RPhil's Excursion

justbecause

perpetually lost
I need to stop looking at these notifications and unsubscribe from all the excursion threads because every time I see an update I want to buy an excursion.

B.A.R.K.

Appreciate the detailed write up on the axle swap. This is definitely high on my want list for many reasons.

Interesting that you pulled the draw system out. I am in the middle of building my drawer system and just finished the back half. It is built into four modular sections that are easily removed so it can be setup in different configurations with or without the 3rd row.

Very interested in how you tie into the rear coolant loop and what you use for the heat exchanger. This was an idea of mine, but haven't seen anyone mention it or see how they've done it. Is there a thread somewhere that I missed or are you one of the first venturing into this area?
The axle upgrade completely transformed the ride. Here is the write-up for anyone else who is interested: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/...th-2-5-springs-and-pro-comp-rear-22415-a.html.

3ZqVAOyh.jpg

Nothing worth noting otherwise. Random camping trips and use. I took the drawers out, it was a cool concept but more headroom is more valuable to me. They also weighed a ton, which was noticeable with the new rear leaf springs.

Next change will be a hot water system plumbed into the vehicle's coolant loop. Not too hard or expensive.

I wish I used it to explore more... too many hobbies and not enough time.

Good luck with your build.

RPhil

Adventurer
Appreciate the detailed write up on the axle swap. This is definitely high on my want list for many reasons.

Interesting that you pulled the draw system out. I am in the middle of building my drawer system and just finished the back half. It is built into four modular sections that are easily removed so it can be setup in different configurations with or without the 3rd row.

Very interested in how you tie into the rear coolant loop and what you use for the heat exchanger. This was an idea of mine, but haven't seen anyone mention it or see how they've done it. Is there a thread somewhere that I missed or are you one of the first venturing into this area?

There are a few threads on various forums. Here is one specific to Excursions:

If you wanted it at the rear, you would just need to tap into the coolant lines heading to the rear HVAC system. This would be on-demand hot water only when your coolant is hot, so you would need to get the truck up to temperature. You can also get fancy and add a Webasto/Espar to the coolant loop to warm the coolant up. This gets expensive quick and the scope can snowball... if you are doing that, then you could have a separate battery to tie in to your rear HVAC fans so that they can blow warm air without having the truck on.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles