Ultimate Adventure Helmet

jkam

nomadic man
While maybe not considered an adventure helmet (depends on your idea of adventure), I prefer the flip up helmets, especially if any touring is involved.

When traveling the world, the convenience of having the flip up is really nice. If you wear glasses they are great, border and federale checkpoints, asking for directions or just communicating with a fellow rider. Having a smoke break, spitting and a variety of other reasons I like them.

I currently ride with the Schuberth Concept C2, which has a nice internal sunshade that is very handy.

No longer sold in the US but the internet makes it available.

http://www.schuberth.com/index.php?id=23&L=1

jkam

nomadic man
I've seen the debate on flip up's for years.

Every situation is different, I'm sure almost every helmet made has failed in some way during a crash.

For me, in over 10 years, about 40 countries toured and well over 250,000 miles using a flip up, I'm OK with it. I got run over in Argentina and my bike took a pretty good hit, helmet fine, just wasn't my time for a head **********.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
A few guys in my club have that helmet and arent all that happy with it.

Seems like the majority of the guys in the club are all running full face helmets now, even on the more dirt oriented rides.

As MuddyMud said, the "visor" on the dirt type helmet was a PITA when riding in the wind, so i basically only use my full face now, my dirt helmet is a spare.

:bike_rider:

glnn313

that style of helmet is nice and i know many folks who use them.like everyone is saying the fit is the most important thing not the brand.you just need to try on some to make sure the shell is right for your head shape.lots of people say that the aria is loud.i personally wear ear plugs on long street rides.if you want a cheap version to try then look into the simpson helmet.it is around $100. and then another $100 for then to install the face shield(done at factory).that is a cheap one to try if it fits.

VikingVince

Explorer
Of course I believe in spending bucks on protecting your noggin...but I think manufacturers take advantage of that with the $300-$600 prices!

Don't forget good 'ol Ebay...I got a brand new Shoei (last years model when I bought it) on Ebay for $85!!

VikingVince

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
As with any helmet, always try on first before buying to make sure the fit is right, then order or whatever...

Yeah...for sure...I went to a shop and tried on the current year version of my helmet in my size before ordering the one on Ebay.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
There's a great debate on AdvRider regarding flip up helmets.... I own one as my secondary, loaner helmet, but really prefer my Arai full face, and will really only ride with a full face.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347210

I've used my Arai with goggles in very dusty conditions...fit is great!

-H-

I had a flip-face helmet...a cheaper brand V-Can, that I believe was recently recalled. After only a handful of uses, it no longer locked in the down position. :yikes:

While much of this can be attributed to it being a cheaper helmet, and apparently a defective product, that soured me on the idea of a flip face.

I have a full face HJC, and some knock HJC, but it fits me great. I have an UBER-big "melon" and wear a 3X in the HJC. I have noticed many manufacturers, even high end ones, don't have helmets that large.

But basically, I just don't like the idea of the flip face aside from the seeming convenience. But that convenience is not worth using my face as a braking mechanism when the helmet fails.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I don't use my flip face very much...since I've found I'm tempted to ride with the face in the up position....feels kinda good, but it's just not safe.

It's hard to get an airway in a victim who doesn't have a lower jaw...

-H-

Wanderlusty

Explorer
goodtimes said:
*Any* helmet is better than no helmet.
Very true. I wish more people were convinced. I just saw someone riding down the road a second ago. No helmet. No SHIRT?! Wearing shorts and sandals and that was it. I realize that it is people's right to wear as much or as little protective gear as they like, but some folks, I just don't think that they have ever thought about what could happen....

As for HJC, I think that even safety spec wise they are a better helmet than most....but that isn't to say that I wouldn't love a nice Arai or Shoei one day. Biggest problem there is that at that price point...the $300-$500 area, I sure want to try it on before I plunk down that kinda change. And most shops are (reasonably) leery about keeping a 3x helmet in that price range on the floor. Aren't too many melons that big around.

Some shops will order one with a deposit, and then take it back if it does not fit, but I would really like to know if it fits BEFORE I start saving up for one, and ordering....and perhaps re-ordering different helmets just for a few minutes to verify fit, it just seems like a lot of trouble. Though....if in the end I didn't find a satisfactory fit, I am sure there would be OTHER farkles I could use the $$$ for....

The Arai D/S helmet looks great, but...stops at 2x....Looks like Shoei's new helmet (may) go to 3x?

Guess it is no big deal at the moment as I am sans ride.

However.... (hoping not to jinx myself here) that may be a situation that will be resolved VERY soon (fingers crossed) if a few things fall in to place.:peepwall:

Last edited:

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Fat_Man said:
However.... (hoping not to jinx myself here) that may be a situation that will be resolved VERY soon (fingers crossed) if a few things fall in to place.:peepwall:

I am thinking I jinx'd myself. :( When will I learn....:oops:

gearguywb

Explorer
Fit is the issue. I had a Shoei Hornet (XL)..nice helmet but did not fit very well at all. It seemed to "push" against the top front of my melon. Tried on an Arai XD (xl) and it was too tight. Tried an Arai XD (XXL) and the fit was excellent.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Fat_Man said:
I have a full face HJC, and some knock HJC, but it fits me great. I have an UBER-big "melon" and wear a 3X in the HJC. I have noticed many manufacturers, even high end ones, don't have helmets that large.

Ditto! I have a 2x HJC full face and it was the only helmet out of about a dozen i tried on that fit my odd shaped dome! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier