Cistern as a camper body?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Start with this http://www.rootsimple.com/2010/10/volvo-camper-by-john-ross/ to get idea of what Im thinking..... but not so ridiculous/genious/mad scientist as on top of a Volvo. Instead ..... ontop of a Flat bed Military truck. For my purposes I actually don't want one I can stand up fully in. I'd shoot for around 60" tall. Much more would make the total truck too tall

ideas to steal from http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/500-fuel-storage-tank-shelter-gives-me-an-idea/

P1010257.jpg

What do you thimk?

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Looks good to me. Check that its plastic is UV resistant to assure decent lifespan.....
Did't think of UV. Wonder if paint that would adhere properly would help with that issue. Since these are made to be buried I bet they are not UV resistant.

Loo idea...... that's funny... until it works then it's genius. Would be too tall and weak for my project

Last edited:

Silverado08

Observer
Start with this http://www.rootsimple.com/2010/10/volvo-camper-by-john-ross/ to get idea of what Im thinking..... but not so ridiculous/genious/mad scientist as on top of a Volvo. Instead ..... ontop of a Flat bed Military truck. For my purposes I actually don't want one I can stand up fully in. I'd shoot for around 60" tall. Much more would make the total truck too tall

ideas to steal from http://www.tinyhousedesign.com/500-fuel-storage-tank-shelter-gives-me-an-idea/

P1010257.jpg

What do you thimk?
Ive seen water containers about the same size,made of similar white plastic,Id imagine those would have to be uv resistant since being used outside all the time...this was on farm and for water delivery..

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Those tanks are UV resistant and in fact, the same plastic is used for making "mini barns" for smaller livestock housing. VERY tough stuff. You can get decades of use out of one. Very well insulated as well making them warm in winter and you won't have to do much for insulation. Just make sure you have appropriate ventilation. The large caps usually have smaller caps in the center.

How fancy do you plan on getting with your camper? Plumbing, heating, electricity?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Those tanks are UV resistant and in fact, the same plastic is used for making "mini barns" for smaller livestock housing. VERY tough stuff. You can get decades of use out of one. Very well insulated as well making them warm in winter and you won't have to do much for insulation. Just make sure you have appropriate ventilation. The large caps usually have smaller caps in the center.

How fancy do you plan on getting with your camper? Plumbing, heating, electricity?
hmmmm.. will have to check out Livestock housing. I've not seen insulated water tanks. Will have to search those too. Underground Cistern's are built more sturdy for they are meant to be burried and that Sturdyness is a big facter in deciding if I go this route. Otherwise I could just use a Hi Lo travel trailer as the camper box.

Yes on elec., heat AC, Plumbing, etc. Full camperbox setup. Move thru Camper on a roller office chair so no need to stand.

Last edited:

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
hmmmm.. will have to check out Livestock housing. I've not seen insulated water tanks. Will have to search those too. Cistern's are built more sturdy for they are meant to be burried and that Sturdyness is a big facter in deciding if I go this route. Otherwise I could just use a Hi Lo travel trailer as the camper box.

Yes on elec., heat AC, Plumbing, etc. Full setup. Move thru Camper on a roller office chair so no need to stand.

I meant the plastic is VERY good insulation in itself. As I said, ventilation will be your biggest issue. For heat, I'd recommend just using a heat lamp cause you're not going to loose a lot through that thick plastic. That way, you don't have to worry about venting gasses from a propane heater and is a LOT easier to control and more efficient than an electric heater.

As for strength, you can stand on top of them without a problem. Plus they flex very well, even in cold environments so they're hard to damage. Check out your local farm supply store and I'm sure they can help you out with what you want.

Oh, if you plan on adding a water tank out of a smaller cistern, make sure you get one made of black plastic instead of translucent white. The black is so that light cannot hit the water, which prevents mold, moss and algae from growing and spoiling the water.

KE7JFF

Adventurer
Looks good to me. Check that its plastic is UV resistant to assure decent lifespan.
(I am a big fan of roof hatches too, Nice to see them already incorporated.

But I think my idea is better.
Get a few of these things. Anybody with minor ingenuity, RTV & sheetmetal screws can assemble an ultimate modular camper what nobody will want to mess with.
View attachment 353904

I seem to remember that you can get the sections individually of portable toilets........

lilgription

Observer
That's actually a great idea. Try to be minimal with the interior pieces and it can still be decent to load and unload. I would imagine a small heat source would be efficient

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne