Delorme Inreach Explorer

Kerensky97

Xterra101
You didn't mention an important point IMHO, which is the batteries are not replaceable and must be periodically charged. They claim a 100 hour life on a charge. If you're in a vehicle or only doing trips of a couple of day this is not nearly as much of a limitation as it might be with several day backpack or bike trips.
Not having the GPS maps in mine I don't leave it on all the time. It's just something I power up and send a message as needed. So I charged it at the beginning of the year and haven't charged it since and the battery is still at 76%. I have powered it up a few times to play with and send messages as a simple test which is where I think most of the power went.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
How much tracking time is that? Just curious since I specifically went with SPOT because of the battery life and replaceability. I've found about 4 weeks worth of 10-minute beacons with about a dozen check-ins before they are dead. I doubt I'd jump to an InReach at this point (very happy with my SPOT and the cost was easier to tolerate) but it would be interesting.

altaboy

Observer
My $.02:

1) Demo'd this on a Mojave rd run last xmas. Was glad I did A) wife broke ankle 1st evening leading to change of plans next day (bail out route via power line)...able to txt alert my family on east coast to plan change, 2) on power line exit, got a txt that my mother on east coast had a medical emergency. Great 2 way com....note that incoming txt can be delayed (or I didn't notice it earlier).

Also, family was able to monitor our positions on slick internet based private map in near real time!

2) Did a DV run this spring w/o the unit. Wish I had it as got into a situation of (suspected) wrong turn heading from Salinas rd up to Cerro Gordo mine (nav unit failure). Had to turn around and hi-tail it out due to nervousness of breaking down w/o anyone knowing where we were (wife factor increased nervous response & NO ONE was out that way). If I had the unit, might have made it......

Last point almost resulted in divorce as I had to pull a "Master and Commander" manuever on the retreat decision.....

Bottom line, just the FEELING of having back up lowers stress level tremendously (again, especially with wife in tow).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (will be buying one before xmas):sombrero:

Dalko43

Explorer
You didn't mention an important point IMHO, which is the batteries are not replaceable and must be periodically charged. They claim a 100 hour life on a charge. If you're in a vehicle or only doing trips of a couple of day this is not nearly as much of a limitation as it might be with several day backpack or bike trips.

So even though Delorme has many desirable features over SPOT the question of replaceable batteries and power consumption still are important considerations when your use involves more than a couple of days away from support. The batteries in my SPOT have lasted a month doing 10 minute tracking all day with a daily check-in. So a second set of batteries is all you need to carry to be sure you're OK, assuming you plan on being in a town within the next few weeks.

It's not an insurmountable problem, carrying a power source, solar panel or something. But I think the pro/con comparison needs to mention this.

I also didn't see that the GPS and navigation really was robust enough to eliminate the need for a proper GPS device, so the size and weight are something of a negative when you consider a PLB or SPOT are smaller and lighter.

You're right in bringing up 2 issues:
1) The Inreach's batteries aren't replaceable, so you need to rely on a charging cable and some sort of power source...as you said, not a big deal for vehicle based exploration, but can become an issue for extended foot travel away from any sort of power infrastructure. I have heard of mobile device charging units that rely on solar power or heat from a fire...so perhaps there are some workarounds for this issue, though they are likely bulky.
2) 100 hr battery life does limit your abilities, if you are using the Delorme Inreach constantly.

My take on the Inreach Explorer, and any GPS or beacon device, for camping/backpacking is that it should only be used as a backup or secondary navigation tool, not as the primary and only one. I always have a map and compass on me when I go on hikes and camping trips. I check my headings, use terrain association, and estimate my distance traveled through time passed and other pace count methods (when you spend a lot of time in the woods, some of that stuff comes naturally). While camping or hiking, my Delorme Inreach is always off unless I need to do a quick GPS check to confirm my position, or I need to mark a waypoint or send a message out. Using the Inreach in that manner, I've found that the Inreach's battery can last at least several weeks. YMMV depending on the weather, terrain, tree canopy, satellite link up times, ect. So I've found that Inreach has not limited my backcountry camping at all. In fact, it has encouraged me to push into more wild, less traveled terrain because I have a good safety net if things go wrong. And quite honestly, except for the SPOT device, which, while long lasting, has limited functionality, most handheld GPS devices offer similar battery life to what the Inreach offers.

How much tracking time is that? Just curious since I specifically went with SPOT because of the battery life and replaceability. I've found about 4 weeks worth of 10-minute beacons with about a dozen check-ins before they are dead. I doubt I'd jump to an InReach at this point (very happy with my SPOT and the cost was easier to tolerate) but it would be interesting.

Apples to oranges. The SPOT is a great device, but you're not getting the same degree of versatility when it comes to mapping, messaging or waypoint/routing functions that the Inreach and others offer. I don't see either as better, they just offer slightly different functions and each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

jrfromafar

Adventurer
Any updates on the Inreach Explorer

Can't seem to find any updated info. I bought my IE 2 years ago, and just recently subscribed to the annual plan ($29.99 a month) so it's active whenever I need it. #1 reason is to keep in touch with home while off grid. Very frustrating since paying for months that I don't use it, that I cannot get the dam* thing to work sometimes when I need it. Hoping to connect with others for help to get max useage out of this unit !!

Heading off in a few days for another off-grid adventure :)

You can get a Freedom plan that I think is $25 a year, then activate it on a monthly basis for what ever level you would like. You can suspend the activation for months you won't be using it. It seems to be on a calendar month system, so you may be screwed if you want to activate it at he end of the month, would have to pay for the whole month for a couple of days usage. They allow 5 "Tests" a month I believe to make sure it's working

jrfromafar

Adventurer
My problem is, much of what I do is impulse. I am 'planning challanged' :) I tried the freedom plan & when it's all said & done I decided I can live with $300 a year to have the ability to text home, plus emergency beacon, etc. I just need it to work when I'm out off the grid - don't want to spend hours trying to get a signal. Would be nice though if the texts not used during one month could roll over.

carbon60

Explorer
I just need it to work when I'm out off the grid - don't want to spend hours trying to get a signal. Would be nice though if the texts not used during one month could roll over.

I don't think I've ever not had a signal, and I even have it inside the truck, on the dash. Do others have this issue?

jrfromafar

Adventurer
No, am referring to the Inreach Explorer. I am glad though to hear positive reviews. Very possibly I am a bit technically challenged with the unit. Just now figuring out the maps, tracking & all of that.

Kevin108

Explorer
I picked mine up as the Delorme models were being discontinued by REI and were steeply discounted - thanks to a tip from a member here. My schedule doesn't always mesh with that of my wife or other cohorts, and sometimes I want to spend a few days in the mountains anyway. Cell reception is 30 mins in either direction from my spot, so I wanted an inReach in case of the event of problems out there by myself or so I could assist in getting help for someone else out there. I've never come across anybody else, much less someone in trouble, but it's comforting to have clipped to your belt just in case.

inreach.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles