Ford Excursion Build?

5HUB

Observer
I'm thinking of a possible build using my Ford Excursion. I've done many mods to make it a great daily driver.
Any other Excursion builds out there? I've searched but haven't been able to find much. Trying to get some inspiration on how to build.
image.jpeg

texasboy893

I'm mostly a lurker as I can't afford to build an expedition vehicle right now. Just wanted to say super nice excursion man. I like the 6.7 conversion and that you matched the rear wheel wells to the front.

What are your plans for it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5HUB

Observer
I'm guessing for the moment some different wheels, roof rack, bumpers and a winch.
Just finished up suspension swap. Huge improvement to ride and especially turning radius.

justcuz

Explorer
Just a couple that I can recall. Search for Off Road New Hampshire, he runs one and I think he is installing a extending camper style roof on his.
These are a good strong platforms to build from.
Did you convert to coil spring front suspension? Are the 2010 rear springs longer?

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Ford-trucks.com, the Excursion section. Chock full of slavering Excursion fan-boys who've done all kinds of interesting modifications. A wealth of info.

KSL22

Adventurer
#1 mod is to drill the rear barn door for a cup holder. I found the one I used at a boat shop. That way you don't knock off the unloading beer. I tried to wire a light into the underside of the top door for a camp light but the cheep ones I found / used didn't do much.

Brackets for a roof rack using the factory rails was a piece of cake. I wish I still had pictures. i think I had 1/8"X1 about 2.5" long with a bolt running up though the center and a not on the top. A 1" spacer as part of the bracket had it just clearing the arch of the roof. spacer had a larger hole drilled into the bottom to clear the nut letting it sit flush on the inside / flat portion of the rails. I used a confer van rack and added about 20" into the center to get the length / look I wanted.

Mako1114

Adventurer
Your Excursion looks great. There is a black colored Ex in my area that is lifted with a height similar to yours and it has an ARB front bumper and Buckstop rear bumper and they compliment the vehicle nicely.

Cheers

RPhil

Adventurer
There aren't very many Excursion "Expedition" builds from what I have researched (aside from the aforementioned Exploring New Hampshire - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120064-ExploringNH-s-2000-Ford-Excursion-build). There is another build thread where all of the pictures were unfortunately lost that contained a very well-put together machine: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/30805-Intro-Ford-Excursion-ExPo-Style. It was eventually sold to a new owner, and the for sale thread is at the end of his build thread. Great source of inspiration there, as well.

I am surprised that the Excursion hasn't taken off as a more popular Expedition vehicle. The biggest downfall is its size (although that could be considered a benefit, depending on your needs). You can find the V10's for very cheap if you are on a budget. I personally just picked up a 2000 Limited V10 4WD with 157k for 2800. I already performed the V/B spring swap and threw on some 285/75R17s. I plan on eventually turning it into a multi purpose machine- camping/fishing trips, snowboarding trips, winter storm duty, and Expedition style trips. I haven't started a build thread yet, but plan to in the near future.

Good luck with your decisions and I am looking forward to your progress.

Pangle

Wanderer
I did a mild Excursion build, Paint, lift, interior platform, and maintenance items.. "2004 Excursion must do mods" May not be much interest to you as you have already a ton of work into yours but ya never know! Let me know if you have any questions, I also did a quigley van and currently doing a Type 1 ambo..

cmayer

I personally just picked up a 2000 Limited V10 4WD with 157k for 2800. I already performed the V/B spring swap and threw on some 285/75R17s. I plan on eventually turning it into a multi purpose machine- camping/fishing trips, snowboarding trips, winter storm duty, and Expedition style trips. I haven't started a build thread yet, but plan to in the near future.

Good luck with your decisions and I am looking forward to your progress.

I just picked up a '00 Limited with V10 and 144k as well. New custom springs front and rear springs, net 3" lift, bilstein 5100s all around, 285/75R17s and now it's a decent tow vehicle. The Ex replaced my '06 F250 6.0 and so far no complaints; the wife wanted third row seating and entertainment for the kids.

RPhil

Adventurer
I just picked up a '00 Limited with V10 and 144k as well. New custom springs front and rear springs, net 3" lift, bilstein 5100s all around, 285/75R17s and now it's a decent tow vehicle. The Ex replaced my '06 F250 6.0 and so far no complaints; the wife wanted third row seating and entertainment for the kids.

Sounds like we have twin trucks. I also put Bilstein 5100s all around (from CaryT over at the Ford-Truck forums... I believe he is on here as well).

justcuz

Explorer
You guys need to post up photos and current modification lists. Share the wealth.
Every 6 to 8 months we get an Excursion question and usually have to point people to another forum to see modified Excursions.

5HUB

Observer
Looking to change out wheels, considering changing wheels to 18s and staying with
35s or possibly going up to 37s. Curious if ride quality would be better?
IMG_9455.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8832.jpg
    IMG_8832.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

elpoffroad

Adventurer
awesome conversion on the excursion. Im starting to build mine and wife and I agreed that we will use the excursion only for long trips and overlanding. Looking forward to see what route you take with yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles