4x4 Vans

dieck

Adventurer
I don't own one of these but I've thought a lot about it. Lots of pictures here

Also, I live in Austin, Tx where the first sportsmobile factory is. Lots of kewl trucks in their parking lot.

A few cool ones:

dan_lance1.jpg

52991P1010071.jpg

37s_on_a_quigley.jpg

isafold122003_36.jpg

IMG_0043_sized.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice! I would not hesitate to recommend the Sportsmobile to anyone. They are a first class operation with a high quality product.

dieck

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Nice! I would not hesitate to recommend the Sportsmobile to anyone. They are a first class operation with a high quality product.

Interestingly, when I first happened across your web page I was reading the analysis of fuel/mileage/payload that you put together. If you put a sportsmobile in that analysis, it blows all the others away from a payload/range perspective. Some of them have 3000lb payloads

On the other hand, probably not nearly as bulletproof (OEM) as a yota...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Wow, I thought I was a picture pack rat! Great galleries of the Sportsmobile and Tacomas.

As much as it pains me to say it, and it pains me A LOT, a Sportsmobile with the Powerstoke diesel (preferably the 7.3, not the new 6.0) is probably one of the smartest buys for a person looking to take multi-week/month trips. The 7.3 is a 600K motor, before being due for a rebuild and it's designed to haul a large load for long periods, while a Toyota motor hauls a lot for a long time, well.

The question maybe should be, whether having the comforts of the Sportsmobile at the end of the day are worth the stress of piloting that boat down narrow trails all day vs. having an easily manueverable Toyota 4x4 on the trail all day, but sleeping wedged in the back of a pick up or SUV at night?

I don't know, but I hope fate has a Sportsmobile for me in my future!

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Djeck, I'm in San Antonio. We ought to get together and go wheeling sometime. We have some decent places down here.

Nice looking vans too!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Wow! Nice find. I know this is bad but growing up in WI, all the 4x4 Vans I saw were pretty trashy and all rusted out, so I allways asociated 4x4 vans with the sterotypical white trash. :(

These help me think otherwise!
Icecool1_sized.jpg
1_G.sized.jpg

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Sweet Excusion!

Attachments

• IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3599.jpg
    IMG_3599.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3601.jpg
    IMG_3601.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 0

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I love Icelandic wheelers! They are sweet rigs! I setup a web page dedicated to just Iceland rigs! Check it out here: Icelandic Rigs

This one is a buddy of mine over in Iceland that will help with Next years Expedition!:

4x4-sunday-test-drive-123.jpg

VikingVince

Explorer
Hey All

I'm glad this thread was started...I know I could check manufacturers but it's easier and less time consuming to ask here (no doubt somebody knows): Are there any stock 4x4 vans (who makes them?) or are all vans 2x4 and then converted?

I usually go to the annual RV show here in southern Cal and Sportsmobile is always well represented there...this year I think they had 4 or 5 of their models there. If you get ALL the offroad options plus bells and whistles, you're looking at about $90K!!!!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Vince,

There are All Wheel Drive vans available from the factory (remember the one we pulled out on the Mojave trip. However, there are no solid axle vans with low range gearing. That is a Quigly conversion, which retains all of the factory warranties.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
In addition to Sportsmobile, there is another company that does 4x4 van conversions. Pathfinder Vans out of Salt Lake City, can set up a panel van as a long term off-road expedition type outfit. I haven't heard quite as many positive reviews of their vans as I have heard from Sportsmobile owners, regarding fit and finish of the interior. Still worth a look.

There is a very eclectic group of Toyota 4WD Van owners out there. These guys have mad pride in their vans and they do go on some fun trips too.

Keeping with the ExPo theme, I have another site I really enjoy from a (non 4WD) van owner, who is out seeing, hiking and paddling the country. Get to know Clyde Sisler.

XXXpedition

Explorer
i really like the proportions of the iceland trucks especially the icecool 6x6 but this door feature is just too sweet...
4vg2_5b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles