass, take the Forestry Trunk Road to Nordegg for the night, then on to Jasper. Four days in Jasper, then down the Icefields Parkway to Banff for a couple days before going home.

Absolutely amazing country up there.

I kind of think Muncho Lake is about the only scenery comparable. The Forestry Trunk Road looks good. Is it doable with standard tires? I had kevlar tires (and two spares) on the Jeep and could go pretty much anywhere, but the Xterra has cheap off-brand tires that I'm keeping because they're still practically new. I do carry a good full-size spare, plug kit and inflator, but recognize that there is a difference between a puncture and a cut.

John

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I kind of think Muncho Lake is about the only scenery comparable. The Forestry Trunk Road looks good. Is it doable with standard tires? I had kevlar tires (and two spares) on the Jeep and could go pretty much anywhere, but the Xterra has cheap off-brand tires that I'm keeping because they're still practically new. I do carry a good full-size spare, plug kit and inflator, but recognize that there is a difference between a puncture and a cut.

John

Totally doable. It's a bit washboarded and sometimes the rocks are a bit bigger, but it's a dirt road at heart. I did it aired down, but I don't think it's 100% necessary.

madmax718

Explorer
wide duffle bags make quick work of moving stuff around. I used pile stuff on top of the inflatable (I use a 3.5" from REI- its really pretty comfortable ) or deflate and re roll up, but that got tiring fast. I did find however that having all your bedding on a net (with just 1" pvc rod so all your bedding doesnt get mushed into the center) you can just raise your bedding to the roof liner. Your pillow, blankets, and pad stay right where they are. Just move all the stuff to the front seat and the front seat floor. I actually sized totes and bags to fit in the front. 5 minutes to get this done isn't so terrible as deflating and inflating.

scarysharkface

Explorer
wide duffle bags make quick work of moving stuff around. I used pile stuff on top of the inflatable (I use a 3.5" from REI- its really pretty comfortable ) or deflate and re roll up, but that got tiring fast. I did find however that having all your bedding on a net (with just 1" pvc rod so all your bedding doesnt get mushed into the center) you can just raise your bedding to the roof liner. Your pillow, blankets, and pad stay right where they are. Just move all the stuff to the front seat and the front seat floor. I actually sized totes and bags to fit in the front. 5 minutes to get this done isn't so terrible as deflating and inflating.

That's a great idea, except that I don't have the cargo hooks on the ceiling. Might still work though. One thing we're looking into is either a large sheepskin (or two) or cowhide to sleep on, or even a 2" or 3" memory foam mattress topper as an option (Which I fear might be too warm). I like the ideal of lifting the bedding out of the way. Hmmm. So much to think about, but all the suggestions here have been great.

Thanks,
John

scarysharkface

Explorer
We rediscovered an old sheepskin mattress pad we'd put in storage some time ago. It's queen size, but should work just fine and we didn't have to buy anything this time.

i-h65xSGR-L.jpg

John

scarysharkface

Explorer
Figured out the screens thing. Bought screen fabric and cut into pieces that are easily held in place by flexible magnets (bought a roll of that, too). Not very elegant, but it just takes a minute to setup or take down. I installed air deflectors so the windows can be cracked in the rain.

i-BJr97mn-L.jpg

Sleeping pads will ultimately end up under the sheepskin, but I wanted to verify that we fit and test out our getting in and out of the vehicle with the platform in place. It's kind of difficult, but doable. The worst part is not tracking sand/mud/whatever into the vehicle, so shoes/sandals need to come off first. The challenge is getting them back on when exiting the vehicle. We'll figure it out.

i-MnG2RvX-L.jpg

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior