Colorado Expedition Trailer Build

Martyinco

Adventurer
As a lot of people on the site I've been camping pretty much my entire life, almost all of it via a ground tent or hammock. This year for fathers day my wife surprised me with a Odin Designs RTT which will be here in the middle of July. Originally the plan was to just make a simple bed rack and put the tent on that, but since I have a little time before the RTT will actually be here, the wife gave a go ahead on expedition trailer.

Design is pretty basic, 50" wide by 72" long box and 24" walls, as my truck grows the trailer will also have a matching wheel/tire combo, and Flexride torsion axles. With the inspiration of so many members on the site ljrunner05 in particular, I will also be doing a telescoping tent rack in hopes of aiding in travel and keeping the weight low. For now I just want to get the basic build done and get it registered and plated. Eventually adding a water and solar set up as my needs grow. Hopefully this will serve the family on our trips and my trips to Moab.

Basic design, obviously nothing fancy, a box with wheels :)
Trailer Sketchup.jpg

Main framework will be 2x3 11ga (.120) wall tubing, with a full trailer length piece of receiver tubing, should give me an option to use a bike rack off the back of the trailer or whatever else I may want to hook up.
Metal.jpg

So in the coming weeks I will do my best to document the build for everyone :) :sombrero:

rustED

Adventurer
Looks like a good proven design. Are you going to build the main box separately, or integrated into the trailer frame?

Martyinco

Adventurer
Are you going to build the main box separately, or integrated into the trailer frame?

Will all be one, I really cant see a reason why I would want to take off the box from the trailer, I considered it but in the end ruled against it.

rustED

Adventurer
Will all be one, I really cant see a reason why I would want to take off the box from the trailer, I considered it but in the end ruled against it.

I hear ya. I'm trying to finish up mine, it is pretty close to the dimensions you listed, but I built my box separate from the frame. I'm thinking if I had to do it over again I'd probably go your route, save some weight, and money into materials!

Look forward to seeing some pics after you get started!

Martyinco

Adventurer
Update 1:

Got most of the frame cut, ran out of steel because I did a last minute change, and of course the the steel place is closed because of the holiday weekend. Will have to go on Tuesday to buy more supplies, need some metal for me uprights anyways so it wont be a trip for one piece of 2x3.

And on to the photos!

My $100 craigslist saw, and $10 Amazon blade are giving me exceptional cuts, name brand not required, just some adjustment and oiling.
saw.jpg

Pre-cut pieces and than once they were notched for the receiver tube and slid into place.
t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t4.jpg

Half way or so welded up. You can see at the back the missing piece that I was short because I decided to do the piece in front for a tongue box.
t5.jpg

And unknown to me at the time, the wife got an action shot of me welding, this was before I picked it up and threw it on my spare tool box so I could spin it around.
t6.jpg

Going to spend the day tomorrow finishing up the welding I can do, and start laying out and cutting the rack for the RTT.

But for now, I'm going to kick back and enjoy my Saturday night :friday:

K2ZJ

Explorer
Got most of the frame cut, ran out of steel because I did a last minute change, and of course the the steel place is closed because of the holiday weekend. Will have to go on Tuesday to buy more supplies, need some metal for me uprights anyways so it wont be a trip for one piece of 2x3.

K&K? I am heading over there next week, I hope to grab material for my RTT rack. Yours is coming along nice!

b63215b

Adventurer
Nice work so far, I too on my first build made the box separate from the frame and was able to pull 4 bolts and pull it off then after camping said, "why would I ever pull it off?" So I just decided to weld it. I thought I sealed it even when I could pull it off I'd have to cut the seal to even pull it off. Just my two cents. Good luck on the build.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rustED

Adventurer
Nice work one the frame and full length receiver tube, I think i would do that on my "next build," keep up the good work!

PS: Have you decided on what you're going to use to skin the body and fenders with yet?

Last edited:

Martyinco

Adventurer
No real update today, at least not one that warrants pictures, just got the entire frame welded up until I get my missing rear link. Axles are on a truck from SD Truck Springs, those will be here Wednesday. I did get the RTT rack drawn up how I "think" I want it, will go metal shopping Tuesday after work.

K&K? I am heading over there next week, I hope to grab material for my RTT rack. Yours is coming along nice!

Yep K&K, great group of guys over there, great prices, and only 4.5% or 4.75% tax which I LOVE to see! Its coming along for sure :)

Nice work so far, I too on my first build made the box separate from the frame and was able to pull 4 bolts and pull it off then after camping said, "why would I ever pull it off?" So I just decided to weld it. I thought I sealed it even when I could pull it off I'd have to cut the seal to even pull it off. Just my two cents. Good luck on the build.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I tossed the idea around in my head for well over a month if I wanted a removable box, and just couldn't see myself needing it as only a flatbed trailer. I'm gonna need all the luck I can get LOL

Nice work one the frame and full length receiver tube, I think i would do that on my "next build," keep up the good work!

PS: Have you decided on what you're going to use to skin the body and fenders with yet?

Full length receiver tube was a must for me, piece of mind I suppose. I dunno, I'm sure it is not necessary, but I just like the idea of it being there. Skinning the sides is still in limbo, one day I want to just use a 16GA metal and call it a day, and others I want to go with the HDPE, the plastic would be a little more expensive, but maintaining it, well there would be no maintenance. I dunno, I've still got a little time to get it sorted out :)

:rockon: Cheers everyone, and have a happy and safe 4th of July :)

Martyinco

Adventurer
Quick update for everyone.

My axles arrived (yay) but the box was damaged and parts were missing (boo) Luckily I called the great people at SD Truck Springs and they are sending out the missing pieces (lug nuts and the mounting plates) Hope to have those pieces in the next few days. I also received my adapters to run 6 lug Toyota wheels on the 5x4.5" axles.

Axles.jpg

I did manage to get a little more welding done on the frame, it is now 100% welded, I also got most of the box sides cut and some parts of the RTT rack cut. Hope to make some great progress on it in the next few days and this Saturday.

Stay tuned for more photos...

Rutdigger

Watch This!
Quick update for everyone.

My axles arrived (yay) but the box was damaged and parts were missing (boo) Luckily I called the great people at SD Truck Springs and they are sending out the missing pieces (lug nuts and the mounting plates) Hope to have those pieces in the next few days. I also received my adapters to run 6 lug Toyota wheels on the 5x4.5" axles.

View attachment 355039

I did manage to get a little more welding done on the frame, it is now 100% welded, I also got most of the box sides cut and some parts of the RTT rack cut. Hope to make some great progress on it in the next few days and this Saturday.

Stay tuned for more photos...

I might have missed it but what kind of axles are these? I'm interesting in seeing how they ride for a future project of mine. Nice frame! I will be following this.

Martyinco

Adventurer
I might have missed it but what kind of axles are these? I'm interesting in seeing how they ride for a future project of mine. Nice frame! I will be following this.

2,000 lb. Flexiride Adjustable Torsion Half Axles :) I will give a full report once they are on and cruising down the road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke