M1078 LMTV expedition vehicle build

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
1. I am ditching these tanks for the self-sealing ones (75 gallons, $ 150 on E-bay).
2. And, I am enclosing them in a steel cargo box as I have not only seen people steel fuel but also drill into the tank.
In Mexico, Europe, Asia fuel is expensive and getting 50 + gallons is worth $ 200 +.

I'm not seeing a $150 75gal fuel tank anywhere.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
1. I am ditching these tanks for the self-sealing ones (75 gallons, $ 150 on E-bay).
2. And, I am enclosing them in a steel cargo box as I have not only seen people steel fuel but also drill into the tank.
In Mexico, Europe, Asia fuel is expensive and getting 50 + gallons is worth $ 200 +.

I've been thinking about the value of the fuel in our tank as well. I think we will stick with the stock fuel tank for now and possibly upgrade later.

I was also thinking of adding a second tank behind the stock tank, but we opted to mount an under bed cargo box there instead.

mounting-bed-box-mounts-4.jpg

Michael

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
A little update. I've been a little behind on keeping this post up to date, but for current info, check out our build blog.

We've been making really good progress. We have everything to re-assemble the wheels now. All the parts are in really great shape with all new tires, hardware, and seals. We are pretty much done powder coating all the small parts now, and the chassis is pretty much stripped down and ready for paint. We hope to start paining soon.

Today, we finished re-assembling the battery box and air tank assembly. It turned out really nice.

Michael
inner-wheel-halves.jpg

final-powdercoated-inner-wheel-rims.jpg

current-state-of-our-lmtv.jpg

roof-rack-1.jpg

battery-box-air-tanks-air-tank-shields-nato-connector-after.jpg

Ben Steiner

Adventurer
I've been thinking about the value of the fuel in our tank as well. I think we will stick with the stock fuel tank for now and possibly upgrade later.

I was also thinking of adding a second tank behind the stock tank, but we opted to mount an under bed cargo box there instead.

View attachment 380834

Michael

Any one on here know of a bigger fuel tank or have any ideas for extended travel?
Thanks

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Any one on here know of a bigger fuel tank or have any ideas for extended travel?
Thanks

Might check out any semi-truck salvage yards in your area. I've scavenged mine for various parts over the years including tanks. There's usually a variety of sizes and generally aluminum. If aluminum and strapped to the truck check under the straps. Aluminum, for those that don't know, might not rust but it can sure corrode.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
We are making steady progress on our truck. We got the back portion of the frame painted (we made a nice painting enclosure), and we got several of the wheels assembled. It's all turning out quite nice.

I'm really pleased with how the silver power coated wheel rims look with the XZLs and the schrader valve shields.

first-tire-with-assembly-kit-for-remaining-tires.jpg

first-inflated-tire-1.jpg

paint-booth.jpg

painted-rear-brake-drums-and-hubs-1.jpg

finished-painting-rear-third-of-chassis.jpg

FloridaFJ

Great post Michael, awesome build . I haven't checked through your other thread on SS so I'll ask the question here.
Is it difficult to register this truck?
What is the insurance carrier willing to insure this and is it different ( in terms of cost) than insuring a regular full size truck ?
I'm getting closer to getting one , I know the seller has a title but I haven't asked if it was insured nor registered .

Thanks

David

silvrzuki77

explorer
Really jealous of your garage also! Rims and the frame paint turned out really nice.

Are you using rattle cans for the frame/suspension??? Going to have mad finger strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
A little update. The project is coming along well. We finished all the frame painting last week. It was a ton of work, but it turned out quite nice. We just started cab paint prep this weekend.

forward-frame-painted-2.jpg

modified-paint-booth.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior