2002 E250 Moto/ camp/ kid hauler build

pgchustla

Followed your lead on the Transit seats for my Chevy van. The foam, plywood, carpet install is so clean!

There is a seller on e-bay with tons of these seats with brackets. ( I got a 3 seater )

The seat belts and carseat clips are ideal. :ylsmoke:

Gat

It's been a few months since we've done work on the van so when Saturday turned out sunny and warm we got to work. In the morning I had new tires installed. These are Falken WildPeak A/T3W in size LT235/85R16 (changed from Toyo Open Country H/T in the same size). I like how these tires look on the van and they should provide improved traction when off paved roads.

tire.jpg

The next project was to install the opening rear windows we picked up last summer. The old windows came out okay, the biggest pain is cleaning the black sealant off the doors. I used Permatex 80855 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive to install the new windows. It suppose to rain the next 3 days so we'll see how I did.
I had the fixed windows tinted but decided to go a different route with these. I purchased a roll of perforated vinyl wrap and did both windows (I will do the window on the side door with this as well). The wrap makes seeing in difficult but doesn't block vision to the outside. We'll see how the wrap holds up over the summer.

Here are the pics of the window install.
window1.jpg

window2.jpg

window3.jpg

window4.jpg

Last edited:

Wrap Dude

A quick tip about the vinyl you used on your back windows. If it's not laminated, when it rains, the holes fill up with water, and it really limits the visibility thru the film. I really like the look of white perforated film on a white vehicle tho.

Last edited:

Gat

Another little update going on as the weather cooperates.

We pulled the side door and gave it a quick clean up and shot of paint. The paint isn't a perfect match to the original white but it was much cheaper than paying someone to shoot the door (I was quoted $175 if I brought the prepped door in). I spent $20 on spray cans and it took an afternoon. We also added the perforated vinyl to the side window as well.
door1.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

I also pulled the plywood floor out of the van and gave it some paint. We're going with Behr Textured DeckOver in Atlantic Blue. The reviews of this paint aren't so hot but I think it'll work fine inside the van as the floor will spend most of it's time covered in carpet.
Here's the back of a panel with the first coat.
floorblue.jpg

We played around with a Condor wheel chock and my XR400 to get a good placement inside the van with a pair of seats installed. I'll update with pics once it's all back together.

Last edited:

Gat

Another nice weekend spent working on the van. This time I tackled the electrical items I've had sitting around for a few months.

I added :
- power distribution box at the rear (mounted behind the jack mount)
- USB charging ports mid way back on the drivers side (these will be next to the bed when it is installed to charge phones, etc)
- momentary switch hooked to a volt meter so I can check battery voltage from the rear of the van
- Red LED lights in the ceiling for fun
- White LED lights
- two way switch mounted in the passenger side rear door that works the red and white LED's
- re-wired my driving lights to a new dash switch
- added a LED rear light under the bumper (wired to a dash switch)

Some pics are below.

I'll be giving it a shakedown run this weekend with the dirt bikes loaded. After that it's time to plan some camping trips!

elec4.jpg

elec3.jpg

elec2.jpg

elec1.jpg

Last edited:

Gat

Looking good. What did you make the door panels out of and whats the covering?

Thanks! The panels are 1/4" luan covered in grey felt. I used 3M spray adhesive to attached the felt to the door panels. I've noticed some of the felt seems a little loose but that's what I get for using an old can of adhesive.

WVI

Adventurer
Thanks. I have some old flat factory door panels I'm going to redo. This may be a good option to vinyl.

Gat

I put about 1000 miles on the van this weekend and everything went great. We hauled the dirt bikes inside as well as a "Trailer in a Bag" and still had room for 4 people and gear.

On the way back to Michigan I picked up a BMW that had been in "holding" and is now legal in the US ;)

I love the convenience and security of the van. It makes long distance travel much easier as well.

loaded.jpg

pickup.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94