SOLD-Off road Teardrop Camper for Sale Price Reduced for 2020

SameGuy

Observer
For Sale

Little Guy 6 Wide Sport, modified for off road adventures. $6500 or reasonable offer
Located in NE Wyoming, could possibly deliver or meet within a reasonable distance.

Propex Heater
Timbren Axle-less 3500lb. trailing arm suspension
Hubs and wheels matched to Stock FJ Cruiser
(30" tires on 17 inch rims)
2 spare tires mounted on FJ cruiser wheels
Frame reinforced with welded boxed 2x3 steel tubing
10 inch Timbren never-adjust electric brakes
1 x 100 AH lead acid deep cycle batteries
Battery Minder 12 volt maintenance charger
with full time Desulfator
20+ inches of ground clearance
front deck 26" high when level
Fantastic Fan
30 amp shore power w/ 25 ft cable
12 volt interior lights, side porch lights, rear hatch light
total length 17'
exterior width tire to tire 8'
platform 6'x7' with numerous tie downs
interior 6'wide x 7'long x 43"tall at highest point
will come with original tri-fold foam mattress
and 2 6 ft aluminum ramps for loading
rear accessory hitch, 300lb. rating

There are probably more things to list which I will do as time passes or if there are any specific questions

We have loved our little teardrop but recently upgraded to an FWC Hawk truck camper. The asking price is less than I have into it but compared to other campers with this level of capability I think it's fair. It may not be as trick as a Moby or something from AT Overland but it doesn't cost $20-30k either. I would guess the total weight is around 1500lb. with 200lb. tongue weight. I'll add more soon but please ask any questions in the thread if you think others would like the info or PM me.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

SameGuy

Observer
interior 6'wide x 7'long x 43"tall at highest point

The original tri fold mattress that came with it takes up the entire floor area. California King sheets fit perfectly. Its big in there, bigger than our bed at home. We don't use the tri fold mattress as it's pretty stiff but it gets the job done. Generally we use some lux inflatable backpacking air mattresses with a thick slab of memory foam on top.

There are no leaks and no funky smells. We have been in some torrential downpours and stayed dry as a bone. In the winter I throw a big tarp over it to keep the snow off and more importantly, keep any freeze-thaw-freeze action from taking place.

The heater works fantastic. We had a cold snap previous winter when it was dipping down into the -20's. I donned my parka and fired up the Propex to see how it would do in such extreme conditions. It took about 20 minutes to warm the cabin to a comfortable 75 degrees and continued climbing. I don't think I'd really want to be out camping in that kind of cold but its nice to know it's capable if you got caught out in a blizzard in the mountains.

Last edited:

SameGuy

Observer
The connection for the propane tank comes out of the back hatch and the tank sits on the ground underneath the rear of the camper when in use. There is a big thick gasket in the rear hatch so you can just close the hatch on the hose for the tank with no worries about leaks. I set it up this way so I could have more flexibility on where I put the propane tank during transport. It would be a simple project to plumb it up to the front platform if you wanted to leave the tank in the same place on the front platform all the time.

The shot of the side of the camper in the second post shows the intake and exhaust for the propex heater. They are marine through hull connectors. Unfortunately one is chrome and the other bronze, as they didn't have both sized in chrome. I modified the chrome one to be the exhaust. There is a copper tube slightly smaller than the interior diameter of the through hull and floated it inside with high temp RTV. The through hull itself is also floated in the opening I cut in the camper in the same way. I wasn't sure how hot the exhaust would get and I didn't want to have to worry about heat damage to the structure of the camper. You can touch the chrome through hull connector when the heater is running without fear of burns. I may have over engineered it but better safe than sorry when you are cutting holes in the side of your camper.

There camper has a 7 way connector to the tow vehicle.

There are 3-12 volt cigarette lighter type connectors on the interior as well as 2-120 volt shore power and 2-120 volt inverter receptacles. The inverter is only 400 watts (The inverter has now been removed, it was a POS) and I think that is a stretch but the previous owner ran his laptop off it to watch movies and before it was removes I tried it out a few times. Sadly it wasn't powerful enough to run my Makita 18 volt battery charger so I took it out but can reinstall it if the new owner wants. If I had a need for an inverter I would upgrade to a better one rather than put the cheap one back in.

Last edited:
Jesus! What is the tongue weight on that thing loaded?? I bet that FJ is a terrifying drive under that load haha Thing looks banging though OP

SameGuy

Observer
I'm not sure what it is all loaded up with dirt bikes, 80 gallons of water and every square inch accounted for but, I would guess 600 to 800lb. fully loaded on our last trip to Moab. Both the FJ and Tundra don't balk at the tongue weight but air bags are your friend for sure. No one likes a squatty butt.

Last edited:

SameGuy

Observer
BUMP. Apologies to those who PM'd me, my notifications weren't configured correctly but are now. Sorry for the delay in returning your messages.

SameGuy

Observer
No Max coupler. I thought it would be mandatory but I was pleasantly surprised at the articulation you can get out of a regular hitch. We were planning on having one put in when we did the other work on the suspension and frame reinforcement but couldn't get on in time. We figured we would see how it handled without in the places we go and make a decision based on that. After a year of steep and undulating terrain we never ran into a situation that gave us any concern with the standard hitch. The shop here in town that did the suspension install and other welding said he could install a 2" receptacle on the camper for $150 so it's a pretty affordable option if someone is interested in going that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior