View Poll Results: Which would you recommend for full time living?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Toyota Chinook

3 42.86%
  • Toyota Sunrader

4 57.14%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you recommend a Toyota Chinook or Toyota Sunrader?

Just sent you a PM in response to yours.

Mirage? With super special "rear floating axle"

Not too far from you.........

http://allentown.craigslist.org/rvs/5637798747.html
    -Patrick

When you're home, you dream of adventure. When you're on adventure, you dream of home... ... ...

Lexus GX460 ("Land Cruiser Lite" URJ150)

My Adventures @Instagram: Advtr_On

image.jpgPut the Chinook body on a second gen 4x4 and do the Merc diesel swap on it .best thing I've ever done to make an all purpose truck image.jpg

Default Would you recommend a Toyota Chinook or Toyota Sunrader?

I don't know how set you are on a Toyota based camper or your budget but Cruise America sells off their RV's on the ford chassis.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvd/5619280786.html

That one is pretty expensive but have seen them sell them for around $21k. Always do a Ujoint 4x4 conversion. If I didn't have so many kids I would have gone that route versus a standard E350 conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by silvrzuki77; 06-26-2016 at 03:59 PM.

As a Chinook owner, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

As a full-time rig, a sunrader would be the way to go. I absolutely love my Chinook, but having a bathroom and not having to pop the top just to stand up in the rear would be clutch for livibility. A sunrader isn't that much longer, and it's likely either one you choose will have to be converted to 4x4. Sunraders have more head room too, which for me would be a plus. My Chinook is perfect for my goals, a weekend/2week getaway machine. That said, a Chinook is cheaper, I've seen some as cheap as 2k, whereas a sunrader will run $5k plus. Of course, condition has everything to do with price.

I have installed three 60w panels on the roof of my Chinook and it has absolutely maxed the spring lift capability. In fact, one side sags a bit so I use a small length of wood to prop it up. I've seen others use an air lift support (think hood or rear hatch prop) to assist the spring. I plan to do the same to my rig.

Whata your budget and intended use? I have a Chinook mounted to an 80 series landcruiser/ Lexus lx450. The original Chinook is a lt. Wt. Construction including the floor. IMHO if you do a lot of washboard or non asphalt travel it's not goint to hold up in the long run without a solid floor or bracing. The roof springs have a lot to be desired but it would be easy to modify to use struts. I would beef up the roof center area as well as the metal channel. This will allow you to carry more weight on the roof.

Hello TurboTommy,

What is "Merc diesel"motor you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by turbotommy View Post
    image.jpgPut the Chinook body on a second gen 4x4 and do the Merc diesel swap on it .best thing I've ever done to make an all purpose truck image.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12