Mercedes gearbox settings

Toby2

Observer
VIN number

Hi,

Apologies for the delay, have been juggling work. Have sent PM with VIN number. If you can pull up the details that would be great.

Thanks
Cheers Tobias

Neil

Observer
Joe

When I select the wavy line it selects 4 WD and lights up the centre diff ( transfer box ) symbol on the dash.

Neil

Joe917

Explorer
Neil
Is there a 4wd light and a center diff light or just a center diff light?
Is there not an independent diff lock switch to the high/low switch(wavy/straight)?
How do you know it selects 4wd? The center diff light does not indicate 2wd/4wd, it only indicates the center diff is locked. With the center diff unlocked the truck is still in 4wd but the power can be distributed freely between front and rear.
Joe.

Neil

Observer
Joe

Centre diff/ transfer box light only. As said before when the wavy line is selected on the pneumatic switch, this engages 4wd, lowers the ratio and lights the light.

I know it does this because I have turned the switch and it happened.

The handbook also tells me it will happen if I turn the switch.

Neil

Joe917

Explorer
Interesting. From the Mercedes manual:

3.4.2.3 Transfer case

The transfer case should only be engaged when the vehicle is at a standstill.

Shifting positions:
-Road position
-Neutral position
No power is transmitted from the transfer case to the live axles.
-Cross-country operation position
The cross-country gear of the transfer case is intended mainly for cross-country
operation and climbing of steep gradients When the lever is moved to the
cross-country gear a lower speed ratio is engaged.

That is all it does on my truck, engage high/neutral/low. There is no light associated with the switch. No 2wd/4wd.
The manual also refers to these trucks as all wheel drive vehicles.

part time nomad

Adventurer
Lots of folk don't understand 4x4 they think all 4 wheels drive at the same time! they do but not positively!
Easy way to test it is, jack up any 1 wheel, with no switches pressed try to drive away, if it is working correctly the wheel will spin and you don't move (open centre diff) next jack up 1 wheel on each axle and engage centre diff, now 2 wheels, 1 on each axle will spin, you still don't move. engage either axle diff lock and it will pull you off the jack.

Using this method you test the operation of the diffs and lockers.

Toby3

Hi,

Just closing the loop on this one, finally got it fixed, was an air problem although struggled with 4 different garages understanding 4x4 before got it sorted. Truck is permanent 4x4. Selector was High, Neutral, Low. Have separate switches for centre and rear diff locks and PTO is off a switch on the dash. In low truck goes up to about 40 mph, in high, about 60mph. Thanks for all the help

Cheers Toby

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I'm glad you have it working now.
According to the 'Operating Instructions' for the 1017,1217,1417,1617 (PN#380 584 01 96) that selector is for the VG500-3W transfer case.
If the truck is NOT equipped with differential lock(s) then in position 1, it is 2x4. When position 3 is selected you get 4x4 and low range
If the truck is equipped with differential lock(s) then in position 1, it is 4x4. When position 3 is selected you get low range.
Click to enlarge
VG500-3W-manual.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
I'm glad you have it working now.
According to the 'Operating Instructions' for the 1017,1217,1417,1617 (PN#380 584 01 96) that selector is for the VG500-3W transfer case.
If the truck is NOT equipped with differential lock(s) then in position 1, it is 2x4. When position 3 is selected you get 4x4 and low range
If the truck is equipped with differential lock(s) then in position 1, it is 4x4. When position 3 is selected you get low range.
Click to enlarge
View attachment 419862

Good info. Confirmation there are full time 4x4 and part time 4x4 variants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles