First time Mexico

Eepagan

So, now that we have the vehicle and time the family is trying to go to Mexico for the first time. Does anyone know of any particular papers or considerations we need to take care of? We'll be driving through the baja region with a dog in tow. We may bring the camper as well. Does anyone buy the special travel insurance for the area? If so, how much does it usually cost? Also, lately we've been told we may need some sort of papers for the dog. Does anyone have experience bringing man's best friend across the border?

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Definitely want the Mexican insurance for your vehicle. Just google and Baja insurance and take your pick. They're all about the same in cost. If involved in an accident down there without it and you'll be up S*&^ creek. I've hauled my dog down there on numerous occasions and have never been asked for any kind of papers. Even when crossing back over the border to the states they never ask. To be on the safe side I'd just get a letter from your Vet showing all shots are current. They aren't real interested in dogs down there and treat theirs in the worst way. I always feel sad for the strays in Mexico but I'm a major sucker for dogs. Poor things are starving to death in most cases. Depending on where you're at and what time of the year you're going keep an eye on your dog concerning rattlesnakes. I've run across a few down there but my dog loves to poke his nose in every nook and cranny. Vet services are minimal, if at all, unless you're in one of the bigger towns. My pup is a small guy so if he got popped in some of the places I'm at I don't think he'd make it.

getout

Adventurer
We were just down in Mexico (Puerto Penasco...if that counts) for our first time a couple months ago. We made sure we had birth certificates for all the kids and our passports (with hard copies and digital copies of each). We also got the car insurance. We weren't asked for any of it on the way down but on the way back, the border patrol dog detected some 'extra bodies' in the back of our campervan. The officers were surprised when our four kids got out. Apparently the dog was not surprised. They flipped through the birth certificates and we were on our way.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Like said above, get the insurance. It's not that expensive and well worth it. Can be bought in most border towns. Bring birth certs and Passports. That's what I've always taken.

As for the dog, I have heard of some people having papers just in case they get questioned at the border. The BP doesn't care that much if you're bringing a dog back from Mex... Might not hurt to have it, however.

Stay Safe, don't travel at night and don't be a dumb american tourist and you'll have a blast.

dirtnadvil

Join Discover Baja, you can do the paperwork through them, buy insurance, order maps, etc. Ive been doing Baja for 40 years and Discover Baja is a good way to go for your first trip, 35 dollars a year or around that much. They know all the paperwork inside out.

harbinger808

Adventurer
I'll agree with everyone above, buy the insurance as its definitely needed if something goes wrong. We had 2 copies of passports and birth certificates for ourselves and 3/1 yr olds. To be honest, the insurance was the most expensive piece of our trip since we slept in our RTT at an RV park. Can't say anythign about a dog since we dont own any. We are USAA members and they have a section on their website that led us straight to an insurance company... can't remember what it was called though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles