FarOutVan: Ford Transit 2016 DIY campervan conversion for MTB & splitboarding

atoine

Observer
Platform Bed Installation

We wanted a permanent raised bed above the "garage" (over the mountain bikes and other equipment); no need to fold/unfold the bed at night & it creates a lot of storage room.

Here is the installation writeup:
http://faroutride.com/platform-bed-installation/

Platform-Bed-Installation.jpg

wp-1478002954776.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Great work and fantastic writeups. We almost bought a transit to do a similar build. If we ever do go the transit route, we'll be referring to your build religiously.

atoine

Observer
Thanks!

Your E350 was for sale a few weeks ago, right? To get a Transit.
Plans are made to be changed :) What is the new plan??

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Yup. After test driving a few transits we decided to stick to the E350. We tow a lot, and we felt the E350 was better suited for our needs.

atoine

Observer
Fridge & Electrical System Cabinet

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends on this forum! (a day late…)
We’re grateful for all the help we got from this community in making this crazy project a reality!

Posting detailed articles about our build is our way of giving back or inspire others fellow member of this community, hopefully it did.

This is how we built our Fridge & Electrical System cabinet:
http://faroutride.com/fridge-electricity-cabinet/

Fridge-Electrical-System-Cabinet-600pix.jpg

Enjoy the long weekend!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
This intake silencer used by espar (should work with webasto) is a bit larger, and would provide more noise reduction I think?

http://www.heatso.com/eberspacher-combustion-air-silencer/

On the interior side you can make a heating air muffler out of home store plumbing parts. Basically you need 2 reducing unions. Something like 3-4" size. Take a piece of 4"? pipe and line it with open celled foam about 1/2" thick, some screen to hold it in place might be needed. Put the reducers on both ends and attach to your ducting. The interior diameter of the muffler should be no smaller than the ducts you are using.

If you really want to quiet the pump clicking down you need to ditch the factory mount. Instead wrap the pump in high density foam at least 1/2" thick. Neoprene would work well. Then use a zip ties or a hose clamp to secure it to a bracket or the van body (make sure the angle is correct). The espar mount is completely made of rubber and does a bit better job I think.

To reduce noise transmission through the lines, add a full loop on the inlet and outlet side.

atoine

Observer
Webasto / Espar High Altitudes

The Webasto / Espar Diesel air heaters are susceptible of accumulating diesel deposit (a.k.a. “coking”) at higher altitudes because the ratio of oxygen VS fuel is lowered (i.e. the mix is too “rich” in fuel). This coking would eventually accumulate and lead to malfunction / loss of performance.

For the Espar, the solution is to add a high-altitude module. (more details in the post)
For the Webasto, there is no physical part to add; the unit must be programmed for high altitudes. (more details in the post)

http://faroutride.com/webasto-espar-high-altitudes/

Mountains-200px.jpg

Espar-High-Altitude-Module-e1481374731876.jpg

Webasto-Rotary-Rheostat-resize.jpg

Webasto-SmartTemp-e1481374316144.jpg

Webasto-MultiControl-e1481373931303.jpg

Slapmackie

Observer
Congrats guys, van looks awesome! Looks like we're in pretty much the same boat. The company I work for is shutting down at the end of the year so i'm selling the house and I plan on heading out around spring, when do you guys plan on hitting the road? Perhaps we can link up out west somewhere and slay some trails! Cheers

Attachments

• unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 170

atoine

Observer
Congrats guys, van looks awesome! Looks like we're in pretty much the same boat. The company I work for is shutting down at the end of the year so i'm selling the house and I plan on heading out around spring, when do you guys plan on hitting the road? Perhaps we can link up out west somewhere and slay some trails! Cheers

It's hard to tell right now, as there is so many things to get done with... We keep in touch! You will be on the road for a while?

Slapmackie

Observer
It's hard to tell right now, as there is so many things to get done with... We keep in touch! You will be on the road for a while?[/QUOT

I hear ya. I'm trying to knock out my conversion fairly quick so I can fix up a few things around the house before I sell it. My plan is to sell the house that my Mother left me when she passed and just travel to the most beautiful places I can find and scatter her ashes along the way. I'll be bringing my bike so I hope to get in some good riding as well. Hope to be in the southwest in spring then slowly zigzag north as it warms up, just figure it out as I go...

atoine

Observer
Electrical System Installation

We're a bit late on the post, but here is our electrical system installation!
We used it for a few summer week-long trips and it has served us very well so far :)
The winter test will happened next week, throughout the holidays, while we will spend a week in the backcountry for some splitboarding adventures.

http://faroutride.com/electrical-system-installation/

Electrical-System-Installation-small.jpeg

Electrical-System-Installation-Van-Conversion-small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles