Sidewall strength, tire pressure, and tire quality

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I worded that wrong, I meant to imply I would have to bust two tires to "win", like you. One tire to break even.
They will rotate and balance for life. It covers sidewall damage, chunks and flats. My problems were all manufactures warrenty problems not road hazard. I bought 4 tires and they replace two that separated after 15k miles. Shortly after the other two bubbled up. I was happy because they were used and chunked. After that 16 psi rock test I did in this thread I have two more bad tires that will be replaced on Friday. That's 10 tires for the price of 4 plus what I pay for the warrenty on each tire. At this rate I'll roll on new tires forever.
Don't let the tire shop tell you they rebalanced them when they get bumpy on the road. Bumpy or out of balance is separation so unless weights fell off the tire is going bad. They can go a year with bumps and cracks on the inner ply and the shop will just keep adding weight. People get sick of them and just buy new tires. Don't be fooled. Check your tire and find a weird spot. You call the manufactures hotline with the serial number and they will send you to a dealer to cover that under strict laws. Road hazard is piece of mind to beat them as hard as you want and not worry about sidewalls so I buy it. When they do get covered by the manufacture like mine, the road hazard pays for better customer service, mounting, balance and they deal with the manufacture with no questions asked. You still need to know what the manufacture covers so the dealer does not try and pro rate out and charge you on a tire that is fully covered by the manufacture.

Reactions: WVI

pwjazz

I know this is an old thread, but in case it's of use to anyone, here's some feedback from General Grabber on their ATX tire that's a 2 ply available in both SL and E load ranges. Short version - there's no significant difference in off road durability due to the load rating. I'm new to this stuff and don't know much, so take it for what it's worth.

XJLI

Adventurer
I know this is an old thread, but in case it's of use to anyone, here's some feedback from General Grabber on their ATX tire that's a 2 ply available in both SL and E load ranges. Short version - there's no significant difference in off road durability due to the load rating. I'm new to this stuff and don't know much, so take it for what it's worth.

This has been the case since the LT rating (4,6,8 whatever ply) became "ply rating" and didn't refer to the actual number of plies. That, and tire tech has improved greatly since you needed some Baja Belteds to go offroad. For whatever reason, people still pander that a load range E is stronger than the same tire for offroad duty in SL rating. It isn't. It's just because someone pops stock street tire, and replaces it with some crazy load range E mud tire and now say the new tires are stronger. Yes, obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior