National Parks: WA, OR, CA, NV, AZ, UT, WY, MT, ID

2000m2

Observer
Day 17: up eastern Utah

After a restful evening in our mobile home VRBO, we packed up and headed north through the eastern side of Utah. We opted for highway 191 to cover some ground.
173.jpg

That is until we came to a complete stop a little south of Wellington due to an accident. Noticing a dirt road nearby, I decided to check it out after the GPS showed we could get through. We eventually encountered another couple in a Cadillac coming the opposite direction who informed us they were not able to get through because of some railroad tracks. They looked at our truck and said we should be just fine. We never found the railroad tracks because we found another smaller dirt road/path that went back to the main highway. After opening a barbed wire gate, driving through, and then closing it, we were back on our way north on 191.
174.jpg

We stopped for lunch in Helper, Utah and left with enough leftovers for dinner. Win.
We continued north on 191 through Ashley National Forest where we stopped for a short hike.
175.jpg 178.jpg

After stretching our legs, we continued north to our camp site at Mustang Ridge Campground in Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. We found our camp site and then took a walk down to the river. Getting down there wasn't the easiest thing to do, but we found a route down some boulders and I was able to dip my head in the river.
179.jpg 181.jpg

The campground is very nice and even has showers. We setup our tent, at some dinner, grabbed a shower and read a bit.
182.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wow great trip! We are sort of hitting the same parks but one a summer we spent 6 days in Yellowstone this summer. Oh and I lost a bag of dog food by breaking my rear window rule.. I didn't close it via truck key at the hatch during my final walk around. Thank goodness it hit me about a mile down the road. Could have been far worse. Yes agreed it needs a dash indicator. We have have the jumbo 4Runner aka 1st gen Sequoia.
We learned the dog thing a few yrs ago. So NP trips we board him with a friend that just moved to a larger property to build a great boarding facility in Newcastle just off 80. Given your in the Bay Area ping me if you want more details. We're in the Walnut Creek area. We take the dog on local camp trips often with more options in some cases for the dog to tag along vs the NP

Last edited:

2000m2

Observer
A trip that will be remembered for a very long time, what part of Seattle you from?

Thanks, we still talk about the trip frequently. We were in the Greenlake area, mostly, for the 6 years we lived in Seattle.

Wow great trip! We are sort of hitting the same parks but one a summer we spent 6 days in Yellowstone this summer. Oh and I lost a bag of dog food by breaking my rear window rule.. I didn't close it via truck key at the hatch during my final walk around. Thank goodness it hit me about a mile down the road. Could have been far worse. Yes agreed it needs a dash indicator. We have have the jumbo 4Runner aka 1st gen Sequoia.
We learned the dog thing a few yrs ago. So NP trips we board him with a friend that just moved to a larger property to build a great boarding facility in Newcastle just off 80. Given your in the Bay Area ping me if you want more details. We're in the Walnut Creek area. We take the dog on local camp trips often with more options in some cases for the dog to tag along vs the NP

Thanks! That could be helpful, drop the dogs off on the way out of town. After the big move, I think we've finally settled in to the new place where we can get back to doing some camping. We're looking forward to exploring the area some more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94