Thread: Mercedes gearbox settings

Hi
    We have a 917af and this knob selects 4wd and the other diffs, defiantly not full time 4wd as on brake tester they do one axle a time.
    Good luck

Hi Ian
    This is what I thought. When mine is in 4wd the reduction is quite considerable so you would want to drive very far on tarmac in it.
    On a different note , we are going to the Adventure Overland Show in Stratford in September if you fancy it. It would be good to catch up.

Note for @uppercrust . it is prudent to activate all these selectors on a regular basis . If left for along time the mechanical part can seize and become too stiff for the pneumatic operation. Especially the diff locks

Neil
    Last edited by Neil; 07-14-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hi Ian
    This is what I thought. When mine is in 4wd the reduction is quite considerable so you would want to drive very far on tarmac in it.
    On a different note , we are going to the Adventure Overland Show in Stratford in September if you fancy it. It would be good to catch up.

Note for @uppercrust . it is prudent to activate all these selectors on a regular basis . If left for along time the mechanical part can seize and become too stiff for the pneumatic operation. Especially the diff locks

Neil
    Neil,
    I'm not sure yet if we will be able to go to the show. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

I also agree with the sticking pneumatic activators. My centre diff can be a ***** to disengage because I don't use it enough.

The small switches are obvious pneumatic locks for the diffs, transfer case and PTO(if equipped)
    I am unclear on the large knob. The manual only says it changes the transfer case, high?low, it has nothing about 2wd/4wd.
    So does it switch High/Low only or High/Low and at the same time 2wd/4wd. This would limit the vehicle to 4wd in low only.
    There are road conditions such as snow packed gravel where you might prefer 4wd high.
    Many times you also want low on asphalt(steep hills) and as long as the diffs are not locked it is not an issue.
    As for brake testing axles, with the center diff in neutral you can spin either axle independently.

My understanding was full time 4wd with high low transfer case, I would love to hear from someone who KNOWS the actual configuration.
    Last edited by Joe917; 08-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 917 AF

Ian ( canals 1164 ) does, he has the exact same vehicle.

How fast would you go in 4wd. Mine would do about 40mph, can't imagine being to go faster in 4wd

Neil

Ian ( canals 1164 ) does, he has the exact same vehicle.

How fast would you go in 4wd. Mine would do about 40mph, can't imagine being to go faster in 4wd

Neil
    I run mine in 4WD if I'm running on outback roads. The min I hit loose dirt on a fast straight road 4WD is in. Makes the drive positive.
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitec View Post
    I run mine in 4WD if I'm running on outback roads. The min I hit loose dirt on a fast straight road 4WD is in. Makes the drive positive.
    So do we know if yours is permenant 4 WD or 2 / 4 WD . your reply would imply you select 4wd when outback roads .

Good point about putting the transfer box in neutral for the brake test

Neil

image.jpg
    So do we know if yours is permenant 4 WD or 2 / 4 WD . your reply would imply you select 4wd when outback...
    Here's a pic of mine. Selectable 4x4 (left), Front Diff Lock (inner left), Rear diff lock (inner right), and High/Neutral/Low (outer right). The truck becomes more 'positive' on the dirt when in 4WD, and (I'm told) 4WD can be selected on the move as long as you're not in soft soil with different prop shaft speeds...
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

Hi Sitec

This is more elaborate than mine. Mine is the same as the original post at the start of this thread. Mine only has rear diff lock( seperate switch ) and selecting 4wd drops everything to a lower ratio. Interestingly my instruction are different when selecting 4 WD and diff lock. The manual states that the vehicle must be stationary when making these selections. Sounds like mine us a cruder version .
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sitec View Post
    image.jpg

Here's a pic of mine. Selectable 4x4 (left), Front Diff Lock (inner left), Rear diff lock (inner right), and High/Neutral/Low (outer right). The truck becomes more 'positive' on the dirt when in 4WD, and (I'm told) 4WD can be selected on the move as long as you're not in soft soil with different prop shaft speeds...
    Sitec,
    I'm only going on the decals over the switches but the one on the very left looks like the centre diff lock to me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast