UZJ100 built for the long trip south

gerardines

Observer
Good platform, UZJ100 were sold all over southamerica Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Chile ... the 295/75 r16 are too big for the 100 series, wont perform as good as 265 or 285 at most and that size is not common in southamerica. A 105 series would be more suitable but you can do pretty much the same in a 100.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Good platform, UZJ100 were sold all over southamerica Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Chile ... the 295/75 r16 are too big for the 100 series, wont perform as good as 265 or 285 at most and that size is not common in southamerica. A 105 series would be more suitable but you can do pretty much the same in a 100.

All good points. I did lose a bit of power with the 295's, had 275's on it before. But again, it is really not bad at all and I got zero rub. I here ya about availability of the 295's down south but I did x2 trips to Panama and back (35k miles in total) with a set of BFG A/Ts and never had a single issue.

I would love to buy a 105 (or several) and a 70-series to haul all my stuff but I am starting from the bottom with what I got. If the business does well I am sure I would make the move to 105's. Right now though it is going to be one truck and the majority of my time spent down south for at least the first 6 months is going to be spent designing and setting up trips.

Cheers

zolo

Explorer
What is your idea with the business? Are you thinking South America or Central? Do you have any particular country in mind to settle?
Let's hear more how this beast will be used.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
What is your idea with the business? Are you thinking South America or Central? Do you have any particular country in mind to settle?
Let's hear more how this beast will be used.

Adventure tourism. Overland travel in Land Cruisers. Guided trips that involve active adventures. Running a river in the jungle for a few days, sea kayaking for a few days, surfing remote locations, ect ect ect.

Both south and central, may be starting in central first.

Don't have a country in mind yet, I have seen every one from here to Colombia so far. There is a lot left for me to see in South America. If I had to pick one right now, probably Nicaragua.

The trips will be all inclusive. Land Cruisers will be the transportation for the actual clients, transport the gear and get us to remote locations. Land Cruisers will be set up for comfy base camping.

Cheers

zolo

Explorer
Adventure tourism. Overland travel in Land Cruisers. Guided trips that involve active adventures. Running a river in the jungle for a few days, sea kayaking for a few days, surfing remote locations, ect ect ect.

Both south and central, may be starting in central first.

Don't have a country in mind yet, I have seen every one from here to Colombia so far. There is a lot left for me to see in South America. If I had to pick one right now, probably Nicaragua.

The trips will be all inclusive. Land Cruisers will be the transportation for the actual clients, transport the gear and get us to remote locations. Land Cruisers will be set up for comfy base camping.

Cheers

Nice all sounds good.I wish you luck with all of it. Leaving Jackson is not a bad thing. It will always be there man.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
BlueBerry bumper ordered today along with Slee 2nd battery kit. Over a year I been looking at all these bling parts like 9.5XP, LED bar, Odyssey 1200 and National Luna 2nd battery kit plus lot's of other small goodies. Time to put it all on my 100!!

Did 55+mph for 30 miles down a gravel road on Saturday, almost caught some air off a cattle guard. Got to break the suspension in somehow! ;)

Truck goes in on Thursday for timing belt, w/p, valve cover gaskets and few other small parts I picked up like thermostat and drive belt. Might do the started brushes too while it is apart. Having Toyota do it because they were fairly cheap on the labor and I got tons of other stuff to be working on.

After this I will be dealing with the front axles, buy some sliders and probably first week in August buy the roof rack. I really might add a rear bumper and I am think hard on DT headers and new exhaust.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Nice all sounds good.I wish you luck with all of it. Leaving Jackson is not a bad thing. It will always be there man.

20yrs here in the J-Hole, I am done and out. It has been good and fun but I do not plan to come back.

Cheers

zolo

Explorer
20yrs here in the J-Hole, I am done and out. It has been good and fun but I do not plan to come back.

Cheers
I understand. I was there for one fire season on the B.T. and that was enough for me.
My brother lives in Driggs and I lived in Island Park for a while also, so I'm familiar with the area. Love the area but had a hard time adapting to J-Hole.
Well I'm curious about were you land. So I will be following the trip more than the build.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I understand. I was there for one fire season on the B.T. and that was enough for me.
My brother lives in Driggs and I lived in Island Park for a while also, so I'm familiar with the area. Love the area but had a hard time adapting to J-Hole.
Well I'm curious about were you land. So I will be following the trip more than the build.

It was one hell of an awesome place in the 90's when I came here. Now not so much. Just to many people, many of which are not very cool. I been just working for the last 17yrs and hiding out. I do get some enjoy time in but for a long time now I go far out, again just to many people for my liking.

Selling everything I got is a weird feeling but it also fits all this. I came to JH with everything I owned, it all fit in a Subaru. I will be leaving JH with everything I own, it will all fit in my UZJ100! :)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just fitted a BlueBerry bumper and my Warn 9.5xps. Stoked! Also installed the Slee 2nd battery kit with my Odyssey 1200. The kit is meant for an ARB compressor too but I am mounting my National Luna 2nd battery kit there along with my control box and remote set up for my winch to it. Going to have to make some brackets and modify it a bit but no worries. Also going to have to fab up some mounts to fit my LED bar to the BB bumper, no worries on that either. Digging my 100, it gets better every addition! :)

Cheers

Looking forward to your build and adventures! I enjoyed your writing and trip report when you had your Taco. Funny you mention getting out of the rut. My second oldest sister and BIL are staying with me a few weeks, they retired 4 years ago and move slow as turtles. I cant imagine working to 66+ and not really getting to enjoy my what's left youth!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Good point but I am pretty sure the same UZJ100 platform was sold in some Latin countries. I have seen them in Colombia and I think perhaps Chile and maybe even Panama. I know most are 105's or 100's with the TD and 5spd but I don't think they all were.

I already have x2 coilpacks in the truck. Got a half dozen Toyota oil filters too. My truck is in really good condition mechanically and I am prepping it for the trip south but ya', I will be taking some spares. I just can't get to crazy because I am already planning on taking x2 collapsable kayaks, x2-4 surf boards, x1 inflatable kayak, fishing gear, camping gear, ect ect and this on top of an already heavy truck loaded dwn with extra fuel, water, bumpers and so forth.

Cheers

My list doesn't reflect parts you can't find in CenAm/SoAm but rather parts that are common "gotchas" in the back-country i.e. keep you from getting out of the jungle into a city where you can source or order those parts. All of the items I've listed can be repaired in the field but can leave you stranded or seriously improvising without. The 2UZFE isn't exactly common down that way, I've spent my fair of time crawling through that area specifically spotting Cruisers, off-road shops, Toyota dealerships and Cruiser groups. I've seen more wild Buffalo in Utah than I have 2UZ's in CenAm/SoAm :D

Looks like your build is progressing quite nicely, you're going to continue loving the 100, they really are a killer platform.

Sempertoy

Explorer
you will love the DT headers if you get them. I bought mine with them already installed and I think they are awesome.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Love to see some pictures!

Soon! Work in progress still. I was just on your site last night browsing some gear. ;)

you will love the DT headers if you get them. I bought mine with them already installed and I think they are awesome.

Awesome! I really want to put them in, just have to wait and see as I need other stuff first.

I was out of town for nearly a week, backpacking in Oregon. I came home to find my new Front Runner roof rack sitting on my porch. :) I got the full sized rack with the full sized camp table and slide. Already assembled it, just need to do the rails on the roof and it is done. I think next up may be awning, fridge slide (need drop down) and a drawer set up. Oh ya and sliders. I bought a 1986 Toyota pickup for dirt cheap. New motor but it stuck a valve. I am fixing it and selling to fund my rear bumper. :)

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles