Colorado Expedition Trailer Build

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
Anymore details on the HDPE? Might be a good alternative to Aluminum for the skin. How thick did you go, and do you think its thick enough?

Martyinco

Adventurer
Anymore details on the HDPE? Might be a good alternative to Aluminum for the skin. How thick did you go, and do you think its thick enough?

I went with 1/4" Marine Grade, so it is UV safe and wont fade. As far as the sides go I think it is more than thick enough, doesn't have much give to it. Eventually I plan on doing the floor, but I will use either 1/2" or 3/4" because I do plan on having the ability to carry a 4 wheeler in the back.

The main reason I did HDPE was weight savings, it is more than a 1/3 the weight of steel, granted a little thicker, but that had no bearing on me design.

rustED

Adventurer
Does it come in standard size sheets, like 4x8'? If you dont mind me asking what was the price on the HDPE? Also are you using some kind of seam sealer on the corner joints? Thanks!

Martyinco

Adventurer
Does it come in standard size sheets, like 4x8'? If you dont mind me asking what was the price on the HDPE? Also are you using some kind of seam sealer on the corner joints? Thanks!

48x96 and 54x96 which is what I bough, $103 for the sheet I bought, its pricier than other options but worth it in my opinion. This winter when I have time I will disassemble the trailer and seam seal all the joints, just a standard silicon caulking as per commendation of the manufacture.

rustED

Adventurer
48x96 and 54x96 which is what I bough, $103 for the sheet I bought, its pricier than other options but worth it in my opinion. This winter when I have time I will disassemble the trailer and seam seal all the joints, just a standard silicon caulking as per commendation of the manufacture.

That's not bad, it's comparable to sheetmetal. I think I paid $85 for 48x96" of 14 gauge and $117 for 60x120" of 16 gauge. Did you buy it locally or from a company online? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm seriously considering going this route on the "next build", it would be worth it not having to worry about painting it or worrying about rust!

rodrage

Adventurer
I like the grey too. Not much on paint for these, they just too mush brush damage. Looking to side mine with epoxy color coated roofing sheet (20-22ga) and laminating some 1/4" inner ply for noise and dents. If I don't find a color I can live with, I'll wrap it with vinyl. That way I can always peel it off throw it way.

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
What about expansion and contraction? I was going to use UHMU, but I know it has some pretty bad expansion/ contraction issues so I opted for wood on my trailer floor. I haven't looked into HDPE yet.

Martyinco

Adventurer
That's not bad, it's comparable to sheetmetal. I think I paid $85 for 48x96" of 14 gauge and $117 for 60x120" of 16 gauge. Did you buy it locally or from a company online? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm seriously considering going this route on the "next build", it would be worth it not having to worry about painting it or worrying about rust!

I bought it locally, from a nationwide company that just happens to have a local hub. https://www.curbellplastics.com/Discover-Curbell/Locations-Nationwide There are plenty of places that sell it online, but the shipping cost becomes a factor, especially when you are only buying one sheet vs a company buying a entire pallets worth. And it does come in several colors, http://www.kingplastic.com/products/

What about expansion and contraction? I was going to use UHMU, but I know it has some pretty bad expansion/ contraction issues so I opted for wood on my trailer floor. I haven't looked into HDPE yet.

Direct from King Plastics FAQ "Yes, at a rate of 6×10-5 in./degree F, changing approximately 1/32 inch for every foot of length or width over a 40° temperature change."

Minimal in my opinion, at least for my application.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Awesome build! I'm curious, could you post some photos of your linear actuators? I'd love to see how you mounted them, also what is your range on them?

Martyinco

Adventurer
Awesome build! I'm curious, could you post some photos of your linear actuators? I'd love to see how you mounted them, also what is your range on them?

I will... as soon as I buy them :Wow1: They will be part of phase 2 for the trailer over this winter. I can tell you though that I am doing 20" stroke from Windy Nation I will be using the mounting brackets that they sell as well.

rustED

Adventurer
Thanks for posting up the info on the HDPE and the color samples. Now you got me curious on those linear actuators, I haven't seen anyone use those on their builds before, looks like a really cool upgrade over the regular gas struts!

Martyinco

Adventurer
Wish I could take credit for the linear actuator idea, I borrowed it from another build I found on here :victory: I just like the press of a button idea to make it go up and come back down.

WyoOtto

You're making great progress with your build! When you get a chance, would you mind posting up your inside and outside tube dimensions for your telescoping rack? Thanks and nice work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles