I need a hardcore Jeep tire.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
My 35x13.50x15 BFG Krawlers last 10 years and over 30k miles. The tread is still good but the sidewalls are ripping from running low air pressure. I only drive it to the trails and have a trailer for far away places like Moab. I may wind up with a new set but I've been there done that and want something different and maybe lighter. It still sees enough street that I don't want a biased Super Swamper. I can get a fair deal on Maxxis Trepador Radials in a 12.50 but have never seen them or know if the sidewall will handle our rocky trails? What would you look at?

MOguy

Explorer
I am hard on side walls, I have had good luck with my bias ply super swampers they aren't as bad on the road as you may think but still not a good choice for a daily driver. You say you are trailering your jeep. In the past I had the old style MTRs and was VERY hard on the side walls and they were great on road. From what I understand the new MTRs also have a very strong sidewall and should be very road friendly.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Trepador is a good tire. Pit bull rocker, maxis trepador, maxxis creepy crawler, toyo, m/t or Goodyear mtr is all I would consider for dedicated dirt rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DiscoDino

Observer
Nothing beats the Interco SX tires in terms of side-wall...Treps maybe...the SXs come in a nice 36x12.5 size that is skinny-ish and doesn't go to a full 36" height...might be worth looking into...

Not gonna drive nice though ;)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Nothing beats the Interco SX tires in terms of side-wall...Treps maybe...the SXs come in a nice 36x12.5 size that is skinny-ish and doesn't go to a full 36" height...might be worth looking into...

Not gonna drive nice though ;)

You and MOguy need to stop right now! You must know that's what I want.... TSL SX 36x12.50x15 was on my last Jeep. We lived and wheeled near Hot Springs AR. It was so good they turned it into an off road park. I watched 1000 rigs and one tire in one size was light years above the rest. That one.^^^. No close second. I bought the Krawlers because they are soft and balanced radials. The SX tired jeep was a death trap over 45mph. In Arizona our speed limits are 75mph so I can go no slower about 60 without getting run over. The spare is on and it's a Swamper TSL. 34x9.50x15. It drives the same but it's a spectacle.

image.jpg

MOguy

Explorer
My jeep does 70 just fine with Super Swampers bias ply. It will go faster. I have driven it 200 mile plus in a day at highway speeds.

Lucky j

Explorer
Did the same with 35" boggers, and never balance. But they were 10.5" wide on 7" wheels.

Hard to beat bias on sidewall strenght. By the way, a friend of mine as 35 pitbull rockers, and he rearly drive the jeep on the road anymore. He does not like them for the road. So I dought they would be fun at 70 mph.

But 10 years of hard labor and you are complaning of how they look now???? Are you kidding?? Think about it, seriously! I wonder if any tires would really be that better looking after so many years.

Any how, if you do not have to much mud in your life, I would try the mtr kevlar. They are on my list to come, but not as a mud tire.

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
Did the same with 35" boggers, and never balance. But they were 10.5" wide on 7" wheels.

Hard to beat bias on sidewall strenght. By the way, a friend of mine as 35 pitbull rockers, and he rearly drive the jeep on the road anymore. He does not like them for the road. So I dought they would be fun at 70 mph.

I use BBs to balance my Swampers.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
But 10 years of hard labor and you are complaning of how they look now???? Are you kidding?? Think about it, seriously! I wonder if any tires would really be that better looking after so many years.

Any how, if you do not have to much mud in your life, I would try the mtr kevlar. They are on my list to come, but not as a mud tire.

I'm not complaining. They just never wore down. I don't air them up unless I'm hitting the interstate and they have seen some long days at 6-7 psi. Add the Arizona desert heat and the poor things were abused. I had one nail and a couple of Staun beadlock problems and that's it. Only performance problem was Pritchet in Moab. On one wall you have to spin the tires to slide your rig sideways and crabwalk. That's the only way up. I could not spin or slide so we wet the tires. I'm eyeballing these new 10.50 BFG race tires but they may be too wimpy. what do you think?
http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com/bfgoodrich-baja-ta-kr2-class-10/

They are under 50 pounds
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/class10-35-inch-tire.122988/page-2

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ten years is a long time for tires. Consider yourself lucky.
Tires are only designed to last 6 years due to ozone deterioration. They rot. The reason they're black and you don't see lots of boutique colors is because black is the color of the least expensive ozone inhibitor available.

MOguy

Explorer
I'm not complaining. They just never wore down. I don't air them up unless I'm hitting the interstate and they have seen some long days at 6-7 psi. Add the Arizona desert heat and the poor things were abused. I had one nail and a couple of Staun beadlock problems and that's it. Only performance problem was Pritchet in Moab. On one wall you have to spin the tires to slide your rig sideways and crabwalk. That's the only way up. I could not spin or slide so we wet the tires. I'm eyeballing these new 10.50 BFG race tires but they may be too wimpy. what do you think?
http://www.bfgoodrichracing.com/bfgoodrich-baja-ta-kr2-class-10/

They are under 50 pounds
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/threads/class10-35-inch-tire.122988/page-2

I have a BFG MT 33X9.5 for a spare. It is under 50 lbs including the rim and not to heavy to sit on the tailgate of my TJ. The side walls are very thin. I would assume that the tires you mention would also have thin side walls. I think i would pass on them. My BFG MT is fine for a spare but I would never consider it for full time use.

)

comptiger5000

Adventurer
What about the radial swampers? They might be a little more livable on the highway than the bias versions but should still grab pretty well.

tyvanwie

Trepador is a good tire. Pit bull rocker, maxis trepador, maxxis creepy crawler, toyo, m/t or Goodyear mtr is all I would consider for dedicated dirt rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X2 on pitbull rockers and goodyear mtr's. I've personally seen both of these tires take a lot of abuse and hold up just fine. Both in 37" flavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior