Quadvan High Top Build

12xplore

Observer
I started this project over a year ago and posted once before but never did a build thread so here we go...

It started life as a 2014 E250 Ext cargo van. First photo is driving it off the lot.
After dropping it at 3 different vendors for various parts of the project I now consider it 95% complete. I am out of the country at the moment but it is currently at Quadvan in Portland for an Aluminess front bumper and Webasto heater install.

The 4wd conversion was done previously at Quadvan, the top was purchased from Fiberine in California and was installed by a shop in Portland who also did the paint job. The interior was completed by a friend who builds boat and yacht interiors. He had never worked on a van before but I was willing to give him the chance.

I'm just posting some random photos from the build process. Most are self explanatory but feel free to ask any questions!

Overall I'm very happy with the transformation. I designed the interior specifically for the way I intend to use the van. I wanted everything, including toys and any gear to fit inside for security and appearance. The raised bed platform is open at the rear and can fit virtually anything I want to bring along, including bicycles.

So, here it is...

V01.jpg
Profile1.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
Very nice, looks very clean and professional, you are lucky to have that friend.
I like the color scheme on the exterior too.

Sent from my Passport

silvrzuki77

explorer
Looks great! Any advice or what not on this top? Really considering going this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12xplore

Observer
I love the solid hardtop. I am often in wet and cold areas and the protection and warmth factor is why I chose it. Also no need to deal with drying wet canvas. While it will never be stealthy, the fact that it's not as obvious as a popped top while trying to blend in is something I considered as well.
The wind resistance probably cost me 1-2 mpg vs a pop up but the convenience of just being able to stand up inside anytime is a good tradeoff for me. I'm 6'2 and have about 4 inches clearance even with 2+ inches of insulation on the ceiling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

12xplore

Observer
Thanks for the nice comments. I'll post a few more interior picks when I get back to the states in a couple weeks. It has a closet/bathroom with bifold doors that allow me to block off the back area for privacy while still keeping the bathroom closed.

12xplore

Observer
Thanks. If I recall correctly the top was about $3400, and another 3 or 4 to ship it to Portland from LA. The people that did the install also did all the paint work so exact cost is a bit hard to nail but I believe it was only around $300 to cut out the roof, install the top and seal everything. Overall I'm very happy with how it all turned out.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
X2

In comparison to many boats, I'd think a van would be easy. They are much squarer and flatter.

Looks very good. I'd hit him up for some help it he was nearby.

kevman

Observer
:Wow1: Love it!

I think I saw in another post that it's the 5.4L? You mentioned the Fiberine top added a 1-2mpg hit - what kind of highway mileage are you getting? How far can you go on a tank?

How much lift and what size tires are you running? Also, do you happen to know how tall it is? I'm dreaming of a very similar build but want to keep it "garage-able". And by garage-able I mean a 10' door.

Finally I can't quite tell but do you have your transfer case lever on the floor beside the drivers chair? Does it not interfere with the swivel action?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior