Ultimate Adventure Helmet

Scott Brady

Founder
There must be an "ultimate" adventure moto helmet out there.

This may, or may not be the one - but it looks close.

xd3_black_frost_f_290x290.jpg

Arai XD3

Any other thoughts?

dirtysouth

Adventurer
Maybe a Shoei...

expeditionswest said:
There must be an "ultimate" adventure moto helmet out there.

This may, or may not be the one - but it looks close.

xd3_black_frost_f_290x290.jpg

Arai XD3

Any other thoughts?

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/helmets_road.aspx?h=16

Scott, I had an Arai XD and it was a great helmet. It blocked the sun well and vented well. It didn't fit just right so I got rid of it and picked up the Shoei Hornet which fit my head like a glove. I have a Shoei Head (think round), versus the Arai head which is more long (think elongated toilet bowl) :p . I would definitely try one on if I could to see which head you have, you won't go wrong with either one.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
That is an awesome helmet! As Dirty mentioned, the Arais tend to run smaller than other helmets out there so you may want to check the sizing. I have a huge melon and the Arai wasn't quite right for me. You may also want to consider a Shoei Hornet DS. Its a nice looking helmet comparable to the Arai.

main.jpg

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The shape of your melon will determine the correct helmet for fit. Once you find the perfect fit you have issue of does it work with your moto. Wind buffeting will ruin the best fitting helmet on a long ride.

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Absolutely no question Scott - BMW Enduro helmet.

They are available in Canada this year, but not the USA. I had a chance to do the in-store walk around with both the Arai and the BMW Enduro. From my short time with them, I could see that the BMW shell and liner is a higher quality then the Arai, it weighs less and better peripheral vision.

The BMW has that funky visor too - looks seriously slick.

To get one you would have to either order one from Canada or the USA.

Pete

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have had the same issue with Aria helmets being the wrong shape for my noggin. My BMW helmet is the bomb.

Helmets are tough. You have to pick a brand that fits your baloon and stick with it.

I also agree that windy highway days and visors blow...pun intended.

Lastly, weight really matters. I hit a deer on my Ducati 748 while wearing a really heavy helmet and I firmly believe the weight of the helmet contributed to the whiplash I suffered as my noodle bounced off the tarmac.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Oh, and just to add. Just don't buy and HJC Scott. I simply hate mine. Terrible wind noise and the padding packed in way too far.

Pete

Juntura

Observer
Xd3

Scott,

I am in the same situation- I have cheap MX helmet for now but am looking for a quality DS helmet (I have been sticking to dirt roads and lower speeds for now). I have been trying to read reviews etc, but know it all comes down to proper fit. There have been quite a few threads about the Arai on ADVrider. It seems that guys have been having problems with buffeting- appears to be determined by type and style of fairing. Just an FYI but you may want to check what others have been saying who have your same bike- sick ride by the way.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have worn Shoei for 20 years. Last time sticker shock sent me on a quest to find a suitable replacement. I searched high and low. Tried many. A wise man at a local shop told me if I had been wearing Shoei, I would not be pleased with anything less. I bought another and it has been perfect.
You must try them.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have a shoei head...for day to day street use, I use a RF-1000, and am happy with it. Off road...eh, not so much. It is a bit heavy, and just doesn't flow enough air when you are moving slow(er).

I have a open face helmet from Fly that I wear in the dirt...not bad but I need a bit more room in the forehead area...so it isn't great for multi-day trips...plus it is noisy as all get out, and the visor sucks on the freeway.

As already mentioned, cheek pads are often available in different thicknesses, but the pads around the top of your head are not. I won't buy a helmet unless I can wear it around the shop for 20 minutes first....just like a good backpack...you gotta test it. And of course, if you wear a helmet liner (and why wouldn't you), take that along for the test....they change how the helmet fits enough to be of concern.

targa88

Explorer
I used Shoei for many years. Recently switched to Zamp Racing and I am very satisfied - excellent customer service.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I love my Arai XD. Fits like a glove, and it's easy to remove the padding for cleaning.

I haven't tried the Shoei on....

White helmets show up in traffic the best. Plus...white reflects heat.

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior