FarOutVan: Ford Transit 2016 DIY campervan conversion for MTB & splitboarding

atoine

Observer
Hi!

So we finally took the plunge and bought (and received) our Ford Transit (148" wheel base, high-roof, extended-length). This is a pretty big deal for us, as the van also come with this promise for 2017: to leave our jobs, sell the house and travel the america for at least a year (or more if we can support it financially) and just RIDE (splitboarding & mountain-biking). Then, after the trip, we will relocate permanently on the west-coast, in the mountains, somewhere, and use the van for our (shorter) travels...

We're not skilled with tools, but we're motivated and are willing to learn throughout the process. Let's see how it will work out!!

Our build will be documented in our Build Journal.

Here is what we did so far:

1- Switched the tires for BFG KO2 225/75/R16
First-Ride-Avila-Resized.jpeg

2- Installed the Maxxair Fan. See our post here.
Fan-Installation-resized.jpg

3- Installed 2x 160W solar panels using 3M VHB tape. See our port here.
Solar-Panels-Installation-e1466256218743.jpg

We're currently working on the floor & installing the thinsulate. We will post as we progress!

CHEERS!
Maxxair-Fan-Installation-reward-resized.jpeg

atoine

Observer
I'm sure there is enough room in the van to fit a small 2.5 gallons keg & tap... the problem is to keep it cold without using all the refrigerator space!

A small Danfoss compressor and foam-insulated box would probably do the trick, but they are not cheap :(

Oh well!

Darwin

Explorer
Are you planning on going into Mexico and Central America at all? If so, are you taking the bikes and do you plan to keep them inside the van?

atoine

Observer
The plan for now is to travel USA and Canada only (in-progress wishlist: faroutride.com/the-ride/). The bikes and the splitboards will stay with us at all time since we won't have any fixed storage (our house will be sold and is on the east coast anyway).

But, what I've learn from previous trips is that the best advice comes from other travelers that we meet on the road; plans are made to be changes :)

atoine

Observer
We bought 2 DiscountVanTruck.com swivel seat plates with the intention on installing them on both driver & passenger side. To install on the driver side, you have to perform the handbrake mod as described here.

A few notes:
1- With the dual AGM batteries, the big bolt in the center of the swivel will interfere with the battery. No room for swivel here. Would it works with the SwivelRus?

2- The holes pattern did not match with the van base, so we had to elongate 2 holes.

Complete story & installation notes here:
http://faroutride.com/swivel-seat-installation/

01-Swivel-Seat-Installation-e1467366466331.jpg

Cheers!

4Fox

Observer
Wow, your website is incredible. I wish I had the talent for that. nicely done!

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Choff

Adventurer
KEEP IT COMMING, YOUR WEB SITE IS GREAT !!!!
Vanning is the best way to travel hands down
Choff

markley

Observer
Wow! Awesome website! My wife and I are currently in the same state of mind...buy a van, convert, take an extended trip, then eventually end up out west in 5 yrs or so for more frequent short trips. Looking forward to following your conversion! We have been really debating whether to get a Transit or Sprinter (4x4). Although, I'm wondering if we could get away with 2wd and larger tires...our adventures definitely take us off the beaten path, but likely only need the clearance for uneven forest roads.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
For not being very skilled you sure are taking on some serious projects! Keep up the good work and enjoy every minute of it!

atoine

Observer
My wife and I are currently in the same state of mind...buy a van, convert, take an extended trip, then eventually end up out west in 5 yrs or so for more frequent short trips. Looking forward to following your conversion! We have been really debating whether to get a Transit or Sprinter (4x4). Although, I'm wondering if we could get away with 2wd and larger tires...our adventures definitely take us off the beaten path, but likely only need the clearance for uneven forest roads.

We've been thinking about the project for a long time, but we were reluctant; what about the money? our things? our job? and so on. But since we really took the plunge, it's much easier to focus on solutions rather than focus on problems! We started saving more money too: it's motivating to cut on expenses when you know the saved money will buy you some more time travelling :)
We did not splurge on a 4x4, but we tough about it. In the end, we've been using the VW Jetta (which has very low clearance) for the past 6 years and we never had to turn around; so the Transit should be fine! We'll see...

For not being very skilled you sure are taking on some serious projects! Keep up the good work and enjoy every minute of it!

It's crazy what you can learn on discussion forums and youtube these days!

Thanks all for the compliment on the website; it's a lot of work but hopefully it can help others.
We installed the Fiamma F45S awning last week, we will update the website shortly!

markley

Observer
We did not splurge on a 4x4, but we tough about it. In the end, we've been using the VW Jetta (which has very low clearance) for the past 6 years and we never had to turn around; so the Transit should be fine! We'll see...

Yeah, I hear ya..I've really gone back and forth with the 4x4. I'm sure that the Transit with the larger tires would get us to to 95% of the places we'd take it, but would love to have 4wd if needed. Just not sure if that will justify the added cost for us. I'd love to hear how yours does when you get it out off the paved roads.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles