Ikamper Hard top one

Flyer69

Observer
I have had my James Baroud Evasion Evo RTT for a little over a year now, and I am very happy with it. I have slept through desert windstorms and torrential downpours and stayed cozy and dry. The aluminized fabric does not absorb water like canvas soft tents, so a quick shake before stowage is all it takes to get the water off. No mildew or mold issues. Ventilation is superb, almost 360º if you like, and afternoon naps with a cool breeze flowing through are sublime. All this good comes at a cost, and here are my main issues:

-Expensive... a little over $3,000

-Unsheltered entrance... The available JB awning and annex does not incorporate the tent entrance. In fact, it is on the opposite side of the vehicle. The annex is still very useful, but I would like to have some kind of sheltered entrance to the tent. I am experimenting with building one myself, however the JB tents come with a 5-year warranty, so I am very reluctant to drill or otherwise permanently attach any kind of fastening system to the upper shell just yet. Once the warranty is up, it's open season, but until then I am playing with alternate means of attachment.

-Size... The Evasion Evo is plenty big enough for my wife and I, however it is a bit cramped when we add my 8-year old daughter. I almost went with the JB Grand Raid, but it was just a bit too big for my rig as a daily driver. I am working on creating a sleeping space in the truck bed of my vehicle ('02 Tundra AC w/ A.R.E. Z-series canopy) for 2 kids using an air mattress or roll-up bed. This should work just fine as I use a tub system for all my gear. I like tubs because I can load/unload easily and it gives me the use of my truck bed for hauling other stuff when needed.

Looking at the new iKamper, it seems to address all the above issues, however... I was able to thoroughly check out the JB tents before buying one, so I knew the seams and construction were top-notch. I'd love to be able to gamble on the new iKamper at the kickstarter price, but I just can't bring myself to yet because of the lack of user feedback. I sent an email detailing my concerns to Mr. Park, the iKamper founder, and am awaiting a response. I will share it here if/when I get one.

In the meantime, if anyone has questions about the JB Evasion Evo, I'd be happy to answer them from my personal experience.

Good luck!
Paul

ttengineer

Adventurer
Does anyone know if the fly is removable? On a clear night it be nice to use the top opening for ventilation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harbinger808

Adventurer
Does anyone know if the fly is removable? On a clear night it be nice to use the top opening for ventilation.

I sent an email to iKamper about that and waiting to hear back. i'll post their answer when I get it. Also, I agree with ttengineer... I dont want to kick myself in the head if the skycamp is built to a high standard and I have to pay 1K when its available. I suppose I could just bite the bullet and try it out and just resell it for the kickstarter price?...

harbinger808

Adventurer
just got a reply and the rainfly is not detachable but they said they are working on a mesh fabric version to install during warmer months... strikes me as a weird design feature. one more day to decide is im going to gamble on this ;)

ttengineer

Adventurer
So it appears that regardless of tent fabric, the canopy and annex are all poly.

I have an email in to see what color the canvas is going to be.

harbinger808

Adventurer
So it appears that regardless of tent fabric, the canopy and annex are all poly.

I have an email in to see what color the canvas is going to be.

I asked the same question about the canvas color. My wife made a point also that "IF" we were to buy one, we could most likely make our own annex once we know what type of zipper they are using. She said she could sew a basic 5 sided annex with fabric from ripstopbytheroll. Could get some "beefier" fabric thru them and hopefully the zipper.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Ok. Thanks.

I think I'm going to get one with the annex. I can't decide on the canopy.

My worries are:
Mattress not thick enough
Poor ventilation with the fly not being removable
Water or snow collapsing the annex since there are no "snow poles"
Poor quality, although for the price they are charging I doubt this will be an issue.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Ok. Thanks.

I think I'm going to get one with the annex. I can't decide on the canopy.

My worries are:
Mattress not thick enough
Poor ventilation with the fly not being removable
Water or snow collapsing the annex since there are no "snow poles"
Poor quality, although for the price they are charging I doubt this will be an issue.

I'm thinking of getting the canvas version with annex also. Since it KS, I can always cancel my pledge if I change my mind down the line.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I emailed them about the canvas version and they say all photos and videos are of the canvas.

They also said the rain flay can be rolled up out of the way but not detached.

Jennybols

Does anyone know if the iKamper will mount on my existing EOM GMC luggage rack that came with my 2001 Yukon, or will I have to spring for a Yakima rack?

Thanks in advance!

ttengineer

Adventurer
Does anyone know if the iKamper will mount on my existing EOM GMC luggage rack that came with my 2001 Yukon, or will I have to spring for a Yakima rack?

Thanks in advance!

If you have cross bars ... it will mount. But I absolutely would NOT mount it to the factory rack. It is not designed to carry that much load.

ttengineer

Adventurer
1.15 million when last I checked.

I caved and sprung for the canvas with both the annex and canopy. Just over $3000. I'm hoping that with the success of the campaign they will offer us the canopy or annex for free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz