FarOutVan: Ford Transit 2016 DIY campervan conversion for MTB & splitboarding

atoine

Observer
Awning Installation

We installed a Fiamma F45S awning, which is installed on the side of the van just above the door (i believe only the High-Roof has some room to do this).

It looks like a solid product and the color match the Magnetic Grey of the Transit :)

Here is the story:
http://faroutride.com/fiamma-f45s-awning-installation/

FarOutRide-Fiamma-F45S-Installation-600width.jpg

atoine

Observer
Webasto Air Heater Installation

The Webasto AirTop 2000 STC was quite a challenge for us to install.
It took us almost 20-30 hours to perform the job, while others reported having done it in about 4-6 hours. Oh well. :blush:

We're done with the install and are very satisfied with the result. We're having one of the warmest summer, so we did not have the "chance" to use it. We tested it, however, and it worked :)

Cheers!
http://faroutride.com/air-heater-installation/

Webastro-How-To.jpg

atoine

Observer
Just a quick update on the Fiamma Rain Guard.

We ordered 4 meters of the "L" model (9cm width) via Ebay. We received it in just a few days.

It took less than an hour to install. The seal really snap into the awning, feel very secure and has a "OEM" look.

We got heavy rain and it did what it's suppose to do, except locally at one place above the sliding door where there is a few drops leaking. Not a big deal, we might add a tiny bit of sealant between the seal and the van to complete the installation.

I think it was worth the $.

Fiamma-Rain-Guard-Cross-Section.jpeg

Fiamma-Rain-Guard.jpeg

iridewheelies

Adventurer
a note on your Webasto install,

I originally had my exhaust pointing down under the van like you do. I found that when the heater started up it will make some fumes and they are trapped under the van, even rising up and into microscopic openings into the cabin. It doesn't take much before you can smell it and it lingers. The heater will cycle on and off during the night. I moved my exhaust so it exited the side of the vehicle nearly parallel with the ground. Now if there are fumes they will rise up into the atmosphere and away from the van. I don't smell any exhaust fumes in the van now.

I also had to move my air intake because it would get packed up with snow and ice when driving in winter conditions. I'd have to crawl under the van and clear it out before the heater would start. I don't think that'll happen to you by looking at the picture but I wanted to mention it so you could plan for it.

Other than that, I think you did a fantastic job!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Use double sided tape where the rain guard us dripping. Dont use house hold silicon on your paint it will eat through and generate rust.

atoine

Observer
a note on your Webasto install,

I originally had my exhaust pointing down under the van like you do. I found that when the heater started up it will make some fumes and they are trapped under the van, even rising up and into microscopic openings into the cabin. It doesn't take much before you can smell it and it lingers. The heater will cycle on and off during the night. I moved my exhaust so it exited the side of the vehicle nearly parallel with the ground. Now if there are fumes they will rise up into the atmosphere and away from the van. I don't smell any exhaust fumes in the van now.

I also had to move my air intake because it would get packed up with snow and ice when driving in winter conditions. I'd have to crawl under the van and clear it out before the heater would start. I don't think that'll happen to you by looking at the picture but I wanted to mention it so you could plan for it.

Other than that, I think you did a fantastic job!

Thanks for the tips, what you're saying make sense. We will test our setup and make adjustments as required!
The Webasto states that the exhaust must be pointing down and that the length of the exhaust cannot be extended (except if the diameter is increased to compensate for pressure lost); meeting all requirements is challenging, but we will figure it out i guess!

Use double sided tape where the rain guard us dripping. Dont use house hold silicon on your paint it will eat through and generate rust.

You're right about Silicone, except for Silicone II which is a "neutral cure" silicone; it means no acids are released during the curing process and therefore it is non-corrosive. We used GE Silicone II sparingly during the project.

atoine

Observer
Great built. Subscribed. We will be building a similar van, but we need 4x4. Thanks for documenting this so well.

Just went through your website, I really enjoyed all the info there. I would LOVE to be able to work remotely like you guys are doing!

Keep up the good work!
Subscribed to your Instagram :)

Cheers!

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Thanks for following along. Our instagram is weak, but our YouTube channel is pretty robust. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Maybe our paths will cross one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles