Yakima Bedrock rack for RTT

92unlimited

Hey guys I'm going to mount a RTT over the box of my ram 3500 but I'm trying to find a rack that keeps its relatively low and easy to remove as I still haul my 5th wheel regularly. I like the Bedrock by Yakima but I know their crossbar weight limit is only 164lbs which im far over that by myself. So my question is does anybody know if I can just get some thicker round metal bars from a local shop here cut to length and use those? will the bedrock allow them as the crossbars Yakima sells look just like regular round bars to me, and second will the actual bedrock mounts hold lets say 450 lbs? im open to anything else that might workl for my situation too so feel free to suggest something else if you don't think this would work. Thank you!

I use the Bedrock system on the bed of my 2014 F150, typically to carry 3 full suspension mountain bikes. Including the weight of the bike mounts, that's probably not too far off 150 pounds. The Yakima bars vibrate/flex enough that it catches my eye in the rear view mirror. Driving any significant distance on washboard, I've learned I need to check the bike mounts periodically, as the bolts that attach them to the bars will loosen.

If I were going to do an RTT, I'd want 3 or 4 crossbars, and loctite on the bolts mounting the tent (or some other way to prevent loosening mounts), but I think that would work fine.

saphteemon

I ordered them....I just ordered another pair to help better spread the load........to much deflection in just the the two bars....imho

EugeneTheTJ

Tar Heel
The 160ish pound rating is the dynamic rating not the static rating. If you were sleeping in it rolling down the road issues could arise. They will hold you just fine sitting there, though.

However, I tend to advocate for use of additional crossbars and mounts to help spread out the load better. My roof rack has 4 yakima bars and towers on each side and I will soon be adding a fifth. Load distribution is key.

Last edited:

aearles

Observer
The 86" wide Yakima roundbars have a thicker wall than any of the shorter bars, I'd consider using those and cutting them down to the appropriate length, but I agree more than two bars would help distribute the load and flex less. I'm running a hardshell RTT on top of a cap with four Yakima roundbars and it's really solid. I would also consider drilling your bed rails and installing the Yakima tracks instead of the BedRock, then you can quickly remove the towers/bars, or slide them all the way forward to clear your hitch but still carry them along or adapt for other uses... just something to think about, don't know how the cost compares.

Photo%20Jul%2018%2C%202%2050%2034%20PM.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior