New, slow build. Do all 2015 Ram Cummins turbo diesel. 37s and 550hp.

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
And FWIW, improper (disco truck) backspacing will kill wheel bearings SUBSTANTIALLY faster due to the leverage they put on the bearings. It's more a leverage thing than a weight thing.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
08baeb3f41183624c54eeef5ae91013b.jpg

Just got home from a weekend of exploring, details soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Inspired by KSL22's recent trip. I planned a short trip up the 395 with my girl for this weekend. Yes I knew it would be busy as hell, yes it rained, but it was tons of fun.

Casa Diablo red airing down in the picture in the previous post.

8ee8e96ce72415fd3fdf97ae8882c66f.jpg

On our way toward hot creek

3d72f7df4176bc62929f3d5e0d34c4e4.jpg

97b255e1a1ebb7ca093465b230a8992b.jpg

56b47add59b4b6d139e0db19b03ebcb6.jpg

In hot creek.

a287490b3b1548398d0cf951a78ac23d.jpg

95c29c77dce2f54ebb64fe171e3fd300.jpg

Heading up convict overlook

e30a6c8cc4af18152dc5e218ca5f201f.jpg

34ae16dbd0a0e63414c6473a62a185a8.jpg

77d03411a8f9821eca95fca8095eaa0c.jpg

dd18dd8f0c996e3430851caf18fefdb8.jpg

Laurel lakes
99b3616ae12986e02db9ae349cf7e4d6.jpg

Utvunderground ride at laurel

77f08ec27cc36ddbf4354c33f18ccf64.jpg
6fd92d19cd2cfdbde3bc5b1d2b252585.jpg

a924a282440bdde5c99c3a3ec078fa40.jpg

Squeezing my rig up the switchback. These fenders were made for 37s! Thanks fiat.

Everything on the truck worked great. Ran 30psi in my tires and walked up the whole laurel lakes trail in 3rd and 4low. I usually run stupid low psi on my 4Runner, but I won't go lower than 30psi on my diesel in order to stay within the Toyo load Inflation table.

A lot of people at the lake were wondering how I got the beast up there.

Convict overlook gave my full width rig some new pin striping. Can't wait for Moab in sept.

Last edited:

Trophycummins

Adventurer

chet6.7

Explorer
No I haven't tried it,I just found out about in the past week or so,I am thinking about it because I am not sure how helpful it will be.
My current truck is my first auto,I do miss the low 1st gear of a manual,I wonder if this would be useful,allowing me to have more gear selections on bumpy pot holed gravel roads when 4x4 is not really needed.It could be handy backing up to a trailer as well.
I think you should buy it.:)

KSL22

Adventurer
You did a great job on your build so far. I am glad that my trip inspired you and that you were able to hit some of the areas I missed out on. How was Casa Diablo? I ran it down to Bishop years ago in my full size Bronco and remember it being fast and loose. :) I was bummed I missed it on my trip.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
You did a great job on your build so far. I am glad that my trip inspired you and that you were able to hit some of the areas I missed out on. How was Casa Diablo? I ran it down to Bishop years ago in my full size Bronco and remember it being fast and loose. :) I was bummed I missed it on my trip.

Casa Diablo rd was fun. Fast and dusty. We actually found a trail off casa Diablo rd that led up to a plateau that made for a perfect camping spot. We ended up camping there after leaving laurel lakes.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Anybody seen any tie rod upgrades for these trucks yet? I have a bad drag link TRE and I would like to upgrade. If none, anybody know the taper? I'll build my own steering.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Dodge is going to cove my steering under warranty.

Living in the southwest, quality shocks and big travel numbers are a necessity for desert travel. I've decided to step my game up and move to custom valved 2.5" king shocks, longer rear sway bar end links, thuren rear coils, and a torsion type front sway bar.

This should net me about 12" of travel in the front, 14" of travel rear, with a nice smooth ride.

I've also got some sway a way 2.5" hydraulic bumpstops that I'm going to try to shoehorn into the front end. An axle truss is coming as well.

08147c496cbe5a7fb3b89e74680a230e.jpg

Last edited:

silvrcummns

Oh I am jealous. Larger shocks have been on my wish list for some time now. I like my thuren valves 2.0's but some thing that could be a little more supple without getting too hot or blowing through the travel would be great. Sure the 2.5's are great but will you ever wish for 3.0's???? That's the question

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Oh I am jealous. Larger shocks have been on my wish list for some time now. I like my thuren valves 2.0's but some thing that could be a little more supple without getting too hot or blowing through the travel would be great. Sure the 2.5's are great but will you ever wish for 3.0's???? That's the question

My buddy does the "abuse" testing for thuren fabrication. He has thuren alien arms, thuren valved 3.0's, bypasses in the rear, and hydraulic bumps. He told me that when he drove don thurens 2014 with the 2.5's, the performance was unreal and rivaled his 07. He said he could drive it just as hard, and the truck ran almost as smooth.

He told me 90mph on washboard was no problem.

I don't have the intention of driving the truck that hard, but I always like to build it better than it needs to be, I'm getting the "stage 3" valving which is middle of the road.

gunpainter

Observer
I gotta ask because it's one of the things I think about because i'm a weirdo. How did the 37's affect fuel mileage? Once thing I love about my '12 CTD MegaCab is getting over 600 miles between fueling. Mines deleted, tuned, 3.73's but running the stock 31.5" tires. I'm gonna need some new tires here before too long, and i'm debating between 33's and 35's.

Also, are you finding yourself feeling like you need lockers, or an LSD at any point? I literally had my first off road experience 8 days ago, and I found that the truck with open diffs front and back did quite well, but it wasn't so bad that it would have demonstrated any weaknesses the truck has. Until now, all my knowledge is from Youtube, and reading forums like this.

Thanks,

Branden

Trophycummins

Adventurer
I gotta ask because it's one of the things I think about because i'm a weirdo. How did the 37's affect fuel mileage? Once thing I love about my '12 CTD MegaCab is getting over 600 miles between fueling. Mines deleted, tuned, 3.73's but running the stock 31.5" tires. I'm gonna need some new tires here before too long, and i'm debating between 33's and 35's.

Also, are you finding yourself feeling like you need lockers, or an LSD at any point? I literally had my first off road experience 8 days ago, and I found that the truck with open diffs front and back did quite well, but it wasn't so bad that it would have demonstrated any weaknesses the truck has. Until now, all my knowledge is from Youtube, and reading forums like this.

Thanks,

Branden

Hi!

37s and mileage: my truck got roughly 20mpg highway in stock form, without tuning. With 37s and stock tune I was seeing about 15.5 mpg highway. With 37s and Efi live/deletes, I'm seeing 18.5 mpg highway. I get about 400 miles to a tank, I carry 12 gallons in the bed when exploring the desert.

My other vehicle is a 93 4Runner with full lockers front and rear, my truck has a factory lsd rear. I don't not feel the need for lockers in my diesel for the terrain I drive over with it, BUT I live in the southwest, snow is a rarity, mud is a rarity. Lockers change capability tremendously.

As far as my build, just trying to get some things out of my head and on paper(or build thread in this case):
To-do list

King 2.5s
Rear thuren coils and sway bar end links
Front torsion sway bar
"Overland" rack/bed cage with two stand up spares.
Smittybilt or tepui RTT
Flat floor behind seats with tie downs
Bed organization
Rigid industries scene lighting for camp
Arb 2000 awning

All in the next 7 weeks before Moab.

If time permits:
Custom front bumper using patton fabrication frame horns.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles