Patrol Info Needed

Patrollife

Explorer
I lost a good amount of acceleration with my Shorty, mostly when 4x4 is not engaged and going up hills, after I put all that extra weight on her, e.g. 35" tires, defense bars, RTT, slide out drawers with all my gear, etc. But before that she ran like a race car! On flat or slightly inclined surfaces she runs great, still loads of power! It's just the steep inclines that get me, but that was too be expected. My buddy's LC RJ70 (pictured herein) has the same slow climbs, and he runs a gas engine.

And if we talk torque, man, there's nothing like it. The GQs are torque beasts. If you can replace the GQ diffs and CV joints with a GU, you have got an even stronger, more bulletproof patrol. I used to have a picture showing the difference but can't find it on my phone.

I am currently looking into adding a turbo to my Shorty, but want to source the parts from Australia and get it right. Everything in Guate is generic when it comes to the Patrol turbo, or I'm just not looking in the right places.

Well said on a lot fronts, Jampatrol!

4575623ec2c252f12902db091f5d7560.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jampatrol

Observer
I lost a good amount of acceleration with my Shorty, mostly when 4x4 is not engaged and going up hills, after I put all that extra weight on her, e.g. 35" tires, defense bars, RTT, slide out drawers with all my gear, etc. But before that she ran like a race car! On flat or slightly inclined surfaces she runs great, still loads of power! It's just the steep inclines that get me, but that was too be expected. My buddy's LC RJ70 (pictured herein) has the same slow climbs, and he runs a gas engine.

And if we talk torque, man, there's nothing like it. The GQs are torque beasts. If you can replace the GQ diffs and CV joints with a GU, you have got an even stronger, more bulletproof patrol. I used to have a picture showing the difference but can't find it on my phone.

I am currently looking into adding a turbo to my Shorty, but want to source the parts from Australia and get it right. Everything in Guate is generic when it comes to the Patrol turbo, or I'm just not looking in the right places.

Well said on a lot fronts, Jampatrol!

4575623ec2c252f12902db091f5d7560.jpg

Yes, you could go with one of the kits from Australia. I don't know if you have read it yet but take a look at this post: http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/canadian-part-cross-reference-65/canadian-turbo-conversion-298114/

Jampatrol

Observer
The CV joints off the Gu are the difference. The ball is much bigger. A conversion is possible if you can source the outer parts of the axle. The steering box of the later GQs are also the ticket. I have seen your pics :). You could use some of the stronger parts.

Patrollife

Explorer
The CV joints off the Gu are the difference. The ball is much bigger. A conversion is possible if you can source the outer parts of the axle. The steering box of the later GQs are also the ticket. I have seen your pics :). You could use some of the stronger parts.

I plan to do the swap at some point. During the next year I would like to get the Shorty in the shop for restoration and new paint, and to fix a few aesthetics that have been bothering me.

Topher7

Chris
Lots to take in, thanks! I've been looking over patrol4x4.com and it seems exactly like the kind of site I was looking for. I don't foresee a huge amount of punishment for the vehicle we purchase in Nicaragua but I would prefer to be over prepared/built then not. I see reliability, ease of use, and accessibility to exploring the country as our priorities for this vehicle - extreme offroading is not on the docket but not out of the question depending on where we find ourselves on the journey.

-Chris

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Patrols have a number of things about them that make them better than a Land Cruiser.

Super buff frame, fully boxed with lot's of cross members
Better designed suspension, for example on an 80-series Land Cruiser the rear shocks are mounted in front of the axle, on a Patrol behind the axle. Front is a radius arm like a Land Cruiser but it is designed a little different and keeps the radius arms higher for more clearance. Flat belly on a Patrol.

Just about everything you could buy for a Jeep or Land Cruiser you can get for a Patrol. It is just that most of it is not here in the USA> You can upgrade the axle shafts, RCV makes both 4340 and 300m shafts for the Patrols. I hear a GU steering box is also an upgrade.

Cheers

Jampatrol

Observer
Heard the same about the GU steering box upgrade

The series 11 GQs also have the larger box. With the GQ box it's a straight bolt in. With the GU, I believe you have to use the draglink or tie rod from that vehicle as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior