Pongo, The story of our 2016 Tacoma

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
In the later part of 2015, while doing some camping and wheeling with a good friend, a plan for a trip was born.
With the trip, came the necessity of more room than my 2007 FJ Cruiser(named Scully) had to offer. It did great for local runs, and weekend trips,
but my 63qt fridge ate up almost all the rear cargo room. Then also with the roof top tent, we were limited on roof space for storage
23714370400_4c87df4e47_h.jpg

There was also the option of my 1st gen 4runner(Smurf), but I've sorta retired it from the LONG trips, as it having 350k miles, and
being 30+ years young makes it quite a journey just to drive 6k miles to and from the West, let alone the 2 weeks of off roading we do
while there. I've also recently yanked the 22RE from it, and have acquired a 5VZ, and automatic trans to be swapped in it. So that would add
a heavy amount to get done, and tested before heading out on the kind of trip we're talking.
14772986968_517f3b26e6_k.jpg

Next I started considering off road trailers, both building and purchasing. I may still eventually do one, but currently, that's not the route I want to go.

This brought me back to vehicle choice. The Tundra is an awesome platform, but just too massive for East Coast trails. Our family already has a 5th
gen 4runner Trail, so can't justify another one of those. So, it left me with one choice that I believe for us is the perfect fit. I place an order for a
2016 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road in Inferno, and an automatic trans back in April.

It left the factory on 4/25/16, and I took ownership on 5/2/16.
27747104451_fda184038f_k.jpg

My wife has always named her vehicles, so I have started naming mine as well. I wanted a name that would work with the orange, but discarded
the usual orange-ish names having to do with carrots, pumpkins etc. For some reason (i'm weird) I always think of orangutans when I think of orange.
So, I decided to go with a name related to that thought. Pongo is a scientific name for orangutan. I was like wow, that fits it well. A big orange monkey
that's inquisitive, and enjoys being in the woods.

I drove it from work(the dealership) to home, then back to work 1 time before the factory suspension was removed for Old Man Emu,
coils/leaves and OME struts/shocks, TRD Pro 4Runner wheels, and Cooper STT Pro Tires in 285/70r17 (x5) were installed.
27210862384_6c3f645bee_k.jpg

I work for a Toyota Dealer in about the middle of NC, and had a work related school in Orlando, so since we're also an ARB dealer, I figured
I'd stop by and catch up with some of the fine folks at their Jacksonville FL distribution center on my way south. Of course I had to take a photo with their
very tricked out 2016 Tacoma.
27855531875_30d79d1479_k.jpg

I had struggled over what I wanted to enclose the bed. I considered a fiberglass top, and decided to go with a Softopper, and an All Pro Off Road
Pack Rack to go over it. The rack will be needed to hold the ARB Simpson III tent I'll be installing later. The Softopper came in quickly, and installed
easily. I've been very pleased with the purchase thus far.
27243419664_a253dd7eec_k.jpg

We have only been able to take it wheeling in the mountains on NC a couple times, but as expected it has performed very well.
27856284105_0e01eaa4d1_h.jpg

27780280981_d3c10e8247_h.jpg

I'll be adding more posts over the next few days, getting it caught up to it's current status, but as a teaser:

27210858384_75988228fc_h.jpg

Benc

Explorer
Nice truck!
I'm in the middle of building the same truck myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmattmatthew

Looks fantastic. I have an 89 4runner and my DD is getting a little long in the tooth so I'm considering a new Tacoma to replace both as a DD and an overland vehicle. I like that you swapped out the grille, one of my gripes with some of the trim packages on the Tacoma is the Chrome. The only trucks that should have chrome on them are full size domestics, it just looks out of place on the Taco.

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
It looks sooo much better with the grill painted black. Excited to see it with the bed rack over the soft topper.

I'm leaning towards buying one of these in the quicksand color more and more, but the thought of having a car payment again kills it every time.

haven

Expedition Leader
Pongo is a Great Ape, indeed!

Thanks for sharing your decision-making process. One truck too old, one too small, one the daily driver, and the Tacoma just right for longer overland adventures.

I wish Toyota would shrink the Tacoma's bulging codpiece of a hood to a size more like the HiLux.

mouse007

Explorer
LOOKS KILLER...!!!! Didn't know the ARB Bull Bar was already released for the 3rd Gen's. I keep missing the ARB Tacoma here in Florida, it's always at an event i'm not at..!!

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
I let this thread go to the back burner while we prepped for out trip. We got everything installed. The ARB Summit bar, Warn Zeon 10k, Southeast overland synthetic line and hawse
fairlead, RCI sliders, and skids, ARB Intensity LED lights, All-Pro Off Road Pack Rack, ARB Simpson III tent, Kenwood TM-D710G uhf/vhf radio, ram mount for iPhone 6sPlus, ARB 63qt
fridge and slider, and our home-brew bed platform.

We departed for Idaho, and literally less than 12 hours before we stepped off, we decided to detour through Colorado.
29789069926_07503b300f_c.jpg

We enjoyed a relaxed day in the town of Ouray, before hitting the trails the next morning. One of our favorites from the area is
Imogene Pass where an incredibly picturesque climb tops you out at 13k+ feet in elevation before you descend in an out of this
world landscape into the town of Telluride.
29197037934_2fddb765e6_c.jpg

29789067216_ce743a8f9c_c.jpg

29741774841_fed1193b28_c.jpg

29197035824_37d000896d_c.jpg

We decided it was time to continue our travels north and further west. We said goodbye to the San Juan mountains we all enjoy so much, and
departed to see the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho.

Here is a trailer for our later to be released video.

[video]https://youtu.be/1lSQQ1mg_ow[/video]

unsung

I just left the Sawtooths, and I'm ready to go back. Looking forward to the video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior