M1078 LMTV expedition vehicle build

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Nice project

Where in the Central Valley are you located?

Do you have a floor plan?

We are still playing with a lot of options on the floor plan, but we think we have a general idea of the layout. We are planning on doing a blog post soon with some details on the floor plan.

Generically, the bed will be in the back, the bathroom will be where the LMTV spare tire used to be, and there will be relatively spacious kitchen / living area in the middle.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
I read somewhere that former military vehicles are not allowed to leave the USA. Is that true? Even if it's converted into a motorhome?

We have looked into this quite a bit before we bought the vehicle. We don't really plan on taking it to exotic countries, but we do plan to take it through Canada. We have researched Canada specifically, and it looks like there is no problem with it as long as we don't leave it in Canada or try to sell it to someone there. We've also personally met someone who has taken a larger version through Canada without any problem. He did say he got pulled over multiple times on the trip, just because the highway patrol was curious. No tickets or anything, they just wanted to check it out.

Michael

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
We aren't associated with OnShape in any way, but it is a pretty neat online CAD program AND it's free! We have been making a CAD model of the basic M1078 chassis so that we can design our camper hab to integrate nicely with the truck. We thought we would share the CAD model so that it can be helpful to others in their expedition truck designs.

The CAD model is fairly accurate for our intended use. The truck bed rails and interface areas are probably accurate within 1/8-inch. We included some more aesthetic features like tires, bumpers, and cab to help us visualize how our hab integrates with the overall truck. However, some of these features are less accurate in the CAD model and likely vary from truck to truck, anyway.

This is what is considered a de-featured model in engineering. Many truck components are intentionally omitted to keep the model simple and easy to work with.

Anyway, we hope the model is useful to others, but if you do use it, take it with a grain of salt. If you do use the model, you may find discrepancies between your truck and the model. We do not intend to update this model, so it should just be a stand alone file that people can access for reference in the future.

To use the model, go to OnShape and set up a free user account. Go to the search bar on the website and search for M1078. The search should show the model that we have made public. You won't be able to find the model unless you make an account and are logged in. The model is pretty big, so it will take a few minutes to open. Once it is open, you can model your own habitat, roof racks, and accessories on OnShape, or you can export the model and open it in a program that you may have at home.

M1078 LMTV on OnShape.jpg

Kenet

Been watching your progress on Steel Soldiers so I will watch over here also. Looking good!

dlh62c

Explorer
CAD modeling certainly helps put the peices together.

Consider tapeing off the living space, in scale, on a garage floor. This will give you some spacial awhereness as you move about the area. Add a mattress and some lawn chairs to simulate bedding, dining, kitchen and bath areas.

You have to consider the build as a whole and not as a collection of discrete tasks.

The interior design can drive your window and door placement or the window and door placement can drive your interior design.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
CAD modeling certainly helps put the peices together.

Consider tapeing off the living space, in scale, on a garage floor. This will give you some spacial awhereness as you move about the area. Add a mattress and some lawn chairs to simulate bedding, dining, kitchen and bath areas.

You have to consider the build as a whole and not as a collection of discrete tasks.

The interior design can drive your window and door placement or the window and door placement can drive your interior design.

We totally agree about the holistic layout philosophy. We actually have a fair amount of detail in our CAD model right now; it's really helping us decide on window size, window placement, and what purchasable items fit and don't fit (stove, shower...).

We agree with your thoughts on masking out and mocking up the floor plan. On another project, we made plywood mockups to test out ergonomics once and it was a big help. We have been working a lot on the floor plan, so we'll probably post here shortly with some details on what we are thinking. It would be nice to get some input from others on our layout.

Have a great weekend,
Michael

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Cool rig. More and more of these M1078 LMTVs are coming available as military surplus.

It is a cool truck. We've been working on it a lot lately. It's a really solid vehicle, but it does have a long list of things that need fixed and worked on. There are so many of them out there now that parts availability is no problem at all. They are becoming prevalent enough that it is pretty easy to find good help from experienced people, too. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to take on a big project like this, but the military did excess these particular vehicles for a reason. They do need work and you need to be fairly mechanically inclined or have deep enough pockets to get it all fixed up.

Michael

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
My wife and I are making good progress on getting our truck ready to be painted. The truck was pretty much covered in a thin layer of dried mud when we received it. It had also been painted multiple times. The last time it was painted, they over sprayed tan CARC on many of the hoses and wires. Functionally, it didn’t really hurt anything, but we wanted to get any of the flaking paint off the hoses so we can inspect them. The overall goal was to remove all the dirt and grime off the chassis so we could start the paint prep process.

20160715a (4) copy.jpg
Chassis Before

20160715a (34) copy.jpg
Chassis After

We are doing a myriad of other things; learning how to take the tires off the rims, removing lights, bumpers, and other smaller items we can paint off the chassis that will give us better access when we get to the final prep and are ready to paint.

20160717 (36) copy.jpg

removing-spare-tire-from-rim-1.jpg

removing-spare-tire-from-rim-3.jpg

truck-in-current-configuration.jpg

silvrzuki77

explorer
Are you going to run the high speed gears in the differentials?

Any reason you went with the 1078 versus 1083? 4x4 versus 6x6.... I'm sure length was a concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tienckb

Adventurer
Wow your wife is super awesome to join tackle with you on this project and willing to get dirty.

She's a keeper !

2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Are you going to run the high speed gears in the differentials?

Any reason you went with the 1078 versus 1083? 4x4 versus 6x6.... I'm sure length was a concern.

We just wanted the smaller 4x4. 6x6 seems like it works nice for some people, but we just didn't want to go to that large of a vehicle.

We're definitely considering the high speed gears. Right now our plan is to get the truck all fixed up and make the habitat. High speed gears and a list of other things will probably be add on projects later.

Michael

silvrzuki77

explorer
Very nice! I figured with just the 2 of you it would be a perfect size. We are the on the look out for a 6x6, but we have 3 kids.

Keep up the great work and details! Following along closely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior