Defender 90 Build Thread

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Yeah what he said I got no visual movement of cable while in motion at speed, nor did I get vibration in cable at speed (with fingers on cable end).

sheep_dog

Observer
First off what is the running gear? lol. To completely assure that it is in fact the cable, do I need to remove the speedo cable from the gear box and attempt spinning it from there while having someone watch the cable on the gauge end?

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Use the books to figure out how the parts are connected.

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/

That should get you started. Most are online.

And wash and wax that thing! You will be amazed. Always nicer to work on a clean truck, you can see if there are body corrosion issues developing, and it will make it worth 2K more, lol.

sheep_dog

Observer
So even with the broken speedo needing repair and the wheel bearings needing to be change (I have the parts) I still somehow find the time and money for more exciting mods! I put mantec sliders on the rig. I'm a firm believer in sliders, especially seeing how I will be speeding most of my time in the Tahoe area. Another fun mod is DiscoDavis and I bought hammocks and now suspended them between the Rovers. We decided hammocks would be a great alternative sleeping option on overland trips. Whether its an extra nice night out, the terrain is not tent friendly, or we arrive to camp to late, and don't feel like setting up tents.

Here is me testing out my new hammock. I feel like Ive been missing out my entire life now!

So even with the broken speedo needing repair and the wheel bearings needing to be change (I have the parts) I still somehow find the time and money for more exciting mods! I put mantec sliders on the rig. I'm a firm believer in sliders, especially seeing how I will be speeding most of my time in the Tahoe area. Another fun mod is DiscoDavis and I bought hammocks and now suspended them between the Rovers. We decided hammocks would be a great alternative sleeping option on overland trips. Whether its an extra nice night out, the terrain is not tent friendly, or we arrive to camp to late, and don't feel like setting up tents.

Here is me testing out my new hammock. I feel like Ive been missing out my entire life now!

I felt the same thing the first time I strapped the hammock to my Landy....hammock life is like no other unless you do hammock life tied to a Landy.

Recognizable poncho liner as well......hammock and Ranger roll is all a man ever needs to survive!

sheep_dog

Observer
Haha Victory_Overland you hit the nail on the head with that one. I don't know how many countless nights my poncho liner has brought me comfort! Have you seen that the newer pochco liners have zippers on them? It might just be the best thing since slice bread IMHO.

Haha Victory_Overland you hit the nail on the head with that one. I don't know how many countless nights my poncho liner has brought me comfort! Have you seen that the newer pochco liners have zippers on them? It might just be the best thing since slice bread IMHO.

Dude, no joke. I modified one years ago with a velcro set up when I did my ruck modifications and last year I go in and grab some new kit and see this sweet as linder with a zipper. All I can think is......bout fn time. Bivy, tarp and liner is all a man ever needs to roll to get their gun on. I keep a set up in my Rover now and my lady loves it..hahaha

sheep_dog

Observer
I feel that. The only bad experience I had with a pocho liner is when I was a boot. We where in the dessert and I thought I would slick by just bringing the liner and tarp no bivy... Needless to say the winds picked up so I put the tarp over me and I woke up soaking wet... Every one laughed at me hahaha

I feel that. The only bad experience I had with a pocho liner is when I was a boot. We where in the dessert and I thought I would slick by just bringing the liner and tarp no bivy... Needless to say the winds picked up so I put the tarp over me and I woke up soaking wet... Every one laughed at me hahaha

Hahaha. Yeah man, never leave home without your bivvy......NEVER! But that's why we all start as a boot at sometime. And we will always be boot to someone.

sheep_dog

Observer
I figured that since I spend so much money on the Defender I might as well put it to work. I've discovered that it works great for hauling fire wood and hay around my property. The hay test was a good test, since it weighed around 200Lbs. I didn't see much, if any sag in the rear. I now have two expensive items in the works for the Defender, one which I am picking up today! :wings:

Aside from being designed to explore, the Defender is also a work truck. So here is some pictures of it earning its keep.

sheep_dog

Observer
Since the Defender has been working hard to earn its keep, I decided to reward it with a new engine! Yesterday I drove seven hours to pick up the new 200TDI. This morning I got it unloaded and up onto a engine stand. I don't have any immediate plans to put the motor in. I'm guessing it will be sometime early next year. But before I drop the motor in, I am going to completely rebuild it.

No need for a stinking engine hoist when you have a tractor!

sheep_dog

Observer
Oh yes it is in need of some serious love. The motor was originally a Disco motor, but the intake was switched for a Defender one. The layer of grease, as annoying as it may be to clean off, probably did the motor a service protecting it from the elements. The engine was on a rolling frame stored under a tarp. Now it lives inside the warm garage.:) El Solis, your story is one of the reasons I'm being attempting to be patient. I don't think I can emphasize attempting enough...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles