UZJ100 built for the long trip south

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
My list doesn't reflect parts you can't find in CenAm/SoAm but rather parts that are common "gotchas" in the back-country i.e. keep you from getting out of the jungle into a city where you can source or order those parts. All of the items I've listed can be repaired in the field but can leave you stranded or seriously improvising without. The 2UZFE isn't exactly common down that way, I've spent my fair of time crawling through that area specifically spotting Cruisers, off-road shops, Toyota dealerships and Cruiser groups. I've seen more wild Buffalo in Utah than I have 2UZ's in CenAm/SoAm :D

Looks like your build is progressing quite nicely, you're going to continue loving the 100, they really are a killer platform.

All duly noted Kurt. I will for certain be putting together a spare parts kit and will use your post as reference! :)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Alright here is a few pictures. I really like the roof rack, it was not cheap but I feel you get what you pay for. I already tested it by sitting up there while I was working on it, no worries at all. I started out by mounting the table to the back but after the first try putting it up there decided to move it to the side. I might move it again, it is kind of a feel it out type thing. Absolutely love the table though as well as the mounting system for it. I scored a nice bit of gear today that was also on my list. Not going to mention it though until I get it!

roof rack2.JPG
roof rack1.jpg
roof rack.jpg
roof rack3.jpg

Oh ya, the other day I also bought a pair of 2nd hand rear cargo wing window motors. One of mine is busted and I got both for under the price of the cheapest single one I could find online. Happy about this too.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Looking forward to your build and adventures! I enjoyed your writing and trip report when you had your Taco. Funny you mention getting out of the rut. My second oldest sister and BIL are staying with me a few weeks, they retired 4 years ago and move slow as turtles. I cant imagine working to 66+ and not really getting to enjoy my what's left youth!

Hey apologies, I kind of missed your post.

Thank you for the good words about my previous escapades. I don't want to say to much yet because nothing is set in stone and I change things up often. However, when I was in Baja winter before last I met the most amazing guy in Cabo Pulmo. He is a young (early 20's) Mexican guy who had just sea kayaked across the Sea of Cortez. He even did it in a sit on top kayak, no thanks!! They (his father & himself) even weathered a class 5 hurricane in a cave on an island! He had-has amazing stories. It is not often a young guy like this leaves a lasting impression on me or even impresses me with his character but this guy did, big time! I stayed in touch with him and he will be joining me on this route finding set up a business adventure. I think I already have him convinced to be the first guide besides myself in the new company. I am really stoked on all this because he is a very positive guy with a very cool and calm demeanor that I get along great with. His personality and character also fits perfectly with what I have planned and with clients. He has much he could teach me and I have much to teach him. I think we will make a great pair and it will be a great start to this new venture! He says he has years to spare to go all the way to TDF, we both enjoy the exact same kinds of activities too such as; kayaking, surfing, fishing, rock climbing, running rivers and all this kind of stuff. We will see how it goes but I have a really good feeling about this guy and him going along with me.

On top of this I have firmed up my plans a bit more. If all goes well I am out of my house December 1st, everything sold by then. I will take a week or two out in Oregon to see friends and family before heading to California to spend the holiday with more family. By January 1st I plan to be on a beach in Baja. My two uncles, all that is left of my dad's side of the family are getting pretty old. I need to spend time with them before I go or should I say, they are going with me! At least for Baja. They used to go down there with my grandpa back in the day and so I am picking them up in Oregon and we will do at least two weeks in Baja before I send them home from Cabo. I have missed out on a lot of family stuff these last 20yrs so this is really needed. A life long friend is also pretty set on joining me for three months of the trip. We will see, she has a lot going on right now. Point is, I won't be sleeping in the truck and plan to have x3 passengers from time to time and one full time. So it is going to be a bit more traditional of a build from say my last truck. I am kind of planning to sell seat time and trip time in the truck as I go for way cut rates. I have seen another company doing this on facebook while they route find and all that jazz. Seems like a great way to keep going (gas money, ect) and basically get the company off the ground. I already have a hand full of friends who are ready to do this as soon as I am south and they will make my best first clients since they will be very honest with me.

I just enrolled in a Wilderness First Responder course for this fall here in the J-Hole. Something I have wanted to do for a long time but now I feel it is a requirement for what I will be doing.

I didn't get married or have kids on purpose and that was so I could follow a life of adventure. I got sidetracked from this many years ago and I have waited to long already, it is time to go now. I feel really good for my age and am still active in outdoor stuff. I was just backpacking last weekend and this is one of many activities I love to do and have done most of my life. Now I just plan to do it full time rather than when I can find time. It is what I have always been meant to do and it is passed time for me to fall in love with my career and be passionate about it again. I have lost that in the last 17yrs working here in the J-Hole. The company will mix up everything I love to do in one package. I know it sounds like it is all abut me but that is not it at all, that is just the internet. I plan to send people home from trips with their mind blown, them talking about it for weeks if not months and them coming back for more! Everybody who knows me knows I do not disappoint! :)

Cheers

zolo

Explorer
Good point but I am pretty sure the same UZJ100 platform was sold in some Latin countries. I have seen them in Colombia and I think perhaps Chile and maybe even Panama. I know most are 105's or 100's with the TD and 5spd but I don't think they all were.

I already have x2 coilpacks in the truck. Got a half dozen Toyota oil filters too. My truck is in really good condition mechanically and I am prepping it for the trip south but ya', I will be taking some spares. I just can't get to crazy because I am already planning on taking x2 collapsable kayaks, x2-4 surf boards, x1 inflatable kayak, fishing gear, camping gear, ect ect and this on top of an already heavy truck loaded dwn with extra fuel, water, bumpers and so forth.

Cheers

Just a heads up, 100 and 105 were never in Chile. Argentina appears to have 100, 80, Prado 150, and 120. Although when I travel there I don´t see them very often.
I literally have seen one 100 series were I live and it was imported for sure. That engine is pretty rare in South America.

One other thing I have always thought about regarding the 100 was the starter. If it fails that leaves you will very little options for field repair. I always though it would be a good idea to run a direct wire from the starter motor itself, not the solenoid and have it go to a remote and accessible lug somewhere in the engine bay. So if needed you could turn on the ignition and simply jumper directly to the motor to get the truck started should the solenoid fail. I've never actually done it but its something I have thought about doing.

justcuz

Explorer
Or just convert it to the Ford style remote solenoid.

Sounds like a great adventure. If you plan on residing and running a business in another country, how will you handle your residency? What legalities must you comply with to be legit down there? Are you pretty fluent in Spanish?

I am always intrigued by vehicles in South America, a couple objects of my desire are a Ford B-150 (a Suburban style 3 door SUV) specifically the 80-85 US body style.
I also like the Chevy Bonanza (basically a K5 Blazer) and Chevy Veraneio (basically a square body Suburban)
Both these Chevy products looked like 73-91 bodies with front sheet metal that looked similar to an early Ford Ranger.
The solid axle 105 Land Cruisers are a much simpler vehicle down there correct? Not a high end vehicle like Land Cruisers are here.
How popular are Nissan Patrols down there? I am sure you know they are a very stout vehicle for your business model.

Not many folks in your shoes, most of us had a mortgage and families by your age, we will have to live the dream vicariously through you and your updates.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Or just convert it to the Ford style remote solenoid.

Sounds like a great adventure. If you plan on residing and running a business in another country, how will you handle your residency? What legalities must you comply with to be legit down there? Are you pretty fluent in Spanish?

Not wanting to get into to much of this at this time and on the forum. I may or may not give up my citizenship. I may or may not obtain that in such and such country, I may even get both. Up in the air at this time. Not planning to set down any real solid roots for sometime, a year, maybe even 2-3. Also up in the air. Many benefits to ex-pats in many Latin countries to go down there and start a business, such as tax exempt for 5yrs or more. Residency with minimal investment, ect ect ect. Most Latin countries have a federal tax but it is much lower than up here. I speak enough Spanish to get myself to Panama and back but yes I need much more. The Mexican guy speaks both fluently, he can teach me a lot, I may stay somewhere for a month and go to a Spanish school.

I am always intrigued by vehicles in South America, a couple objects of my desire are a Ford B-150 (a Suburban style 3 door SUV) specifically the 80-85 US body style.
I also like the Chevy Bonanza (basically a K5 Blazer) and Chevy Veraneio (basically a square body Suburban)
Both these Chevy products looked like 73-91 bodies with front sheet metal that looked similar to an early Ford Ranger.
The solid axle 105 Land Cruisers are a much simpler vehicle down there correct? Not a high end vehicle like Land Cruisers are here.
How popular are Nissan Patrols down there? I am sure you know they are a very stout vehicle for your business model.

Not many folks in your shoes, most of us had a mortgage and families by your age, we will have to live the dream vicariously through you and your updates.

I am familiar with Patrols and many other non-US trucks. Thing is I know LC pretty well and they are a good selling point. Your last statement is exactly why I must go.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I guess I didn't post these pictures yet, I thought I did. National Luna dual battery set up with Slee 2nd battery kit. As mentioned I modified the Slee kit to hold my winch control box and the NL solenoid. I had already made all the long cables for my 80, actually shortened a few of them since I had both batteries in the back of my 80. Saved a lot of money having the cables already to go, big wire is not cheap! Everything is soldered and shrink wrapped + sheathed for most of the length of runs. I love how you can just go right in the top posts on the Odyssey batteries. Winch is ran off main battery not aux. Also my LED bar from the Short Bus bumper, just made my own mounting tabs to fit it. I run my winch with a remote kit so you can see that mounted up by the airbox on the fender. The wire tied to the airbox side of the 2nd battery kit is for the remote kit, going to need to be winching I just plug it in and run the remote from the cab. Wiring wise it was much easier to mount the control box how I have it rather than flat and it works fine either way for plugging in the remote wire. I still need to run a power wire to the back of my truck off the 2nd battery to a fuse panel back there, power fridge, lights and accessories.

winch.jpg
LED.jpg
2nd batt.jpg
2nd batt1.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Few more pics even! Main battery and my very simple mod to mount it, rubber blocks! :) Powerfilm solar panel a buddy gave me. And awhile back I de-woodgrain trimmed my interior. :sombrero:

main batt.jpg
solar.jpg
dash.JPG

Cheers

justcuz

Explorer
The Spanish class may be helpful, but actually speaking to people seems to work best for me.
I was surprised how much German I pulled out of my memory banks after a week in Wiesbaden.
The more you force yourself to use Spanish the faster you will become fluent.

It will be cool to spend time with your relatives down in Baja too. When I was younger I loved hanging out with older guys and listening to their stories. A lot of free wisdom gained!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The Spanish class may be helpful, but actually speaking to people seems to work best for me.
I was surprised how much German I pulled out of my memory banks after a week in Wiesbaden.
The more you force yourself to use Spanish the faster you will become fluent.

It will be cool to spend time with your relatives down in Baja too. When I was younger I loved hanging out with older guys and listening to their stories. A lot of free wisdom gained!

Yup, agree. Just being on the road down south and my Spanish gets way way better fast.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So I have narrowed things down a bit and made more decisions. I am really close to buying a set of drawers, I know what I want, it is pretty well decided on. Also I am getting a new fridge slide that will drop down since the fridge will be on top of the drawers. This I have also pretty much decided on. I have also decided that a rear bumper is happening, reasons being I don't really want my spare under the truck, I sliced that up good down in Johnson Valley last winter just doing mild off-roading. I plan to do some pretty good off-roading down south and don't want to deal with 6" gashes in my spares sidewall. On top of this I already have good jerry cans and would rather not be pulling 5-gallon cans off the roof. Plus less weight up top the better. My next big reasons for the rear bumper are I have a FR BBQ I like and want to take, it's meant to strap to the spare tire. I also have a Howling Moon trash bin that I want to use, it needs to strap to my spare tire. Last reason is for carrying my highlift jack. In the past I carry this inside the truck but that won't be possible with this build and I do not want it up top.

I feel x2 jerry cans will be enough spare fuel so not planning on doing any aux fuel tank. It would be nice (had 500+ mile range in my Taco) but it is not needed at all. It is pretty much 45mph in Central America everywhere. The 100 gets over 16mpg if I am doing 55mph so my range greatly increases in Latin America, doing 80mph my range sucks but not going slower. If I am geting decent mpg I can get close or even over 400 miles with the two jerry cans.

I am not getting crazy with things like hot water onboard or lots of lights. For camp lighting I may just go with some LED clip ons because they are cheap and easy to use and go anywhere I want, ie not fixed. I already have a couple Baja Design LEDs I will probably mount at the back of the truck but besides this, nadda. I will have a fuse panel at the back of the truck, run power ports, the BD lights and my fridge off this. That is about it. Headlamps work for any and every thing else.

As far as the rest of the build, there is not a lot I want or feel I need to do. Lockers would be nice but not really needed and I have a winch. I do plan to get far off the beaten track so they would be useful but not used enough to make it worth the expense. For air I am just going to get a new air compressor, my old Viair is getting pretty beat, I have had it since 2009. Upgrading and replacing it is on my list. I am still going to get set up with GPS but have not looked into it at all yet. A stereo is happening in the 100 too because the stock one is just beat and I need good tunes for the road. I will likely do a few security things to the truck but won't be detailing that much here in the thread. I may also do Slee skid plates, just have to wait and see. I am going to do some Fluidfilm or similar to the chassis for rust proofing. My chassis is in really good condition and I want to try and keep it that way, lot's of time camping on or near the beach so it needs something in the way of rust proofing. Not much else to do to the truck other than some maintenance stuff. I am betting I have to go to HD rear coils though and maybe even air bags. The truck is going to be heavy, that I have no doubts about.

My truck is kind of beat on the outside simply because the clear coat is shot in a few places. I also have the few dents in my fender from the ditch incident in June. Last weekend in Oregon I pin stripped the heck out of both sides of the truck. I am leaving all this alone for the time being. Not even close to being worth it to me to pay to have this fixd up here in the USA, just costs way to much. Plus I will be beating up the truck more on the trip. I am playing with the idea of having the truck painted down south in Mexico or say Colombia. Pretty cheap to do it down there compared to up here.

As far as adventure gear. I already have a really nice inflatable kayak for running rivers. I already have a surf board but will likely pick up another along the way. I need to get some new rock climbing shoes and a new rope, otherwise I am set for that gear. I also need a bit of new fishing gear but from my experience most of that is best to buy on the road. I may grab a good spear gun though before leaving as these are harder to come by on the road. I already have backpacking gear which doubles as river or sea kayak gear. I also already have snorkeling gear. I need x2 new camp chairs since I only currently have two. I need a little bit of stuff for my kitchen but not much, mostly already set up in this department for both base camp and light weight camping. I am buying a "trainer kite" because who doesn't like to fly a kite on the beach!? It will also help me learn kite surfing which I plan to learn on the trip. If and when I get to S. America and I want to go snowboarding or climb some mountains I will just have to pick that gear up down there. I already have dry bags and tons of other outdoor gear so I don't need to buy to much. I do have one big expensive purchase though in this department. That is x2 Trak Kayaks. I want sea kayaks on the trip, I could even say I need them. Having taken a 16.5ft bright red sea kayak all the way down to Panama before I know without any doubt that is not the way to go. Not only is it big and bulky it is a huge flashing sign on the truck saying "I am a gringo!". The Traks are collapsible kayaks that pack down into golf bag sized bags. I have used them before and have a buddy who is sponsored by Trak. That is about it really, got wet suits already and my padi card. :) If things start happening fast for the new company I will need more gear fast, for this I will simply do a mad dash back up north if I am not in S. America, grab the gear and head back down south. Or just get it shipped to me. I certainly may end up renting a house somewhere at some point for a home base. Even if I just want to explore a certain area for a month or more. Luggage wise I will be going light. The amount of clothes I own will become pretty small when the trip gets started. I got no issues washing stuff regularly in camp or hotel bathrooms. :)

Cheers

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
I gotta say that it is freaking awesome what you are doing! It happens all the time where someone will work work work, and say "I'll do this or that when I retire" and for whatever reason it never happens.
What a grand adventure you will have, I will definitely be following along and maybe one day come on one of your excursions!
My wife and I will be moving to Costa Rica in probably 6 years, just a totally different kinda lifestyle down there for sure.
Best of luck to you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I gotta say that it is freaking awesome what you are doing! It happens all the time where someone will work work work, and say "I'll do this or that when I retire" and for whatever reason it never happens.
What a grand adventure you will have, I will definitely be following along and maybe one day come on one of your excursions!
My wife and I will be moving to Costa Rica in probably 6 years, just a totally different kinda lifestyle down there for sure.
Best of luck to you

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks! It is a big move, even for me. Walking away from my home for the last 20yrs, a business I have had for 17yrs and much more. I am even leaving my dog behind who I have had since he was 6 weeks old, he turns 14yrs old this month. That is the hardest thing to do as well as leave many many lifelong friends and of course family. We only live once though and to hesitate or hold back leads to regret.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke