Defender 90 Build Thread

sheep_dog

Observer
Hello everyone, I just purchased a 1987 ROW Defender 90 this past Wednesday, and have big plans for it! After many years of wanting a Defender and constant nagging from DiscoDavis I finally pulled the trigger on one. I am sure happy I did. The truck runs strong and has almost no rust, but the 2.5 na is sluggish and needs to be replaced with a 200 TDI. The end goal of this truck is to build a capable vehicle for camping and overlanding. Before I start buying all the fun additions I have a growing list of things to be done... this list seems to grow by the day. The list so far: Stretch the soft top so it will fit (I have already stretched it about 2" but need about 1.5" more), wheel bearings and seals, replace the brittle dash, and fix the temp and fuel gauge. I have some parts coming in the mail already to fix some other small issues.:wings:

Here is the Defender on its way to its new home.

And some poser shots of the Defender driving around on my property.

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Took ya a few years ;) (Credit where credit is due, this is the guy that got me into Land Rovers, told me what the Camel Trophy was etc.)

Only picture I've got of yours so far... the folks can guess the origins of this world-traveling 90.

27988459876_03a0eac5ca_b.jpg

Last edited:

sheep_dog

Observer
Today was a successful day for the defender and a huge relief for me. I was able to get the turn signals working and the temp and fuel gauges back online. Not having a working fuel gauge is always hair raising when driving around. DiscoDavis came on over to help me out, but I already had all the planned projects for the day complected. To say the least DiscoDavis helped me clean the inside, I must say the dash is rather clean. In return he got to take the defender for a spin.

Last edited:

El Solis

Adventurer
Sheep_dog I presume you will be joining the Northern Cal Land Rover club now correct? some of us roll ROW Defenders and can help with the mods. I'm sure DiscoDavis has already pestered you.

sheep_dog

Observer
You Sir, are presuming correctly. I must say "pestered" is a polite way of DiscoDavis club recruitment towards me. ;) haha! But in all seriousness I am extremely thrilled to join the club and be part of the Land Rover community. All help is appreciated and will always be rewarded with a cold beer :beer:

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I'm curious. If you're swapping engines, why a 200tdi instead of a 300tdi? Parts availability is better with the 300tdi.

sheep_dog

Observer
Tiktaalik, I decided to go with the 200 tdi because from what i read it has no electronics and is a very simple and reliable engine. It also helps that I'm picking one up that I got a sweet deal on!

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
A sweet deal is certainly a good reason! Is it a reconditioned engine? How many miles? The 200 and 300tdi are very similar with some subtle but important differences. Parts availability bring one of them. Also slightly more HP on the 300tdi. I have a 300tdi D90 that I have used as a daily driver for the past 8 years. I would go with refurbished 300tdi if I were you. If you're going to spend the time, effort and money to do a swap, do it properly.

El Solis

Adventurer
The 300 has more torque (like 50 more) as well but isn't a direct replacement for the 2.5TD. The 200Tdi will bolt in directly where the 300 needs the engine mounts moved. If I remember correctly there are 2 versions of the 300, one with electronics and one without (the earlier models). I haven't had an issue finding parts for my 200Tdi. Both would be a proper swap and in a 90 the 200 would have enough power but if you could manage a 300 it might be worth it. Will you be doing the swap yourself?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Sheepdog can comment on the specifics of the truck but as far as I understood it we've got the 97 smog cutoff for diesel and the 25 year rule for imports. That 90 was already registered in CA

And stay away from Solis's truck, he'll have you installing every neat gadget under the sun once you take a peek at that CT ;) I am positive the club will enjoy having another defender in the motor pool.

sheep_dog

Observer
The direct bolt in for the 200tdi is a major reason that I forgot to include. I will be doing the engine swap myself, and more than likely DiscoDavis with give me a hand with. As DiscoDAvis stated before the truck is pre-smog and registered in CA already. That was one of the huge factors that I took into account when purchasing the Defender vs an out of state truck. So far I have not had any trouble with finding parts for the Defender. I just ordered new wheel bearings for the truck from Paddock spares. I may have to wait a little extra for the parts, but that's a draw back I'm willing to deal with. IMHO its worth it for a Defender.

sheep_dog

Observer
Yesterday was a day full of small projects for the Defender. I restored the old nasty ash tray, which involved scraping layers of junk out of the tray, to say the least brake cleaner was my friend. I also made a aluminum plaque for a jacking instructions sticker that DiscoDavis so kindly gave me.I decided to mount it on the fuse box cover, so the sticker doesn't go to waste when I repaint the Defender. I also thought it was an appropriate spot next to the other instructions. And just because I really had nothing better to do, I pulled out of overland tool kit that I have been putting together, before I bought the Defender.

Here are some before and after pictures of the ash tray. The ash tray looked way worse than it does in the picture. I washed it before I decided to take a before and after picture.

The plaque I made came out just how I wanted it.

Last but not least, all the fancy gear I have already started accumulating.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94