12v extension cord for fridge?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Solar system has been ordered, I'm going to start with a 100w setup that is expandable, and if I need to expand to a 2nd 100w panel I will. In the meantime, the fridge will need to sit in the camper. Problem now is that the cord for the fridge is 5' long and the nearest 12v receptacle to where it would sit is over 6' away. Right now I've got it sitting on the bed but obviously that's not a long term solution.
Question for the group, then: Is there a 12v extension cord that will not cause enough voltage drop to cause the fridge to shut off? If there exists such a thing, can anyone point me in the right direction?
If not, would I be better off just making a cable? Obviously I can find the 12v male and female ends, and if I do what gauge of wire should I use? A better solution would be to make a dedicated longer cable but I'm reluctant to cut the cable I have in order to get an "end" I can use. Does anyone know where i can get the end that plugs into the fridge? I can take a photo if neccessary.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
They make extension cords for cig lighters.

Like this one

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Cigarette-Lighter-12-Foot-Extension/dp/B00P68L9RO

That one is pretty well overkill for your needs, being 4mm wire (roughly 6 AWG)

What connector doe the fridge have on it?

I have made up many 12V extension cords, but I always stick to anderson connectors.

Here is where the power connects. The 12v is visible on the right - a very odd configuration, don't know if it's unique to Indel-B fridges or if it's used on other types of electronics:

2016-06-27 12.21.50.jpg

I'm reluctant to have too long a cable or to have too many connections because my fear is that a longer cable or more connections will cause a voltage drop that will make the voltage cut off kick in and shut off the fridge.

If I could find a female plug that is identical to the one that my fridge has, I'd just make my own cable, using heavy gauge wire.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
What I've done for some of my devises is use anderson connectors to make a junction in a factory cable, like your factory cable you mention you do not want to alter.

putting them mid-stream, allows you to add an extension without much trouble, the size and gauge you want, and pretty well guarantees a solid connection.

50A-DC-connector-Anderson-plug-power-plug-Socket.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
What I've done for some of my devises is use anderson connectors to make a junction in a factory cable, like your factory cable you mention you do not want to alter.

putting them mid-stream, allows you to add an extension without much trouble, the size and gauge you want, and pretty well guarantees a solid connection.

50A-DC-connector-Anderson-plug-power-plug-Socket.jpg

That looks good, what gauge of wire are you using there?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Its kind of hard to scale via the picture.
But, In a pinch you can probably get by using female spade connector individually on those DC pins.
Obvious guaranteed to pissoff an 'Expotard... But maybe thats worth it !
I'm looking for something durable and reliable, so a jury-rigged connection is not going to suffice. I can't seem to find out if it's possible to get a replacement cord for my Truckfridge/indel-B TB41. If I could get a replacement cord I'd just buy one (or two) and cut the end off and use it to make an extended power cord.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
That looks good, what gauge of wire are you using there?

Depends upon your application.

Anderson connectors come in a variety of sizes, based upon your wire size/needs

Most of mine are set up using 10AWG

The ones that connect the truck bank to the house bank uses 2 AWG

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I have the same extension cord that IdaSHO listed above and is is seriously beefy. I use it for a tent fan and I doubt you would see much, if any, of a voltage drop with it. I don't know what the gauge is, but I would think it's got to be at least 12 awg cable.

I stated the wire size in my post :)

That particular one is listed at 4mm2 or roughly 6 AWG

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks like the ticket, provided it isnt small enough wire to create the voltage drop issue you are looking to avoid.

Please post back with the wire gauge that it is made with.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I can't seem to find out if it's possible to get a replacement cord for my Truckfridge/indel-B TB41. If I could get a replacement cord I'd just buy one (or two) and cut the end off and use it to make an extended power cord.
Call TruckFridge. They sent me a new cord last year.

Scoutman

Explorer
I was going to suggest this one that I've had marked on Amazon for a while but someone beat me to it. This says 16 ga which isn't very HD for 12' long. Curious to see what the one from ebay comes out to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier