Ultimate Adventure Rider Jacket

Scott Brady

Founder
To continue these great discussions...

I am thinking in two directions here, both a summer jacket and a winter/extreme weather jacket.

So, no limit to cost, what is the ultimate adventure jacket for summer and winter?

This Cortech Accelerator looks pretty sweet:
h_z112_black_black.jpg

toyrunner95

Explorer
i have never ridden, but i plan on it soon, so i as well have been doing research. from what i have heard, you cant wear enough clothes. people have been telling me that it gets cold no matter what, most jackets are fairly rain proof, but the wind gets to the bones.

here are my thoughts ( if they are worth anything. i dont know) try to find a jacket with a liner, this will help keep you warmer when you need it. also i am not sure that the bladder is a good idea. i actually plan on carrying a backpack anywhere i ride. mainly because it will give me somewhere to put the liner and other things. my osprey switch 25+5 has an incorperated bladder system. it is a great way to go. you may also think about putting the bladder under the tank bag, or in a tank pannier. just my thoughts.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
My personal gear (Fox Panther jacket & pants) is lighter than a lot of the touring gear out there and probably more MX oriented but it works great for me.

If I were rich I'd get the Spidi Ergo gear. Tailored and super versatile.

d36_b.jpg

u36_b.jpg

Spidi Ergo Fabric Jacket
  • Available in two separate tailored size runs, Standard and Robust, the Ergo offers a total of 13 different sizes
  • Tailored in the looser "American" cut
  • Spidi's exclusive H2OUT system
  • 100% waterproof and breathable
  • Zipper is fully sealed from the elements and will not allow wind or water to penetrate the jacket
  • Spidi's high-end 3 layer garment system: A breathable and 100% waterproof layer and a windproof cold weather liner can be separated from and combined with the outer jacket as needed depending on riding conditions
  • The waterproof liner is designed and styled in such a way that it can be worn as a separate jacket itself when a lightweight but waterproof jacket is needed
  • The provided pleated liner can be used to create a mid-weight jacket when it's a bit frosty outside
  • Features both 100% waterproof pockets and breathable pockets
  • Some pockets are removable when a less bulky jacket is needed
  • A total of ten pockets and two pouches are designed into the jacket
  • Complete with CE certified Spidi Warrior back protector
  • Spidi's exclusive CE certified Biomechanic shoulder and elbow guards (the industry's highest rated protection system)
  • Straps to reduce sleeve and waist/chest bulk thus reducing wind flap noise
  • Jacket can be zipped onto Spidi Ergo Pant (sold separately) to make a one piece suit with all the same protective and product features as the jacket
  • Micrometric adjustable positive neck closure system adapts to multi layers without using velcro
  • Vents can be opened during warmer rides
  • Reflective Reflex piping for safety

This might be of interest to you if you've got the time for a 15 page read.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I swear by MOOSE Racing products, they 100% function before fashion.

I wanted a jacket i could use year round, and think i have found the perfect solution!

I use/swear by their XCR Riding Jacket for a few reasons

-Ultra Durable Material
-Six LARGE Pockets
-Large, full size but not obnoxious reflective stripe
-Headphone hole
-Furry neck collar (this is a huge +, that is a MUST with a riding jacket)
-Padding where ya need it
-Crashed probably 1/2 dozen times or so and it still looks new
-My favorite feature if the HUGE venting system that works amazingly well. 95% of the rides we do start very early AM when it colds and mid day it warms out considerably, the vents help out huge and are complete front AND rear

The exact model i have is a few years old and i specifically hunted down the older model because of the reflective stripe and bigger pockets. I absolutely, LOVE this jacket!

I have ridden in below zero temps with just a fleece underneath and been plenty warm!

Here is a picture of a VERY sexy model posing with one on the US/Mexico border:

IMG_1256_2.jpg

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
My clown outfit includes an Olympia AST jacket in hi-viz yellow which requires everyone in the vicinity to wear welding goggles. The biggest plus for me is the waterproof outer shell which means I don't have to undress in the rain to zip in a liner.

The neck is a little funky and its hard to get anything out of the pockets while wearing gloves but otherwise I like it.

Cheers,
Graham

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
gearguywb said:
BMW's Rallye2 stuff is pretty cool. Lots of vents and removable armor and goretex liner.

I haven't worn my Rally II Pro stuff out in the heat yet (well, not in the dirt anyway). My gut feeling is that it's gonna be HOT. The sleeves do zip off (the armor stays with the mesh lining), so that would help, but you do lose the abrasion resistance (read: road rash on your arms). The gear is pretty darn heavy too....much heavier than traditional knee pads/riding pants/roost deflector/jersey.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Find what fits. I went with full Aerostitch Darien goretex when I first got into it, but found that the fully waterproof stuff was just too hot unless I was commuting in Flagstaff at 20 degrees...ended up selling the jacket a while back.

I really like the way BMW gear fits, and the versatility. I've currently got a Savannah Jacket and Rally 1 Jacket, along with Rally Pants and, for commuting, the BMW Summer Pant. Love 'em all. The abuse these things put up with is amazing, and the ability to add the goretex liner for wind/water resistance is nice. Note that with the Rally jacket, the vest is really meant to be worn with an armored suit underneath, as the jacket armor doesn't fit tightly enough in the mesh to be worn without the sleeves.

BTW...KTM does make a nice Rally Vest....in black and orange...

I've still got a set of AS Darien pants, which I keep around for winter...but really rarely wear.

I also use a heated vest (Aerostitch Kanetsu) and Cooling vest, depending upon temperature. Heated gear is a lifesaver.

-H-

You've gotta try stuff on to get a feel for each manufacturer's fit. The Euro sizing is interesting, too.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
I don't have an adventure-type bike (yet... ) so all my gear is for the street, and mainly geared toward touring.
I have the Aerostitch Darien and like it for the most part. I don't think I'd like it as much if I lived in Arizona though! It's good for 3 seasons and a good portion of the summer here. I like the design, lots of pockets, it's waterproof, nice fleece liners available that zip in. I don't like the collar too much, though I see they've finally backed it with ultrasuede like the Roadcrafter. That would help. It's also pretty baggy when the liner isn't in. I wish it was vented a bit better.
I also have the darien pants but have a hard time making myself wear them unless it's going to rain or it's cold. I like the stitch stuff a lot, it's very well made, but it's not perfect.
When it's real hot I have the BMW Venting Machine jacket. It's a really nice jacket. It would work a lot better on a bike that doesn't have a giant barn door for a fairing like mine does.
I like BMW's gear a lot, it's expensive but it's nice. I think most if not all of it is made overseas, if that matters to you.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
You will be hard pressed to find anyone with a bad thing to say about Motoport. Custom fit, highest quality, with more options then anyone. Best of all...... Made in the USA.

ThomD

Explorer
No one jacket can do it all. You can't be comfortable at 30 degrees and 90 degrees in the same jacket. Or the same pants.

I've decided that I don't like pockets. Hard objects in pockets increase the risk of injury.

To the poster who said that you have to be cold - nope. I can ride at 30 degrees and be no more than cool. Heated liner, balaclava, hippo hands. These little things make a big difference.

For hot days, I have the motoport pants and jackets. Lots of armor, kevlar outer layer and infinite venting. I can't wear them below about 75 degrees because they are too cold on the bike. :)

For cooler weather (or rain), I have the RevIt Cayenne (or some such silly name) and the First Gear HT over pants. The jacket is good, but not great (too bulky, poor venting). The overpants are very good - quilted liner, waterproof, fairly comfy.

I had the Aerostitch, but did not like the one piece suit. I like being able to take off the jacket and leave the pants on for casual walking around. Also, the Aerostitch was always too hot or too cold - it had a very narrow comfy temp range.

I wear my gear everyday, rain or shine, for my 45 miles of commuting, so it gets a lot of use.

Oh, before I had the motoport jacket I had a Cortech GX Air - nice for the price, but it didn't come in a small enough size to fit me quite right.

glnn313

acerbis has great jackets.the sleeves zip off,they are vented.the will accept you hydration pack right into the back of the jacket.they also have winter liners that just zip in/out.the also have armor that will zip into the jacket as well.try this place MX1WEST they are a distributor.they have a nice black/orange to fit with the 950.i have been running my jacket for about 7 yrs and have taken some serious tumbles,not even a tear.if you get one get the longest one avaliable.http://www.mx1west.com/ProductImages/imp07jkt/0009333.010_100.jpg $130 then i think you will have to add the liner seperate $20.you want the impact not the profile.

Last edited:

Blair G

Adventurer
I have the first gear stuff. The Kilimanjaro jacket and pants. It has a sweater liner that zips in and out.I also have a summer jacket that is mesh with armor that I wear with jeans and boots. It is the typical BMW costume that everybody wears.
The next time I might go with the Aerostich to be able to have a custom setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94