How long is too long for an expedition truck/camper?

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I know this is a loaded question, and it is different for every application. But ill ask the question as a whole.

For worldwide travel, what length is too long for a European style expedition truck? 20, 25, 30?

Anyone with experience who would have some insight?

jamesk

Observer
I can't answer your question as I've never been to Europe, but I know that earthcruiser specifically stayed below 22ft long for some park restrictions.

Curious for the true answer!

I know this is a loaded question, and it is different for every application. But ill ask the question as a whole.

For worldwide travel, what length is too long for a European style expedition truck? 20, 25, 30?

Anyone with experience who would have some insight?

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
Ah yes, the old question... And everyone will have a different answer.

I think in the end that it will always boil down to where you plan to take it. Larger (longer) rigs will outperform smaller rigs in some places and underperform in others. Since I travel the small military roads in the Alps a lot, a large vehicle would never do it for me. However, I have been in places in the Sahara where a bigger vehicle would have made my path easier...

For what it is worth, that is the advice I have for you.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
How long is your truck?

Ah yes, the old question... And everyone will have a different answer.

I think in the end that it will always boil down to where you plan to take it. Larger (longer) rigs will outperform smaller rigs in some places and underperform in others. Since I travel the small military roads in the Alps a lot, a large vehicle would never do it for me. However, I have been in places in the Sahara where a bigger vehicle would have made my path easier...

For what it is worth, that is the advice I have for you.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I have a family of 5. Im waffling on the idea of a 13 or 15 foot camper. The 13'=23' truck, 15'=25' truck. is the space im gaining/losing really make a difference?

Darwin

Explorer
You are already going to be large, so I would doubt an extra 2 feet would make any major difference. I don't know about Europe, but small market towns in central america can be pretty tight though.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
You are already going to be large, so I would doubt an extra 2 feet would make any major difference. I don't know about Europe, but small market towns in central america can be pretty tight though.

For central america as long are you are smaller than a school bus you will be just fine. :)

Haraald

Observer
Well at least in America, if you want to stealth park a night or two, most of California is...

20140607_181110-copy.jpg

toymaster

Explorer
My F350 is 7'6" and 21' long. Where is that? I will avoid that city.

100% sure not cop will bother you for the 6" in height. I am positive the intent of the law is to stop commercial vehicles from parking there, possible RVs but it is hard to guess since the larger area is not shown in the picture.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
100% sure not cop will bother you for the 6" in height. I am positive the intent of the law is to stop commercial vehicles from parking there, possible RVs but it is hard to guess since the larger area is not shown in the picture.

They should have just said no commercial vehicles. My experience is if they can write a ticket, they will.

chet6.7

Explorer
I lived in a small town that had those vehicle height restricted signs,tickets are an important revenue stream for the city.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya

A lot of Euro camper spaces are aimed at 6m, and mainstream campers are often built to fit that. But we cruised around a fair bit at about 7.5m long and 3.9m high without much issue with a relatively short wheelbase and therefore good turning circle, and with a rear overhang about 1m high so we could leave the back end over vegetation etc at the back of a 5.5m car parking space if needed.
Having said that our next truck will have a much bigger turning circle and be about 9.5m long despite knowing most places will suit smaller vehicles.
:)

Haraald

Observer
That sign is from San Francisco, but I'm told it's common across urban California. It's an attempt to stop RVs and vandwellers, not commercial vehicles. Your (and my) truck would be fine there. I feel bad for the people with those expensive Sprinters that are excluded by this restriction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94