Family Overland Vacation

oneshot1001

Hitting the road/dirt tomorrow. :smiley_drive:

"North Texas family of six with extra time on their hands gets ambitious...."

Hello travelers, I'm Nick and my wife has agreed to all of this. Taking four kids each under 40lbs in our Land Rover LR3 over the Colorado sections of the Trans-America Trail heading west. Gonna hit some parks in UT and AZ, drop through Vegas on the way to the Pacific. (My wife hasn't been over/past the Rockies before). Next we do the kid stuff at Disney and Legoland and head back this way.

Rough idea:
image.jpeg

I've also been playing with the road trippers website and you're welcome to vote for my trip in the contest there called 'Overland West' (cannot post link apparently).

More to come

Instagram oneshot1001

Last edited:

oneshot1001

Got my tools, tow strap, and diapers. Say a prayer for us and the LR3. We're off. (I'm seeing the attached map on safari and through tapatalk app, but I re-added it)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gunpainter

Observer
Have fun! We just got back last week ourselves, and my daughters and I (11, 7 1/2) are leaving for our adventure (no momma this one) on the 21st.

Branden

oneshot1001

Staging complete

Enjoyed a smooth highway ride up the Texas panhandle today. Steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo to say farewell tonight. Sorry if the rest of y'all don't get it. (Home of the free 72oz steak). Then we added some paint to Cadillac Ranch off I40 before heading north.

Starting to get worried all the Colorado passes aren't open. (Imogene). Anybody know otherwise?

HouseVVares

I tried Imogene about 3 weeks ago during our summer trip and it was still closed. Good luck with your trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

gunpainter

Observer
Enjoyed a smooth highway ride up the Texas panhandle today. Steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo to say farewell tonight. Sorry if the rest of y'all don't get it. (Home of the free 72oz steak). Then we added some paint to Cadillac Ranch off I40 before heading north.

Starting to get worried all the Colorado passes aren't open. (Imogene). Anybody know otherwise?

Buddy of mine was just up there last week and did Imogene, Black bear, and some others.....lucky bastard. I wanted to do just yankee boy basin while I was out in that area and my wife said no. :(

Branden

oneshot1001

OK to CO successful

One muddy puddle crossing and one we went around easy enough. Got passed by six bikes. (Video on IG).

Using iPad mini to navigate was perfect. Verizon model dipped in and out of service.

Played with the terrain controls a bit through the mud and a climb
image.jpg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oneshot1001

Would you believe I'm averaging 19+ mpg on/off-road. Most of the day by choice was kept around 25-35mph with some sections ranging from crawl to 60+.

All passes open according to San Juan Fs.usda.gov website as of today!

image.jpg

Last edited:

eloist

Adventurer
Awesome man. I hope to do some long trips in our lr3 with the little one and the hound dog. Praying the Rover gods keep you trouble free.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

oneshot1001

Up into the San Isabel national forest the views were constantly improving. Once we passed into the national forest we hit the 4x4 only roads which is exactly what I was hoping for. Testing our clearances and suspension travel along gorgeous ridges. The LR3 makes most of it easy with the options to raise height, terrain controls, and hill descent control. Happy to report they all worked brilliantly.

I've never really used such nice features off road. I definitely noticed the different throttle response in the special programs. My lovely wife took the wheel through some sections and had a blast.

For the record the rear seat entertainment system works just fine while using hill descent control. I was quite pleased the kids didn't want to watch movies all day like on the interstate.

Last edited:

oneshot1001

2ceecd35d450358aa4db0b270c239628.jpg

bd1f2f0511e8d49c30967a03e8fee5f5.jpg

3885496239c9212ab2de99de288899aa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Oh man that looks awesome! Glad to hear your wife is having fun and getting into the off road portion of y'all's trip. LR looks killer in its natural habitat!
I'm from Mansfield, TX so I know those views are not what y'all see everyday. lol

oneshot1001

this trip is turning into many great memories. I find myself struggling with the thought of leaving the trail and returning to our normal. If nothing else I've at least gained much more confidence we can hit the trail without months of prep. The LR3 is totally stock on road tires and it tackles everything effortlessly. Most of these roads we could have done in our old Suburban 2wd. (It would have clearance issues with many points though.

Near Cotopaxi there was a section blocked off by a sheriff. we detoured a bit pleasantly along a river with rafters passing by. There was also one unique sign along the roads that said 'locals only'. We mostly just get waved at by anybody we see though including authorities.

NE of Salida CO
1f07d85f9be19926342d9f5809e19156.jpg

Got to the hotel last night and a guy standing there in the parking lot saw our dusty car with Texas plates. (I had to wash it once already because mud was in the drivers side wheel causing a wobble at higher speeds). The guy says "I hope you didn't do it to here in one day." He was shocked to hear we've been off-road for several days. "Yep, since Oklahoma." This journey seems overwhelming to many we know, and yet we aren't even camping this trip. The hot tub and pool was nice for the kids today.

oneshot1001

Colorado was thrilling! Finally had to leave the TAT due to spending so much time playing in the San Juans.

We did Marshall, Engineer, and Imogene passes. Saw one other Discovery, Jeeps for days, some Toyotas, tons of ATVs, and a few other trucks. We seemed to be a novelty when rock crawling to the others. The Bridgestones just walked up and down these mountains.

We successfully drove the TAT from OK to Telluride CO in a stock LR3 without a single issue. We also ventured off on a couple more challenging detours.

36a313a45ce8783867ebec42db5896f7.jpg

88be19c044ab15ae7c0c20b391f92089.jpg

3056dfdccd4178c7a16f41dd82a54e75.jpg

739814b063942979e0ee182ea37817e2.jpg

610af0eee5b0eb9aca562772ad30d717.jpg

f63696476d41307cd0c47e1a2fc1a429.jpg

e44c483e20ca963f94615e077640fd95.jpg

On to some adventures in Utah....and Arizona....and....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online