Pongo, The story of our 2016 Tacoma

soonenough

Explorer
The KC 20" Flex bar is very bright. The fill, and throw from the bar is impressive. I have both the signles that are mounted on the ditch light brackets, and the 20" bar
wired, so that they are armed by individual switches, but can be turned on/off with the high beam function of the factory lights. It allows you to kill the additional lights
quickly without having to take your hands off the wheel to hunt the switches. Then, you flick the high beams back on, and they illuminate immediately.
Do you have much glare off the hood with the lights mounted on the ditch light brackets? I've thought about mounting a pair of lights there but have been concerned about glare... I assumed it would be similar (although probably not as bad) as having lights mounted on the roof. The matte black vinyl on your hood probably helps though.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
That is a great picture with the river blur! As you know I am a traditionalist and liked the ARB round lights you had, but the light bar looks good and I am sure out performs the other lights! Did you take the solar panel off the hood? If not that thing blends in great!
Thanks sir! The solar panel is still mounted, just blends in really well.

Do you have much glare off the hood with the lights mounted on the ditch light brackets? I've thought about mounting a pair of lights there but have been concerned about glare... I assumed it would be similar (although probably not as bad) as having lights mounted on the roof. The matte black vinyl on your hood probably helps though.
I have them aimed outward, so they overlap the edges of the high beam light pattern. I've used them pointed more forward, and the glare was pretty minimal. I could see them being used more as a forward and less of a ditch light.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Pongo was changed up again this weekend. This time from the black TRD Pro wheels to....

32594595713_aa8d873ee4_z.jpg

http://www.varrstoen.com VTX Off Road wheels in their bronze Terra's.

I'm really loving the change. Wheels can do so much for a vehicle, and these definitely stepped up
the attitude of Pongo.

And a shot of one of out camp setups.
32594768423_90dbeb9a74_z.jpg

El Diablo

The softopper is very nice for being able to keep things out of sight. I currently have a deck/platform that runs from the front wall to the tailgate, and from side to side. Only cut out is so that you can
see the fridge temperature. I usually keep things I don't want walking away, safe and sound underneath the platform.

Any pics of the deck/platform you mentioned in this post? I was thinking of doing something similar with my inferno DCSB.
Great build by the way! I think the CBI front bumper is much better than the ARB also!

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Any pics of the deck/platform you mentioned in this post? I was thinking of doing something similar with my inferno DCSB.
Great build by the way! I think the CBI front bumper is much better than the ARB also!

I do not have any that I can readily find. If I do, I'll post some up. Thanks!

Why the wheel change? Dug the black, still haven't got on the bronze thing Toyota guys seem to favour.
A couple different reasons. Even though I like the black TRD PRO wheels, I wanted to swap up and go a different direction to set it apart. The are
even a couple of rigs on this board with inferno trucks and black TRD PRO wheels.The bronze is enough of a difference that to me, it sets it apart
from other similar rigs out there.

When we started working with VTX Off Road, their bronze terra's were the right direction to fit that need.

nocean

Adventurer
What did you do with the cuts you had to make from the ARB install? I have an opportunity to get a ARB bar for a photo shoot but long term I was looking at the CBI. Did you have to purchase stock parts again to fix the cuts?

Thanks, any insight would be helpful.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
What did you do with the cuts you had to make from the ARB install? I have an opportunity to get a ARB bar for a photo shoot but long term I was looking at the CBI. Did you have to purchase stock parts again to fix the cuts?

Thanks, any insight would be helpful.

I still have the parts I had to cut for the ARB bumper.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
-Pongo has undergone some additional changes recently. From Coopers STT Pros in 285/70r17, and ARB Simpson III tent
33060500223_0eefab4470_z.jpg

33030169654_b1b785264f_z.jpg

-To General Grabber X3s in 285/70r17s
33980240902_956033507f_z.jpg

-The General X3s have really nice road manners, and did very well at the Uwharrie OHV trail system(hard packed red clay, and rocks),
as well as in the Mountains of NE Tennessee(soft wet soil, and mud as it was raining). Both trips, I was by myself, so photo opportunity was
limited.

-We swapped to Free Spirt Recreation Extreme Series tent, and FSR awning.
33980109882_04238fe9ed_z.jpg

-Some of plusses on the FSR tent vs the ARB is the ladder(better than the ladder on my Tepui Kukenam also),
the diamond plating on the floor bottoms, and the FSR comes with an anti-condensation mat.
The material on the FSR is super nice! Just an FYI if you've got a itenerary you're trying to keep, better bring an alarm clock when
you camp, as this tent does a great job of knocking down the outside light. Perfect for those mornings you want to sleep in after a long
previous day of travel!

-The FSR awning is also very nice, and is 6" wider than the ARB 1250 It replaced. 6" is a pretty substantial difference, and will
provide a nicer footprint when we've got to sit or cook under it in the rain.

Last edited:

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Hello,
I was more wondering, were there cuts you had to make for the ARB that had to be fixed or replaced to install the CBI?

thanks

The cuts required for the CBI bumper were different than the cuts required for the ARB bumper. For me to install the CBI without having abnormal gaps, I had to
acquire new uncut components, then cut them to match the CBI parts.

nocean

Adventurer
The cuts required for the CBI bumper were different than the cuts required for the ARB bumper. For me to install the CBI without having abnormal gaps, I had to
acquire new uncut components, then cut them to match the CBI parts.

Awesome, super helpful. Thanks!

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Earlier I realized I took delivery of Pongo 1 year ago today.

27747104451_4abdc6997f_z.jpg

The miles have flown by, but the memories it's racking up is the better metric of it's value.

34132041711_60e988cc85_z.jpg

It's gone through many changes so far, and it continues to be one of the favorite vehicles
I've owned.

33566227216_72df37a25e_z.jpg

These trucks are very capable right out of the box, so don't think your if doesn't have a ton of gear hanging off it,
that it can't be enjoyed in it's current state. Take a friend or two, or load up with your family, and hit a trail this
weekend.

30265636220_6e67d61b07_z.jpg

Pongo was on the trails his first weekend, and it's where he'll be this one too.

27856284105_f38befa343_z.jpg

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Last weekend the Team and I headed to Southwest Virginia for a laidback weekend of camping, planning for our next major trip, and off-roading.

33655992583_f58a6069a7_z.jpg

33656222033_28495b553c_z.jpg

33655988753_1e4be7e36a_z.jpg

34081196340_0559ab3e86_z.jpg

Pongo has gotten a little love lately in the form of a North Star group 27 AGM battery, and a SnoMaster USA 75 Liter single compartment
fridge(swap from ARB 63qt).

I'll get some pics of it once I sort our my cargo situation again.

I'll be pulling the trigger on 4.88 gears in the next few days, and am super excited to drive the truck after they're installed.

We're about 2 months out from our next big trip, and have lots of stuff to get completed between not and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior