12v extension cord for fridge?

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
What are they charging for the truck fridge cords? And what gauge are they?

I would really like to source one of those 90 deg. Plug ends that is replaceable so I can make my own.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Brian,

I just ordered a spare ARB dc cord for my fridge on amazon, and it was 28 bucks. My arb has fittings that look exactly like the OP's, but I cannot guarantee they are the same. But the male posts on his fridge look identical, and my arb cord plug looks identical.

Craig

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
What are they charging for the truck fridge cords? And what gauge are they?

I would really like to source one of those 90 deg. Plug ends that is replaceable so I can make my own.
My replacement cord from Truckfridge was $25 in Feb. It's a nicer, longer cord than what came with the fridge too.

fiddypal

Adventurer
I have a dometic with similar plug and this was one of the first mods I did. Cut the cig outlet connector off the end, identify which side is power and which is ground, solder on a new quick connect lead.

In my truck I have quick connectors available for power coming off my 2nd battery. If I want to use the cig outlet (in my wife's jeep for example which is not outfitted for outdoors) I just plug the cig outlet connectors back to the cord and it's back to normal!

Forgot to mention, the plugs I use are 10g and I believe they were slightly thicker than the fridge power cord. I'd say 8-10 gauge would serve you fine. If in doubt go on the thicker side.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What did the wire size of the e-bay one turn out to be?

A little thicker than the factory cord. I think the factory cord is maybe 16g or so, so I guess this could be a 14g? Either way it worked fine with no noticeable voltage drop.

SnoViking

Adventurer
I picked up one of the Motopowered plugs off Amazon back when they were still available. I chopped off the cig lighter end and I spliced on a set of 10AWG SAE plugs. I used low voltave landscape lighting wire (12AWG) and made up two separate "extensions". I made a 25ft and a 75ft version. This way I can use either or (or both) extensions to either plug in the solar panel or power the fridge remotely.

SAE plugs: https://www.amazon.com/CES-Gauge-Qu...=UTF8&qid=1495567506&sr=8-9&keywords=sae+plug

Landscape wire: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00378K8ZO/ref=twister_B01N5IEH0F?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I have my solar charge control wired up with SAE connectors so I easily swap and plug in different accessories (or my second battery).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior