2013 F450 Lance Camper Utility Bed Build

racer3822

Observer
So after a LONG time lurking and checking out other builds I decided to do one of my own. I have a Lance 992 camper that I have been using on the back of a 2006 F250 for the last 8 years or so. I've always wanted more storage space (even afterI built the aluminum box on top!) and after highly considering saving some money and doing a flatbed build like boblynch's (http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23173-F550-Flatbed-Build), I decided to do a utility bed. It's more money but in the end I think will be what I'm looking for long term.

I just started it, but the bed will be the first to go on in about 6 weeks.

I find myself on highway 90% of the time, and 10% of the time off-road. The problem is when I do go offroad, its not just fire roads always. I enjoy bird hunting and have taken the camper off to go through some narly stuff, and leave the camper on when I'm on milder terrain. I have gotten stuck a few times. I travel alot during the winter months and often times go down snow covered back roads too. I wanted a rig that was capable the 10% of the time I'm offroad.
20160123_122438 (1024x576).jpg
20160123_144313 (1024x266).jpg

CURRENT VEHICLE:
20160307_110314 (576x1024).jpg
P9120066.jpg

The F250 truck was great when I was using it as a daily driver and a camper, but in the later mileage I've moved it to strictly RV use. It has 19.5 285 tires, redone spring pack in the rear, custom 1.5" sway bar added, rancho 9500xl adustable shocks, 50 gallon fuel tank among alot of other things. With all of that it handles really well, but there's still no substitute for a wider wheel base and I'm limited to add anymore weight by the weight rating of the axle too.

THE NEW TRUCK:
I found a used 2013 F450 Chassis cab with the bed removed that I purchased.
20160426183855-98201578-df3e-434d-a6e9-266fc33aadc2.jpg

Truck upgrades I'm looking at:
1) Doubling fuel capacity with replacement rear tank and auxiliary front tank.
2) Adding front camera and expanding the ford Sync system with the Lock Pick.
3) Tire upgrade. This is where I have some decisions to make because on my F250 I am currently running Rickson 19.5" - 7.5" rims with 285 tires, they're about 35.5" tall. I really like the ride on the larger tires. No lift needed. I haven't made a decision yet. Currently the F450 has a 19.5" - 6" wide rims which won't take larger tires. They are 10 lug x 225mm and I can't find rims that are available to upgrade to with the dually.
4) Maybe a front bumper with winch.
5) Possible new leaf springs in the back or air bags. Will have to weigh it when I'm done with the bed.
6) On board air
7) 1.5" new rear sway bar
8) Front 2" slide hitch

The toughest decision I have right now is the tire upgrade.

Option 3a) DRW to SRW conversion with Rickson custom wheels and 285.
Pros: Can configure the tires to be in the same track line. Don't have to worry about rocks between dually. 2 less tires to purchase. The load capacity of to 265 19.5" tires will hold anything I will put on them.
Cons: No redundancy if there is a blow out on the road to be able to limp to a better place to fix the tire. Blow in rear around the corner without DRW means even more loss of control and considering camper center of gravity is high this is important. Disc brakes are more exposed to damage.

Option 3b) Upgrade my 6" 19.5" rims right now to 7.5" wide and put the 285 tires all the way around.
Pros: Redundancy on the rear dually. More float in sand.
Cons: Can't find an aluminum 19.5" rim that is 7.5" for the ford 10 lug! Only option I've found is to buy adapters.

Option 3c) Purchase MRT81's 41" tires and go DRW to SRW conversion.
Pros: Same as 3a, plus having a huge tire you can air down.
Cons: Same as 3a, 68 MPH speed limit, faster tire wear, more weight, possible less stopping distance, lift in the front required.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do on the tires, any input is welcome. I've read so many threads on it already. I haven't made my mind up, although on a whim I purchased 4 more 285 tires from another member selling them for dirt cheap on this forum so if I wanted to add the 2 tires that decision doesn't cost anything more for the tires as I'd have them already. If I don't use them I can sell or give them to my brother as it looks like he's going to buy my F250.

Some of my sources for research:
Obviously Bob's thread where he already debated it: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23173-F550-Flatbed-Build
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/15315-Earthroamer-new-tire-wheel-suspension
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/12606-Earthroamer-Tires
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/12380-SRW-Conversion-Questions

Here's the camper on the back just on blocks to get an idea of the dimensions.
20160609_174730 (1024x576).jpg

THE BED:
I had a few different utility bed manufacturers to choose from, but in the end it came down between Douglass in Bakersfield, CA which is more local and Valley Truck in Washington which is quite a drive for me. In the end I went with Valley Truck as I really liked their aluminum construction and the owner Chad was really helpful in talking all my ideas over with me.

Here's a photo of another camper utility bed they did:
dreweincamperbed3.jpg
dwg2.jpg
dwg.jpg

Bed Upgrades:
1) Custom drawers, still TBD. The front cabinet is getting a set and I'm trying to incorporate some in other places.
2) Rear winch. Usually when I get stuck I desire to go back where I came from. Ended up going with the superwinch 18k lb with synthetic line. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPW-1618201
3) Rear spare tire carrier very much like Bob's build, except off to the left of the camper door.
4) Inside compartment lighting.
5) Flip up goose neck just for a what if moment of towing another's trailer.

The base of the utility bed is mostly finished and the final details will be done when I drive the truck and camper up to Washington and leave it with him for a month. The distance has been a bit of a challenge but we've been using technology and 3d modeling to assist.

THE CAMPER:
I currently own a 992 camper that is very heavy having dual slides. I love it though and it gets alot of use. The slides enable me to live comfortably in it during the winter months were you may not be hanging outside as much. Unlike many, I do ALOT of winter camping. Maybe more so than summer. I enjoy the ski slopes and love to travel with the camper rather than staying in condos.
20160123_145032 (1024x576).jpg

I'm open to suggestions to my build, I really need to figure out a solution for the tire upgrade right now, so any information I might have missed in my searches will be helpful. I really have enjoyed reading all the community here, so I'm happy to have this my first thread started to move from my lurker status, lol.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
I don't own any, but there has been some bad press on here concerning Rickson wheels and their failure by a few forum members. Do your due diligence before purchasing such a key safety item like wheels especially in SRW application.

racer3822

Observer
I don't own any, but there has been some bad press on here concerning Rickson wheels and their failure by a few forum members. Do your due diligence before purchasing such a key safety item like wheels especially in SRW application.

Yeah, I have seen that and it has weighed heavily on my decision as well. Wheels coming apart at bad welds. Was looking at Stockton Wheel and Hutchinson Inc. too. That's another reason I like dually. Two is one and one is none.

Darwin

Explorer
Also there is 1st attack and Stazworks for singles. You're right though, with a blow out, probably safer with a dually.

racer3822

Observer
Funny thing is the 285 tires I purchased were from Bruce who had the failure with Rickson. I didn't realize it until they showed up and one was still mounted on the wheel that actually failed.

I'm having a hard time finding people outside of Rickson who have experience making the 19.5 x 7.5" wide rim, in the 10 lug x 225mm bolt pattern the ford is. I've called a few and left messages but only quote I got back was looking for all kinds of measurements from me on it, didn't seem like they've done it before.

Right now my research has shown for the duallys:
Rickson - Not going to buy their stufff
Hutchinson - Very expensive
Les Schwab - Requested quote and waiting to hear back. Didn't know anything at first call. They apparently buy the wheels from a wholesale company in Hasco, Washington.
Wheels Now Inc. - $450 each plus freight. Wanted all the measurements of the existing rims with tires unmounted and stuff.
Stockton Wheel - Heard similar complaints as with Rickson. I called and left a message and emailed.

Thanks for the referral for 1st Attack and Stazworks. I'll hit them up to see what they say on the singles. At this point just to use my 19.5x285 tires I'm going to have to spend at least $2500 just for steel wheels! I almost would rather just spend the money on the MRT81's at that price and go super singles.

On a different note I did construct a very simple frame to support and anchor the camper when I take it to the Utiltiy bed manufacturer and have some other work done.
20160706_120410 (1024x576).jpg

Last edited:

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Couple thoughts here, I may be way out of my league though so take this with a grain of salt.

Whats keeping you in a 19.5" wheel? It seems like you cant make up your mind between the safety of a drw and the huge tire/air down ability of a srw. Why not consider different wheel sizes(srw or drw) that might give you more width and thus tire options.

Maybe its different with the baby-semi-truck .5 wheels and tires since they have that funky angled bead but is there really going to be a difference between 265 and 285? Are the sidewalls so stiff that 10mm on either side will cause the tire to be literally unmountable on the wheel and undrive-able safely? Seems unlikely but who am I to say!

Final thought, does Alcoa even exist anymore?

racer3822

Observer
Couple thoughts here, I may be way out of my league though so take this with a grain of salt.

Whats keeping you in a 19.5" wheel? It seems like you cant make up your mind between the safety of a drw and the huge tire/air down ability of a srw. Why not consider different wheel sizes(srw or drw) that might give you more width and thus tire options.

Maybe its different with the baby-semi-truck .5 wheels and tires since they have that funky angled bead but is there really going to be a difference between 265 and 285? Are the sidewalls so stiff that 10mm on either side will cause the tire to be literally unmountable on the wheel and undrive-able safely? Seems unlikely but who am I to say!

Final thought, does Alcoa even exist anymore?

I ran 265 on 19.5 my first time around, then 285 after those wore out. There is a difference as the 285's require less air per the inflation chart and ride smoother offroad and on. I noticed a difference especially on the fire roads that are worn with those ripples from travel.

As far as your question about the .5 baby-semi-truck wheels, I think you have a good point that really got me thinking. I should be considering the option of going to normal non .5" tires too. The original reason I wanted to stay with the 285 19.5 is I have nearly $4k in tires here that I was trying to use. However if I got a normal tire and it had a Load E rating that would give me around 14,600 on the rear axle with 4 of them. I think you're right and it's an option I should consider even though I will have to buy new tires. It would also allow me to air down a little more and would be serviceable by more tire shops.

I did do a quick search for dually tires on non .5" rim that had a bolt pattern 10 lug - 225mm and am not finding too many either!

Plywoody

Utility bed looks great. Considering same in the semi-near future. Would you mind sharing a ballpark budget and timeline on the bed build?
Thanks,
Mike

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Duallies are the ideal hardsided camper hauler. Extremely stable compared to srw.
Looking good! The F-450's have enormous brakes too.

Copperhead14

Observer
For your wheel situation talk to 1st attack. A couple look volunteer fire depts have brush trucks with the single, they are heavy duty.

racer3822

Observer
Just got back this week from our Canadian Road trip. We were gone most of August with no internet in the Canadian Rockies.

The truck went up to Valley Truck in early July but we ran into some problems with the way the Lance Camper has what we thought were trim pieces but turned out to be structural. I ended up taking a rental car up to Washington one way with my fiance and 2 dogs and pickup the camper for the road trip. I just kept it on the temporary frame I made for transport and added a sheet of plywood to hold some gear and act as a fender if it rained.

IMG_4669 (Medium).JPG

Utility bed looks great. Considering same in the semi-near future. Would you mind sharing a ballpark budget and timeline on the bed build?
Thanks,
Mike

Right now the build for the aluminum body is going to cost around $20k. It is way outside of budget of what I was considering, but in the end I'm hoping to have this setup for the next 10 years so I justified it. Build time is about 3 weeks when started, backlog was a couple months. If you go with a steel setup it will be a couple grand less for sure, but I really like the aluminum body more. It's lighter and it won't rust.

Mine is on the smaller side, but I'm trying to keep the setup as short as possible. Right now total length bumper to bumper with truck is 24'.

bed.jpg

Besides the truck body build, I made a small amount of progress in other areas
1) Installed Lockpick on the F450 sync radio to enable camera inputs and wired the rear camera of the camper up.
2) Got the drawer installed above the bumper on the lance.
3) Installed an aftermarket 50 gallon aft fuel tank and 27 gallon auxiliary diesel tank. Comes in real handy for long trips. Would have got more but the DEF tank is in the worst spot!

Right now I'm back to trying to decide which tire setup to go with. Since I do much of my driving on the highway, sometimes in Utah through 80MPH speed zones, the Continental MPT81 isn't really an option for me as it has 68 MPH limit and other members report it doesn't wear well even at that speed. I made several more calls trying to track down someone who can make my rim.

Stockton Wheel - Finally got someone on the line but again wasn't impressed. I was looking for some information and knowledge but basically got, "tell me the size and backspacing and I will make you a rim." Thats all they have now I guess.

Did find from another post that with the 285/70R19.5 tire an offset of 5.75 will give you about 1" unloaded between the tire.

Stazworks http://stazworks.com/ - I really liked the guy I talked to there. He seems to deal often with expedition rigs and knows alot about my particular truck and the challenges with the front disc brakes and size. He said he'd find a way to get me duallys to fit the 285/70R19.5 tires I have but also pitched the singles option. I brought up my concerns with the speed ratings and he recommended a newish tire Goodyear has, the G275 that has a speed rating of 81 with similar weight capacities.

He has a nice looking wheel too: 13398772_1614040868911470_1182495522_n.jpg

With the higher speeds possible on the G275 I'm now considering a 20" rim with singles. IT is a 41.5" high tire though and I have concerns with clearancing with the F450. Found some recent builds that are using it that have reported it handles really well on the road:
http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f26/nitro-gear-axle-2004-ford-f450-4x4-motorhome-489058/
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/141578-F550-Surf-Camper-Build-Adrift-in-the-Green-Room
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143852-Dodge-Ram-5500-motorhome

This option would allow me to air down the tire when offroading and I think in the end would give me a better ride. With duals 285 tires I think it maybe too bumpy even at 80psi. I think I can run bead locks on it too, but would that be overkill?

I went on bushwacker's site and it doesn't seem like they make a cutaway flare for my year truck model either. Will have to call them later.

Thanks for everyone's help, seems like slow progress but at least I have the camper where I can still go out and use it.

Last edited:

racer3822

Observer
The truck bed is built and installed on the truck. Been finishing off some wiring and camera installs the last month.

Been lacking in updates, but I have some time tonight and wanted to post pics of the build.

Here is the sub structure for what will go under the rear overhang of the Lance. Went with 7 slide hitches for various mountings and winching points.
Resized_20161018_145224.jpg
Resized952016101895145303.jpg

With the cover over the sub structure so it can be stepped on when the camper is off. I also mounted the winch in between the substructure for the slide hitch.
Resized_20161110_150619.jpg

Compartment doors, double wall:
Resized_20161110_144053.jpg

Built in toolbox:
Resized_20161116_093013.jpg

The bed in its aluminum form before paint and after:
Resized952016101895150421.jpg
Resized952016101895150637.jpg
Resized952016111695092633.jpg

Large deep cycle battery to power the onboard inverter for power tools and add to the camper capacity. The goal is no loud generator, even for microwave use.
Resized952016111695092700.jpg

The truck already went out for its maiden voyage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier