I need a hardcore Jeep tire.

cant get any more hardcore than

14068.jpg

4x4junkie

Explorer
I recently put a set of Toyo M/Ts on my other rig (33x12.50R15 load C)... The sidewalls on them were almost twice the thickness of the (old-style) MT/Rs I took off (over 3/8" thick in their thinnest spot). They also have a very substantial sidewall tread right above the shoulder. They measured exactly 33.0" tall @30 PSI when new.

I've had various BFG MTs & Goodyear MT/Rs (both the old & new) over the years, the Toyo has a much smoother on-road ride than any of them (the MT/R-K was the worst). That thick sidewall makes it a heavy tire though, I can tell a difference in the unsprung weight over large bumps, potholes, etc. I only have one offroad trip so far that included some relatively mild rock crawling, but they did fine... No perceptions that they wouldn't grip well.

Tazman

Adventurer
Just had BFG KO2 ATs installed to replace the 15 year old MTs on my CJ7 yesterday. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THE IMPROVED RIDE. The prior ride was harsh and hard to control while the new make it ride like a sports car. It is hard for me to believe the difference. When I attended the Expo this year, I spent quite a bit of time at the BFG area learning about their product. I have used their ATs on my rigs exclusively and the KO2 is wonderful. Rumor has it that the KO3s are one their way.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
A local contact imports tires for his own brand of tires. He said to bring him the old tire and he could fix it. He ground down two lugs and a 2.5" circle around the cut. He added layers of rubber and cord and vulcanized it. He said it was a cut and not a crack but it did looked cracked.

Before

image.jpg

After

image.jpg

I could not find anything I considered better than what I had. A new set of Krawlers was $1440 delivered but it's 10 year old technology and I'm not sure the Pirate 4x4 vendor could actually get them for months. Creepy Crawlers were my next choice at $350 each but I probably would have gotten the Treapadors Radials because of this smokin deal with free delivery. $220 each http://www.yournexttire.com/light-truck-tires/

I wrestled a new heavy duty Firestone tractor inmpement inner tube into the Staun inner bead lock then used the cheap Harbor Freight manual tire machine to mount it. Inner beadlocks (Staun is now Coyote Beadlocks) are my favorite piece of off road gear. They stop the tire sidewall from bottoming out on the rim and cutting them. It's like a bump stop for your tire. You can run single digit air pressure and when you do it supports enough of the sidewall that the vehicle is not loose even at 50 mph. Oh yea and it's an inner and outer beadlock. If you do get a flat on a hill it's acts as a run flat because it's 3" tall. You can keep going until your on safer ground. They are awesome IMHO but your a little wore out after installing one and is why they are not as popular as bolt on rings.

OSV

Adventurer
i wanted stauns at one point in time, but i couldn't afford to throw ~$900 at a set of four of 'em, then have to deal with the hassle of it all... i'd rather put the money towards a larger tire.

a 37" tire will give a bigger contact patch, it'll increase the distance from the tread to the rim, and it's a whole lot better in the rocks than a 35" tire.

when i'm at glamis i'll air down to ~9psi, and i never get stuck.

the problem is weight and cost of course, at $530+ per tire you take a beating, and even with about the lightest 37" tire/wheel combo on the market i'm still at ~125lbs a corner... mounting a big tire on a beadlock when you are 61 years old is no joke either, lol

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The KM3 is next for the BFG line running about a year behind the release but it is getting much close

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/bfgoodrich-km3-mudterrain-tire-testing-54462.html

Phil, how did you find that in a search? All I got was that bogus Zimbabwean link.
That tire is basically already out in the KR2 race tire that I linked to earlier and for the side by side guys a 30". It's **************! The 35 x10.50x15 only weighs 48 lbs. They unfortunately are cast in race rubber at the moment. I know they have a 33"x10.50 that the baja guys need for the front in the works. Believe it or not a lot of them run the same AT's you buy at Discount tire. I don't remember the formula but for every pound of unsprung rotating weight that you remove is like taking many times the weight off a vehicle. Going to light wheels and tires on our rigs would feel like removing the camping gear for example. I have a whole box of new light weight rotating goodies for the rail. I'll post a pict of the bling later but check out the side by side tire, the price and the same sidewall that's in your link.
http://www.holzracingproducts.com/product/bfg-kr2-30x10x15-utv-tire/

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Phil, how did you find that in a search? All I got was that bogus Zimbabwean link.
That tire is basically already out in the KR2 race tire that I linked to earlier and for the side by side guys a 30". It's **************! The 35 x10.50x15 only weighs 48 lbs. They unfortunately are cast in race rubber at the moment. I know they have a 33"x10.50 that the baja guys need for the front in the works. Believe it or not a lot of them run the same AT's you buy at Discount tire. I don't remember the formula but for every pound of unsprung rotating weight that you remove is like taking many times the weight off a vehicle. Going to light wheels and tires on our rigs would feel like removing the camping gear for example. I have a whole box of new light weight rotating goodies for the rail. I'll post a pict of the bling later but check out the side by side tire, the price and the same sidewall that's in your link.
http://www.holzracingproducts.com/product/bfg-kr2-30x10x15-utv-tire/

Looks like you searched KO3 and I searched KM3:)

In the past TT were the only non public tire BFG offered all others were the same. I have had my eye on the KM3 ever since it was rumored 1-1/2 ago. If I remember correctly the formula is 1 lb of rotating weight is equal to 10lbs of gross weight and yes I agree is an important spec that most over look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94