Bought a Gen III w/ 115K miles, what should I check/fix along with timing belt?

Tragic_Bronson

Just bought a 2002 Montero Limited (my first Montero). There's no record of any maintenance, so I'm having the timing belt and water pump done, along with a transmission flush. What other maintenance should I have done for peace of mind—particularly with a shop already digging into the timing belt?
IMG_20160621_160916.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160621_160916.jpg
    IMG_20160621_160916.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 9

offthepath

Adventurer
Nice rig! I really like the white Monteros w/tan trim.

Im in the same boat I just got an 03 with 100k. My plan is to change all fluids (trans, transfer case, diffs, etc), coolant flush, all new hoses, air filter, spark plugs, plug wires (but not the coils), serpentine belt, timing belt w/water pump etc, grease everything that can be....Anything Im missing??? I think that should give me a good starting point going forward.

Tragic_Bronson

Thanks for the reply. I asked the same question in a Montero facebook group. Other suggestions I got were:
• Camshaft and crankshaft seals.
• New timing belt tensioner (use OEM only) and pulley, replace the crankshaft pulley bolt with the newest updated version if is hasn't been done already, and make sure the shop uses the updated torque setting for it.
• Lots of cautions about making sure the transmission flush is not done with a pressurized machine. Apparently it can cause more harm than good?

offthepath

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. I asked the same question in a Montero facebook group. Other suggestions I got were:
• Camshaft and crankshaft seals.
• New timing belt tensioner (use OEM only) and pulley, replace the crankshaft pulley bolt with the newest updated version if is hasn't been done already, and make sure the shop uses the updated torque setting for it.
• Lots of cautions about making sure the transmission flush is not done with a pressurized machine. Apparently it can cause more harm than good?

Good call on the cam seals Ill make sure to do those. Are they talking about the front main? Is that a problem on these engines?

There was just a write up posted (still on the front page) with a link to a DYI flush for the tranny using a disconnected cooler line. That's the route I'm going to use. I have used a similar method on my f250 and it seems to get just about all the fluid out. Still trying to decide if Im going to change the tranny filter though.....

DeltaFry

Observer
I also bought a 2005 Montero(97K) and asked the mechanic for an open list of what can be done after inspecting... I'm planning to do this one by one --

DRIVE BELT: Belt tensioner+ Serpentine belt - <Comment: Bit of wear and tear>
Timing Kit with Water pump - <Comment: 100K is when this is changed or will break your valves which are expensive)
Cooling System < Not immediate>
Remove and replace Valve Cover Gasket --< It's leaking oil and might screw up the catalytic converter in the long run>, My COMMENT -- Get the Vale covers also changed
New Spark Plugs < 100K change for mileage>
Power Steering Fluid <It's below the low mark and might be time for100K)
Steering Rack(Rack and pinion) < Leaking oil a bit>
Replace front differential seal and rear pinion seal <Again,leaking oil a bit>
Transmission fluid change < Again age of 100 K calls for it>

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Sounds like a bunch of new Montys - I just picked up a 2001 Limited and am slowly getting around to doing a build thread. I'm putting my to-do list in google doc format along with my parts list. Here's the start:

Maintenance list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16sYlsUnGBlez3Z7fxJlaH7DwXFIIcIt1NV4yJMm4fls/edit?usp=sharing

Engine Refresh Parts List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gbUj5RziJTqk-i_Fs9HughXCmFE77CWoFsiUOkFfF0c/edit?usp=sharing

It's coming along, I'm hopefully eventually it'll have tutorials, reviews, etc all built in. Hopefully it's helpful.

BTW - 2001 & 2002 should have the 3.5 Engine, 2003 and later have the 3.8, I don't know how much overlap there is yet...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz