Help me find the right ride.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
This thread is well ahead of the actual purchase event, but I want to make sure that I have a good idea of what I want so that I can keep my eye out for on craigslist and other forums.

So, here is my situation:

Fiance and I want a vehicle that let's us continue exploring both on and off-road camping adventures while dealing with rising fuel costs. We don't mind packing light as we enjoy backpacking. Right now can't afford to get two bikes so we need one that will accommodate the two of us. Would prefer to keep the budget around $3k, but would be willing to look at higher prices. Used is fine by us. What would you recommend?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Used Suzuki V-Strom 650. Simple, reliable, able to do some 2 up on the highway...and within the budget realm you're looking at.

...or maybe an older BMW R100GS...but expect to put some more $ into it to bring it up to spec.

-H-

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
MuddyMudskipper said:
:iagree: A great tarmac 2 upper.

This has been one of the motorcycles that has caught my attention most. It seems like I should be able to find a used one in good condition for a quality price. With 2 of us up there camping trips might include a very small lightweight trailer for longer treks. Debating whether the 650 is enough or if I would need to go 1000. We have a combined weight of about 270 lbs + gear + gas. Do you guys no the performance differences between these engines?

Has anyone taking a look at the Kawasaki Versys? I doubt I will be able to find one of these used by the time I will be buying, but I found it appealing.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Seth Kendall said:
This has been one of the motorcycles that has caught my attention most. It seems like I should be able to find a used one in good condition for a quality price. With 2 of us up there camping trips might include a very small lightweight trailer for longer treks. Debating whether the 650 is enough or if I would need to go 1000. We have a combined weight of about 270 lbs + gear + gas. Do you guys no the performance differences between these engines?

I guess it depends on what you plan on doing. The question should have been asked as to what kind of bike travelling you plan on doing. Perhaps the assumption was made, since 2 up riding seems to be at the crux of your decision, that most of your travels will be made on asphalt. If so, the V-Strom is one of the better if not the best overall Adventure Tourers available.

The 650 makes 67HP @ 8800 RPM and the 1000 makes 98HP @ 7500 RPM. Do you plan on putting the bike on a trailer or are you going to pull a trailer with the bike?

Seth Kendall said:
Has anyone taking a look at the Kawasaki Versys? I doubt I will be able to find one of these used by the time I will be buying, but I found it appealing.

The Versys is a nice bike but I don't think the pillion seat will be as comfy for your passenger as the Suzuki. I suggest you check the bikes out in person to see what ergos are going to be the most suiting for both you and your fiance. The way I look at it is the happier she is on back, to more you get to go out. ;)

Versys%20green.jpg

2003_V-Strom_yellow_600.jpg

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Well this is a timely thread for me as well. I was just looking into both of these rides vs. the more dual-sportish KLR or DR bikes. My question is whether anyone knows these bikes well enough to comment regarding their off road abilities. I'm thinking very light duty such as fire/forest service roads with maybe the slightest jaunt over to a promising campsite. I like the idea of EFI too so no worries when a trip takes you from 1400 to 9000 ft. I'm also quite a ways away from a purchase but I'd be looking at 2 bikes so no 2 up issues for us.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
MuddyMudskipper said:
I guess it depends on what you plan on doing. The question should have been asked as to what kind of bike travelling you plan on doing. Perhaps the assumption was made, since 2 up riding seems to be at the crux of your decision, that most of your travels will be made on asphalt. If so, the V-Strom is one of the better if not the best overall Adventure Tourers available.

The 650 makes 67HP @ 8800 RPM and the 1000 makes 98HP @ 7500 RPM. Do you plan on putting the bike on a trailer or are you going to pull a trailer with the bike?

The Versys is a nice bike but I don't think the pillion seat will be as comfy for your passenger as the Suzuki. I suggest you check the bikes out in person to see what ergos are going to be the most suiting for both you and your fiance. The way I look at it is the happier she is on back, to more you get to go out. ;)

The type of traveling that we will be doing most will be highways throughout the West Coast with fire roads being probably the most extreme off-road for us.

I was thinking that we might try to pull a very small trailer behind the bike. That was one of the considerations for the 1000. However, if we can comfortably pack our gear in panniers and trunks that would be my preference. I agree that the V-Strom looks to be more comfortable than the Versys for the passenger, and this passenger's happiness definitely dictates how often I get to take us out camping:D

ThomD

Explorer
Vstrom +1. It is common to see people who have the 1000 say, "I should have bought the Wee Strom." There just isn't that much extra power there against the weight. 650 moves 2 people just fine. Step on the scale and find out how much you two (and all your gear) weigh. Motorbike load limits are kind of small.

As a new rider, I found the Vstrom too tall for my 30" inseam, but consensus is that it is the best bike for 80% road, 20% unpaved road.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
What you're wanting to do is extremely common in many countries such as France, Italy, Germany, etc. This is where most of these bikes like the Transalp, Varadero, Vstrom, and GS bikes were born. Two up touring on nimble bikes is a lot of fun. Some of the sportish or sport touring bikes have the passenger sitting upright like Mary Poppins while the driver his hunched over the tank. These dual sport type bikes are ideal for comfortable (visible) two up riding since both you and your passenger share a similar ride stance.

I had a Honda Africa Twin 750 in France that would ride two up with no problems at all. You might be able to find the Africa Twin's little brother, the Honda Transalp here for under $3000. Great bikes.

A BMW F650 does really well two up and the bag options would be really helpful.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'd make sure you try and ride any 650 you plan on doing 2 up on. My thoughts would be towards the BMW F650, V-Strom, and Transalp. All of which are more street than dirt oriented, but will do just fine on gravel and FS roads.

If you plan on doing a lot of travelling 2 up, I'd look towards a used R100, R1100/1150GS. The BMWs may be a bit more in budget, but will be much more able to carry the additional weight of luggage and pillion passenger over long distances at highway speeds than the 650s.

-H-

glnn313

rethink the klr

if you are going to ever go off road and camp you will need to carry your gear.the wee strom would require bags the klr has a rack.you can also get the ims big tank and fit a pair of atv fender bags to it for more storage.this way you can still ride 2 up.with some mods you can really take the klr to some crazy places.if you ever take it out alone you will be surprised on what a experienced rider can do on it.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
glnn313 said:
if you are going to ever go off road and camp you will need to carry your gear.the wee strom would require bags the klr has a rack.you can also get the ims big tank and fit a pair of atv fender bags to it for more storage.this way you can still ride 2 up.with some mods you can really take the klr to some crazy places.if you ever take it out alone you will be surprised on what a experienced rider can do on it.

You can get bags and racks for just about any bike out there.

A good rider can take a racked out POS with no suspension places that a noob can't take the best bike in the world.

That is not to say the KLR isn't a decent bike...it is. But you can outfit basically any bike out there to carry camping gear.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
gillti said:
subcribe. I'm interested in where this is going. . .You gonna sell the sami now?

Not a chance! Suzi is a part of the family now. This will be in addition to Suzi and the RAV4. We will have a burly wheeling vehicle, a comfy driver, and the longer adventure/camper moto. Plus, I can use the motorcycle to get to and from work if I'm running too late to ride my road bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles