FarOutVan: Ford Transit 2016 DIY campervan conversion for MTB & splitboarding

atoine

Observer
We added a pair of Rockford Fosgate 6"x8" speakers to the headliner. It's been a few months already since we did it and we've been procrastinating to publish the write-up -"We'll do it later when we have time"-... We definitely have a surplus of time right now, so here it is ?

faroutride.com/speakers-headliner

We had the (very) basic radio system, so we already upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer and the front speakers for JBL, which really improved things. But because of the location of the front speakers (near the floor), they get muted at high speed, especially in high wind & rain conditions.

The headliner's speakers really took the audio to the next level: we really dig the deep "surround" sound and the fact that it doesn't get muted at high speed. The sound is also much better when we hang out in the back of the van.

Happy quarantine y'all!

Ford-Transit-Speakers-Headliner-DIY-Audio-Heading-(1920).jpg

rustypayne

I've been researching vans for a few years since selling my sportsmobile and just found this thread. I have to say WOW, your site is the most detailed information source I've ever found. Thank you!

atoine

Observer
We joined our friends Eric and Yuka to install mosquito screens on their Transit (they live full time in it). The screens are pretty neat: the side door screen is magnetic and shuts automagically by itself, and the height of the rear door screen is custom made to align with the elevated platform bed. The installation went pretty smoothly, it's a bit of an iteration process to find the perfect location for the screens, but it's totally doable with a bit of patience. Both screens took a few hours to install.
I'd say our Rolef screens are more high-end (and twice the price). But The Bug Wall are the best bang for your bucks and do the job perfectly.

More info and where to buy: faroutride.com/mosquito-screens

The-Bug-Wall-Mosquito-Screens-Camper-Van-Life-Installation-(Ford-Transit,-Side-Door-Install).jpg
The-Bug-Wall-Mosquito-Screens-Camper-Van-Life-Installation-(Ford-Transit,-Side-Door).jpg
The-Bug-Wall-Mosquito-Screens-Camper-Van-Life-Installation-(Ford-Transit,-rear-door).jpg

Your blog + articles have been a god send for my build over the last year, thanks so much for the hard work you guys do putting this together. I wish you guys did more youtube content!

atoine

Observer
Thanks for the kind words :)

Creating quality content for YouTube is a full time job (we know a few YouTubers, it's crazy the amount of work they spend filming and editing!), and believe it or not faroutride.com still occupies most of our time (when we're not on our bikes or skis :giggle:)

See you on the road!
antoine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles