FarOutVan: Ford Transit 2016 DIY campervan conversion for MTB & splitboarding

atoine

Observer
I'm glad this thread popped back to the top because I've been wanting to tell you guys I really appreciate all the work you put into documenting your build and your travels. Its really nice to have some info about what you ended up using for what and how its working out for you on the road.

I'm still in the build phase myself and your site has been incredibly helpful for planning my own build.

Keep it up!

Thanks for taking your time to write this, it means a lot :)

Yeah, I really want to keep updating the site as the van (and the conversion) ages. There is a lot of van conversion blog out there, but a few get updated in the long run...

Cheers!!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Two words: tire pressure. Drop your sidewall height by 25%, and you can drive right out. :Wow1:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
We did that too! But not too much so we can still drive on the pavement to the closer service station.

Yeah, one of the most important tools for anyone driving dirt/sand and backroads is a portable air compressor. There are several great compact units on amazon. Look for one with direct battery connect alligator clamps. For you van around 18psi rear and 14psi front would be enough for deep sand, obviously keep your speed down.

Amazingly I have encountered folks doing desert driving in "well equipped" 4x4s with no air compressor! They have the winch, the bumpers, the lockers, the skid plates, an ARB fridge, awnings, and a roof top tent, but no air compressor.... They wonder why they can't get up the dunes? Strange business.

Also, if you have some carpet or floor mats, they can be used to good effect in the sand/dirt.

Last edited:

sg1

Adventurer
I fully agree, especially with the relatively small and narrow tires you have on your Transit. I know what I am talking about after driving a Transit for 7 years through Africa and Latinamerica. I used my compressor so often that I wore it out and had to get a new one. If you then have sandboards (Matrax or similar) a strong tow rope and a good shovel you have all the must have recovery equipment.

atoine

Observer
I fully agree, especially with the relatively small and narrow tires you have on your Transit. I know what I am talking about after driving a Transit for 7 years through Africa and Latinamerica. I used my compressor so often that I wore it out and had to get a new one. If you then have sandboards (Matrax or similar) a strong tow rope and a good shovel you have all the must have recovery equipment.

That sounds like a GREAT adventure! SEVEN years??! nice :)

atoine

Observer
WINTER PREPS!

It's time. We've been chasing the SUN for the last few months, we're ready to chase the SNOW from now on! Let's drive north! But before we do, we have a few improvements to turn the van into the ultimate powderchasing machine! Let's get to work! This week, home is where the building supplies are...

Home-Depot-Winter-Preps.jpeg

atoine

Observer
Thule / Konig XG-12 PRO Snow Chains

Carrying snow chains is something we got really good at, but it would be wise to get better at putting them on! Indeed, it requires a little bit of practice and doing it under the Arizona winter is much more enjoyable than under the blizzard.

We consider snow chains a safety device rather than a gizmo, so we splurged on a set of high-quality Thule / Konig XG-12 PRO snow chains. With their patented system, they're simple to install and don't require to move the vehicle during installation, nice! Here is our "home-made" installation/removal guide along with our thoughts on them:

http://faroutride.com/thule-snow-chains-review/

Thule-Konig-XG-12-PRO-Snow-Chains-Review-2-500px-1.jpg

atoine

Observer
Propex HS2000 Installation

Follow-up on the Webasto issues: it's still running fine, but it seems to take more pump clicks before firing up. Or maybe I'm just going crazy with this.

Anyway, here is the situation: we've been 3 months on the road chasing the sun and in exactly 2 weeks, we take a major 180 degrees turn and drive north to chase the snow. Who knows if these issues will come back or not? The call of snow is way, way too strong. We've been planning this trip for years... let's fix this:

http://faroutride.com/propex-install/

Propex-HS2000-Heater-Installation-Heading-500px.jpg

We now have a good heater backup plan, we couldn't be more excited to go snowboarding!!

tBatt

I really enjoy following your build! The detail of your build process on the blog is a great resource that I'm sure I'll be referencing once I'm ready to take the plunge myself. As I'm sure you know, the avalanche conditions are extremely sketchy all over the mountain west. Looks like a pattern change and lots more snow for mid January. Lots of load on a rotted base. Be careful and have fun!

atoine

Observer
I really enjoy following your build! The detail of your build process on the blog is a great resource that I'm sure I'll be referencing once I'm ready to take the plunge myself. As I'm sure you know, the avalanche conditions are extremely sketchy all over the mountain west. Looks like a pattern change and lots more snow for mid January. Lots of load on a rotted base. Be careful and have fun!

Thanks!
We'll be humble out there, we still have a lot to learn about avalanche.

Happy new year!

atoine

Observer
Nature's Head Composting Toilet Review

The Nature’s Head composting toilet really made living full time in the van much, much more enjoyable. We’ve been using it full time since September 2017, so it’s time to have a discussion about this relieving device!

http://faroutride.com/natures-head-review/

Natures-Head-Composting-Toilet-Review-500px.jpg

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94